Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 7:05 pm

Listened to the whole album in the car. I need to give it a few more spins, but it sounds pretty good to me. It's certainly not going to top the first four albums, but it's a good listen nonetheless. The first song is kind of a dud. Surprised to read on the sticker that it's the choice as the single. The silly "stay frosty" song was sort of refreshing and fun. Reminds me of classic Dave-era stuff.

I think it was a mistake to not have Micheal Anthony on the album. His vocals really were as important to the band as Eddie's guitars and Alex's drums. They do some nice things with layering vocals, but it's not the same. As well, his bass runs are absent. I sort of wish I didn't know he wasn't in the band, but knowing I was listening for those things and they weren't there.

I need to give it a few more spins, but so far I'm liking what I am hearing.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 pm

S.D. wrote:
Dave's personality is the real difference between the two eras, he has the ability to "SELL IT" like few others in the hard rock world, it adds a sense of abandon and recklessness to the proceedings...and I think that attitude inspires the band to greater heights. That rooster-sure swagger is only present when DLR is fronting the band.

...when Hagar is on vocals it just doesn't work for me at all. When Dave is behind the wheel it's a badass muscle car...with Hagar it's a Volvo station wagon.

Well stated. Roth is not really a singer, he's a personality.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 7:14 pm

ultmetal wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Dave's personality is the real difference between the two eras, he has the ability to "SELL IT" like few others in the hard rock world, it adds a sense of abandon and recklessness to the proceedings...and I think that attitude inspires the band to greater heights. That rooster-sure swagger is only present when DLR is fronting the band.

...when Hagar is on vocals it just doesn't work for me at all. When Dave is behind the wheel it's a badass muscle car...with Hagar it's a Volvo station wagon.

Well stated. Roth is not really a singer, he's a personality.

I agree completely. I like Hagar's solo stuff a lot more than VanHagar; he just seemed to be going through the hit-making motions in VH IMO.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 8:03 pm

I always wondered what happened to the Hot For Teacher video babe. She is absolutely smokin' for 60 years old!

http://awards.music.yahoo.com/blog/171-hot-for-teacher-star-surfaces-after-bands-grammy-buzz
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 pm

That's a 60 yr old???

Sign me up!

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Well, I'll go to my grave loving the Van Hagar era. I think it showed a whole other side to what Ed was capable of. Believe it or not, it's not an easy thing to write catchy, memorable AOR hooks.

Either way, I'm a fan of the "Van Halen" entity is all it's forms...and there's no denying the magic present in the DLR era.

Listened to the album again on Spotify...it's really good. "Tattoo" still boggles my mind and IMO is clearly the weakest tune on the album. "Honeybabysweetiedoll" is like a blend of "Loss Of Conrtol" and "Pleasuredome". I love "As Is", "Big River" and "China Town". I will be picking this up next week.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:28 pm

I am going to pass on this one. Its ok and maybe ill get it used but i am not shelling out the dough full price for it.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:39 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Well, I'll go to my grave loving the Van Hagar era. I think it showed a whole other side to what Ed was capable of. Believe it or not, it's not an easy thing to write catchy, memorable AOR hooks.

What the hell do you know about AOR?!

What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:41 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What a Face

best question of the day!!! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What a Face

Not a damn thing...

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What a Face

Not a damn thing...

i knew i should have read more before I bought those Line of Fire cds..... angry
Back to top Go down
http://exact3.tripod.com
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 pm

tohostudios wrote:
That's a 60 yr old???

Sign me up!

I was really surprised myself. Cheryl Tiegs and Carol Alt are looking pretty good at their age, too. Smile
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 10:41 pm

I like both eras of Van Halen, though I slightly prefer Hagar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2012 11:31 pm

I completely give the Hagar era credit, there are some good songs and they were nicely polished. It's just not my thing.

AOR is a 4-letter word to me. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:19 am

I think Hagar is a good singer... but Dave is the better showman.

Last edited by Troublezone on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 9:29 am

I prefer the Roth era over Van Hagar but 5150, OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge are great albums. Definitely a different sounding band. I think Carnal is the best Hagar album, great party rock for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Nico
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Nico

Number of posts : 444

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 am

The only Van Hagar song I like is "Right Now". Eddie's piano and guitar playing on that song is top-notch! Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 25679
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 1:27 am

I finally broke down and bought it today. After being less than impressed with the samples I heard I wasn't planning on it. Its great to hear eddie really let loose on this disc. I don't know what I was thinking when I previewed this stuff. I must have been in an over critical/negative headspace because I've been having tons of fun cranking it. Even tattoo doesn't seem so bad without that atrocious video attached to it.
Back to top Go down
Dellocatus
Metal student
Metal student
Dellocatus

Number of posts : 131

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:40 am

After a few spinnings: there are many good songs on this album. I like it although I'm not a huge VH fan. I'm especially into the last one. Beats Workin' is great. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:29 am

I spun this album quite a bit in the car this weekend. Sounds great cranking out of a car stereo. Can't wait for summer when I can roll down the windows and blast it at my fellow motorists.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:32 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I spun this album quite a bit in the car this weekend. Sounds great cranking out of a car stereo. Can't wait for summer when I can roll down the windows and blast it at my fellow motorists.

Just turn it down when you go to pump gas...I hate "that guy"... lol!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Will do Wink

Listening to Chickenfoot III right now and Van Halen is the clear winner here. Chickenfoot is good, but it can't compare to the upbeat party that is A Different Kind of Truth.

I've come to appreciate the Van Hagar years and I like both Chickenfoot albums, but I'll always be partial to the Roth-era albums. They just had a swagger and attitude that can't be matched.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Call the VH reunion what it is...

Last edited by Shawn Of Fire on Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 pm

My copy came today. I'll listen to it tomorrow on my way way to and from work.

Finally I can enter this fray...

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:38 pm

I am a fan of Van Hagar, but I understand the detractors. The production was much more polished and the heaviness dissapeared (though it came back some in F.U.C.K.). The Roth era had certain magic to it that Van Hagar just could not match (and from the two DLR albums I have, it couldn't match it either). This album definatly brings that magic back. While the first four songs are decent, it really kicks in for me at Blood And Fire. I'm really enjoying this (though I have two more songs to go) and it should have plenty more spins from me in the future.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 21 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 21 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 25 ... 29  Next