Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:39 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I am a fan of Van Hagar, but I understand the detractors. The production was much more polished and the heaviness dissapeared (though it came back some in F.U.C.K.). The Roth era had certain magic to it that Van Hagar just could not match (and from the two DLR albums I have, it couldn't match it either). This album definatly brings that magic back. While the first four songs are decent, it really kicks in for me at Blood And Fire. I'm really enjoying this (though I have two more songs to go) and it should have plenty more spins from me in the future.

Just wait until Bullethead kicks on............... Blast that stereo!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I am a fan of Van Hagar, but I understand the detractors. The production was much more polished and the heaviness dissapeared (though it came back some in F.U.C.K.). The Roth era had certain magic to it that Van Hagar just could not match (and from the two DLR albums I have, it couldn't match it either). This album definatly brings that magic back. While the first four songs are decent, it really kicks in for me at Blood And Fire. I'm really enjoying this (though I have two more songs to go) and it should have plenty more spins from me in the future.

Yeah, I totally agree that DLR solo didn't possess the same magic that DLR with VH had. This is one of those cases where the sum of the parts of DLR with VH is greater than the individual pieces.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:42 pm

Quote :
...Van Halen can still write albums as good as Fair Warning or Diver Down

Could he have picked a worse possible example than Diver Down? I mean, that record is practically the textbook example of "filler".

4 new songs clocking in at a total of 14 minutes (Hang 'Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars, Full Bug)

3 short "instrumentals" to pad the track total (Cathedral, Intruder, Little Guitars intro)

5(!) Cover tunes...

If he's trying to make the argument that they "can't write 'em like that anymore" he really screwed up with his choice of examples. Dude has probably never even listened to the old Van Halen albums.

Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:46 pm

chewie wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I liked Bullethead but not as much as some of the others. Of course this is only my first time listening so, we'll see next time around.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:55 am

S.D. wrote:
Quote :
...Van Halen can still write albums as good as Fair Warning or Diver Down

Could he have picked a worse possible example than Diver Down? I mean, that record is practically the textbook example of "filler".

4 new songs clocking in at a total of 14 minutes (Hang 'Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars, Full Bug)

3 short "instrumentals" to pad the track total (Cathedral, Intruder, Little Guitars intro)

5(!) Cover tunes...

If he's trying to make the argument that they "can't write 'em like that anymore" he really screwed up with his choice of examples. Dude has probably never even listened to the old Van Halen albums.

Laughing very hard

Diver Down is quite an album considering the events surrounding it. The band was suppose to be on a break and the record company forced them back into the studio and 12 days later they came out with this. An unplanned and unwanted project. Since Pretty Woman hit so big the idea came about to do an album of covers. That didn't go over so well with Eddie, but he acquiesced and busted a.. trying to make other people's songs Van Halen tunes and succeeded big time. They owned them and Dave picked some hard ones too. This is the album that proved they didn't take themselves too seriously as rock stars. The only padded song is Intruder which came about because the video was longer than the song. The real odd ball was Big Bad Bill with outside players (A first for VH). Hang 'em High and Cathedral is worth the price alone. I like the album because it sounded like the band was sitting around throwing idea's around and someone hit record. I get the feeling that it was a fun album to record. It is the weakest of the era, but fully representative of the band's ability to turn a raw deal into something cool. Cover tunes can be harder to make your own than writing a new song is basically my point.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 am

It may be covers, but it resonates VH vibe...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
It may be covers, but it resonates VH vibe...

I think S.D really dislikes "Diver Down" cause it did not have a poster of Dave in leather pants chained to a fence like the lp before.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 11:37 am

DallasBlack wrote:
chewie wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

I liked Bullethead but not as much as some of the others. Of course this is only my first time listening so, we'll see next time around.

All I know is that there is a lot of fun in Eddie's playing, He's riding that horse neighing whammy bar thing on that tune. Outer Space is another kick ass tune with Eddie sounding like he is having a great time(sounmething about it reminds me of Atomic Punk, maybe the solo????). I'm still digging this album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 pm

I didn't say that I disliked Diver Down, it's a rather enjoyable listen for the most part...but the writer of that article Shawn posted used it as an example of Van Halen's earlier writing skills and it's the worst choice in their catalog for that.

It's not like Van Halen is great significant art...they are good rock 'n' roll which is good enough for me.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 1:35 pm

I think you guys got my hopes to high for this. While better then most of their latter work other then a couple songs it feels like filler to me. Just my take.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 2:33 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I think you guys got my hopes to high for this. While better then most of their latter work other then a couple songs it feels like filler to me. Just my take.

Give it a few more spins. It'll grow on you.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 2:41 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Give it a few more spins. It'll grow on you.

Listen to this man, a man who has been known to be too metal for even Wikipedia
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 2:41 pm

Like a fungus huh? \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 5:49 pm

I spun it today. I agree with Black, er Dark Horseman. It's OK but pretty meh overall; most of the songs don't have enough melody to keep my interest. I don't find much very memorable on it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:17 pm

There are definitely a few filler tracks.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:24 pm

I agree there is some filler... and it doesn't even come close to the early classics... But it's pretty decent considering all the years they've been dormant.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:34 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I agree there is some filler... and it doesn't even come close to the early classics... But it's pretty decent considering all the years they've been inactive.

Yeah, I'll give you that. And I think Eddie sounds great on it; actually DLR doesn't sound too bad either. My complaint lies with the songs. I just don't think many of them are very good. Take the track "As Is". WTF? That song just can't find a melody to save it's life; it's all over the place.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
I agree there is some filler... and it doesn't even come close to the early classics... But it's pretty decent considering all the years they've been inactive.

Yeah, I'll give you that. And I think Eddie sounds great on it; actually DLR doesn't sound too bad either. My complaint lies with the songs. I just don't think many of them are very good.

Outta Space, Big River and Beats Workin' are pretty good. I think they have a spark of the old VH vibe.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 6:40 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Yeah, I'll give you that. And I think Eddie sounds great on it; actually DLR doesn't sound too bad either. My complaint lies with the songs. I just don't think many of them are very good. Take the track "As Is". WTF? That song just can't find a melody to save it's life; it's all over the place.

It's missing those Micheal Anthony vocal harmonies. Anthony's voice is as identifiable to Van Halen's sound as Alex's drums or Eddie's guitar. You hear those big harmonies and go, "Ah, that's Van Halen!" It's also missing those high-pitches screeches that Dave use to throw into every song. Still, I'm really enjoying this album quite a bit. "She's The Woman" and "Big River" sound like they could've been on VHII.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Eyesore wrote:

To me, the fillers are the first four songs and the last song.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:20 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

To me, the fillers are the first four songs and the last song.

I actually like the earlier part of the album better than the middle. I basically stopped paying attention around "As Is".
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:34 pm

Man, Bullethead and As Is, are my favorite tracks! But as I've said before (there's no accounting for taste). For some reason I can't figure out, I really didn't want to like this release. I was pretty sure this was going to be a disaster, but despite myself I really enjoy it. I will agree, however, it is sorely missing even one really good catchy chorus. One that I find myself singing in my head for hours afterward. But there is just so much fun crunchy rock'n'roll and air guitar moments that I can't help but go back for more.

Last edited by DevZor on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 8:46 pm

I will say that even though I was disappointed with this album, it's still better than I ever thought it would be when I first heard about this reunion.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:04 pm

One man's filler is another man's masterpiece.

I bet if we interviewed people and asked them "which tracks are filler?" we'd end up with a list of every song on the album. It is after all just a personal opinion.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 pm

S.D. wrote:
One man's filler is another man's masterpiece.

I bet if we interviewed people and asked them "which tracks are filler?" we'd end up with a list of every song on the album. It is after all just a personal opinion.

Definitely.

But based on this release I will say I'm interested to see what VH comes up with next. Assuming they can stay together that long. Whereas I'd written the DLR version of VH off a long time ago before I heard this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 22 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 22 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 25 ... 29  Next