Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!

Go down 
+52
ZombieHavoc
the sentinel
deathisgain
Medieval Torture Device
Runicen
Required Fields
Thelemech
mlotek
Eyesore
Temple of Blood
metalinmyveins
Sutekh
Svengo
scottmitchell74
Troublezone
Wurthless
bgsully
bass63
MetallicSeminarian
MoonChild
RAIDwarden
Wayne
Red Kitty
Orion Crystal Ice
springozzy
SpectreFate
corplhicks
stepcousin
nevermore
Alex Dee Rokket
DevZor
brokentulsa
Shawn Of Fire
Fat Freddy
tul
Boris2008
AchrisK
choosemetal
manny
Gilbert
Lari
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
James B.
Witchfinder
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
exact33
journeyman
thejokeriv
MEGATRON
kmorg
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 7:08 pm

I'm really interested to see what they can do with the first album
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2015 10:07 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm really interested to see what they can do with the first album

That's a fairly inexpensive recording, I wouldn't expect a revelation.

For the record, I really don't have a problem with the production on that album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 2:16 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
Sweet!
http://geargods.net/video/iron-maiden-remaster/

Yes!  I can't wait to hear these remasters.

The audiophile board I post on are ripping these to shreds. Piece Of Mind on the new remaster has a DR6 rating (brick walled) while the original Japanese CD release of the same album is DR13. Sadly it appears the rest of the titles are in the DR6 to DR7 range. In other words, Iron Maiden bends their catalog over the table yet again and f**ks it.

Pass.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 2:25 pm

Man... That really sucks.

I wish the Castle editions (with the second disc) weren't so hard to come by at a decent price. I did score some 2-for-1 discs that included an album and a volume of the "Singles Collection" covering the same ground, but I can't speak to dynamic range. I'm assuming they're Eastern European bootlegs of the Castle stuff.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 2:29 pm

***I wish the Castle editions (with the second disc) weren't so hard to come by at a decent price***

When I was living in Hawaii I bought all those editions that were available. Like a damn fool I sold them while I was there when I ran into some financial trouble. I would love to find them again.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:01 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
Sweet!

The audiophile board I post on are ripping these to shreds.  Piece Of Mind on the new remaster has a DR6 rating (brick walled) while the original Japanese CD release of the same album is DR13.  Sadly it appears the rest of the titles are in the DR6 to DR7 range.  In other words, Iron Maiden bends their catalog over the table yet again and f**ks it.  

Pass.

That makes no sense to me. Why go through all the trouble to painstakingly go through all that work just to brickwall the end result? It's like restoring the Mona Lisa to it's original brilliance, then painting a mustache on it at the end.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. Why go through all the trouble to painstakingly go through all that work just to brickwall the end result? It's like restoring the Mona Lisa to it's original brilliance, then painting a mustache on it at the end.

The worst offender I've yet encountered was the Soundgarden Superunknown deluxe edition. It comes with a damn Blu-ray with the producer gushing about how we finally get to hear it the way they do in the studio. I can only assume that he meant we'd hear it the way they do in the studio after decades of hearing loss from listening too loud in the control room. Some songs come off better than others, but that release was slammed in the face with a snow shovel as far as the dynamic range was concerned. Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:32 pm

These days just about the only remastered or remixed albums I'll purchase are the ones done by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, Audio Fidelity or Steven Wilson. Cause I KNOW they are quality work done by top shelf technicians who know what real music should sound like.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:37 pm

S.D. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
deathisgain wrote:
Sweet!

The audiophile board I post on are ripping these to shreds.  Piece Of Mind on the new remaster has a DR6 rating (brick walled) while the original Japanese CD release of the same album is DR13.  Sadly it appears the rest of the titles are in the DR6 to DR7 range.  In other words, Iron Maiden bends their catalog over the table yet again and f**ks it.  

Pass.

Good to know.... pass on buying I'll stick to the 180 gram vinyl
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
These days just about the only remastered or remixed albums I'll purchase are the ones done by Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, Audio Fidelity or Steven Wilson.  Cause I KNOW they are quality work done by top shelf technicians who know what real music should sound like.  

I know this is my broken record topic, but I seriously hope more engineers start getting on the bandwagon with regard to getting the best QUALITY out of the material during a remaster/remix. It seems a damn crime to me that bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden languish in brick wall land while bands like Tears for Fears get loving remasters and repackagings of their music.

Not to take away from Tears for Fears, but nobody can tell me that bands like Priest and Maiden aren't just as worthy of the TLC on their back catalogs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 3:56 pm

Here's hoping Steven Wilson has time to work his magic on many more recordings, for those interested here is the complete list of albums he's done so far (all albums feature a 5.1 mix, a new stereo mix and most come with DVDs or Blu-Rays also containing the original mix and much bonus material)

Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - ELP
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Tarkus
Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory
Hawkwind - Warrior at the Edge of Time
Jethro Tull - Benefit
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Jethro Tull - War Child
Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon
King Crimson - Lizard
King Crimson - Islands
King Crimson - Lark’s Tongues in Aspic
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
King Crimson - Red
King Crimson - Discipline
King Crimson - Beat *
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair *
Roxy Music - Roxy Music *
Simple Minds - Sparkle in the Rain
Steve Hackett - tbc (2 titles) *
Tears for Fears - Songs from the Big Chair
XTC - Drums and Wires
XTC - Nonsuch
XTC - Oranges and Lemons *
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Close to the Edge
Yes - Relayer
Yes - tbc *

* - finished but not yet released/announced

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 4:02 pm

Aren't they basically mastering them to be compressed and still be loud? Isn't that essentially what "mastering for iTunes" is?

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing more, but I can personally vouch for the fact that the Gentle Giant, Jethro Tull, King Crimson and Tears for Fears reissues sound amazing.  His ability to make some really busy and grungy sounding King Crimson albums shine makes me wish he had more of an interest in turning his talents to massaging the audio in some classic metal albums.

Hell, he's good enough I think he could even make early Emperor albums sound expertly recorded.  Laughing

As for "Mastered for iTunes," I've always just assumed that those were masters designed specifically so they could be compressed using lossy formats like those iTunes distributes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 4:12 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Aren't they basically mastering them to be compressed and still be loud? Isn't that essentially what "mastering for iTunes" is?

They also released Hi-Res versions via HDTracks in 24bit/96khz and these are the ones people are bitching about the most, because for the premium price you expect a quality product, not the same brick-walled crap we got with the 90s remasters.

No audiophile would be caught dead buying a "mastered for iTunes" lossy download.  Very Happy

**For the record, despite popular opinion I am not a militant audiophile, those idiots are the ones with more disposable income than common sense who will buy $200 speaker wires and spend $20,000 on their main system.  I'm more of a practical audiophile, I want the best possible source material that will sound good on basic consumer gear.**
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2015 5:22 pm

S.D. wrote:
**For the record, despite popular opinion I am not a militant audiophile, those idiots are the ones with more disposable income than common sense who will buy $200 speaker wires and spend $20,000 on their main system.  I'm more of a practical audiophile, I want the best possible source material that will sound good on basic consumer gear.**

I'll second this attitude. There is the suspicion that, while you could buy a turntable that costs more than an average car, your gains in performance over, say a $500 turntable in good repair through a similarly good receiver aren't in line with how much more you're spending.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:03 am

This is great news

Bruce is cancer free:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2093488/bruce-dickinson-cancer-free-iron-maiden-singer-declared-free-from-tongue-cancer-after-mri/
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:28 am

^^ Woohoo!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 8:44 am

Great news. Not sure he will be able to sing for a while.

now where is this new album???? Bring it on!
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 9:23 am

Best news of the week!

Now a release date, please
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 12:37 pm

Lari wrote:
Best news of the week!

Sure is!!
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:10 pm

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Imagejpeg
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:12 pm

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 5:32 pm

Great News !
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 3:13 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
^^ Woohoo!

headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitimeSun May 17, 2015 5:01 am

Awesomeness
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!   The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!! - Page 11 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Official IRON MAIDEN thread!!!!!!!
Page 11 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next