Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Empty
PostSubject: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 2:45 am

So let's discuss this album. A lot of people are excited. I'm reluctant. This is the same band that wrote Van Halen III, remember. Cherone took the flak for that, but he didn't write the album. Of course, I don't think it's that bad of an album; but it's definitely not great.

But I found this interesting...

That's from the show they just did. It's one of their earliest demos, and it's supposedly going to be on the new album. Interesting. You can't really tell from that video, but it's a really good song.

Do you think it bodes well for the new album when they went back to 1976 for music?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 7:25 am

It's a very good thing that they went back and used older material. Hopefully they can recapture where they left off with Roth 28 years ago.

But it still sucks that Michael Anthony can't be a part of it...

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 7:42 am

I will reserve judgment for when I hear it.

I hope it will match their 80s material but that all depends on the chemistry in the band and how they are approaching the songwriting for the album. The fact that they are using older material is promising. Realistically I don't expect them to recreate the sound of any of the DLR-fornted albums but I would like it if they record something similar in vibe to RATT's Infestation.

Something that sounds old school yet does not feel dated or like they are trying too hard to be the same band of 25+ years ago.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:28 am

I don't think it's a good omen that they're digging up music that 30 years old.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

tohostudios wrote:

EVH does not write "new" music for a specific album. He & Al write and record ideas all the time. When they feel like putting an album out, they go over old & newer tapes of music and pick out whatever strikes them...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:32 am

tohostudios wrote:

I disagree. Look at the last couple albums they did with new matarial (not very good imo). But they were excellent 30 years ago.

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:34 am

Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I disagree. Look at the last couple albums they did with new matarial (not very good imo). But they were excellent 30 years ago.

But it means this will likely be a one-off project. Unless the band can write new material this reunion won't last long or will become a nostalgia act.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:35 am

I think it is going to be a great album and I am looking forward to it, IMO the chemistry between Roth and Van Halen is magic, I do not expect 1978 or 1984 again, but I except it to be good, hell I except to be excellent, this guys seem hungry to prove they that can still deliver the goods, and live this guys are still incredible
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:43 am

tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

But it means this will likely be a one-off project. Unless the band can write new material this reunion won't last long or will become a nostalgia act.

I think the comeback album needs to be nostalgic. If they stay together, I'm sure they will add more updated/contemporary songs on the next one.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:45 am

Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I think the comeback album needs to be nostalgic. If they stay together, I'm sure they will add more updated/contemporary songs on the next one.

The way DLR and Van Halen brothers get along, I am surprised they even completed an album, so I wouldn't hold my breathe for a follow up anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:47 am

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

The way DLR and Van Halen brothers get along, I am surprised they even completed an album, so I wouldn't hold my breathe for a follow up anytime soon.

It's a business... they don't need to be friends. The Van Halens can keep to themselves after the shows.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:07 am

Van Halen is well known for using ideas from years earlier. For instance, "Right Now" existed in some form at least as early as 1984.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 am

I guess I'd rather they re-use scraps from 1976/77 than sit down today and try to write new stuff that sounds "retro," if that makes any sense.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 am

A Different Kind of Truth? Is that gonna be the album name? First I've heard of that. This is rumored to be the cover...

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Vanhalencover

As for them re-hashing old tunes, I don't mind it. Give it a new spit-shine and let 'er rip. Try to recapture the old spirit. Megadeth did it with their last album and the songs sound great.

Quote :
Van Halen is well known for using ideas from years earlier. For instance, "Right Now" existed in some form at least as early as 1984.
Yea, and 'House of Pain' from 1984 was an old tune from their club days too. It's nothing new for VH.

Quote :

It wouldn't surprise me either if this was a one and done album either. They'll put out the album, tour, make a ton of scratch then sit back and do nothing for another 10 years. They're getting too old to record, tour, record, tour, etc. All the old demons will re-appear (Dave's ego, Eddie's drinking) and that will be the end of the reunion.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:36 am

Quote :

It wouldn't surprise me either if this was a one and done album either. They'll put out the album, tour, make a ton of scratch then sit back and do nothing for another 10 years. They're getting too old to record, tour, record, tour, etc. All the old demons will re-appear (Dave's ego, Eddie's drinking) and that will be the end of the reunion.

I think with Eddie's son in the band, they may do things a little more often. From what I hear, Wolfie is the one that pushes the band to play the older stuff...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:12 am

The thought of Wolfgang being the driving force behind the band is a worse omen than them re-hashing 30 year old tunes!! Razz

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 am

SWEET!! Just got a press release from our PR dept. Van Halen is playing at my building on March 5th!! In addition I saw this...

Quote :
In addition, Van Halen confirmed their new album, A Different Kind Of Truth, will be released in the U.S. by Interscope Records on Tuesday, February 7. The first single from the album, "Tattoo", and its accompanying video will be debut simultaneously on Tuesday, January 10, with album pre-orders starting that day. A Different Kind Of Truth is Van Halen's first original studio album with singer David Lee Roth since the band’s classic multi-platinum album 1984.

Last edited by MetalGuy71 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:45 am

This was posted on Dee Sniders "House Of Hair" metal news today...
"The new Van Halen album with David Lee Roth is a go! Van Halen News Desk reports that the new album (the band’s first new studio effort with Roth in 28 years) is due out February 7; the album title is still under wraps. The first single and video is called “Tattoo” and is reportedly out this Tuesday (1/10); an accompanying tour is expected to kick off next month in Louisville, KY. The band have invited Kool & The Gang to support them on select dates"

Wow! I can't wait for this album. I really hope the tour brings them to my city.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:48 am

Quote :
The band have invited Kool & The Gang to support them on select dates

WTF?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
SWEET!! Just got a press release from our PR dept. Van Halen is playing at my building on March 5th!! In addition I saw this...

Quote :
In addition, Van Halen confirmed their new album, A Different Kind Of Truth, will be released in the U.S. by Interscope Records on Tuesday, February 7. The first single from the album, "Tattoo", and its accompanying video will be debut simultaneously on Tuesday, January 10, with album pre-orders starting that day. A Different Kind Of Truth is Van Halen's first original studio album with singer David Lee Roth since the band’s classic multi-platinum album 1984.

Catch the show if you can, saw them on the last tour it was a lot of fun and these guys sounded great, the only thing I do not get is the rumor that they have Michael Anthony's backround vocals on tape and were used live, when I saw them that was not the case, because no offense to Wolfie but his backround vocals were not great, maybe because he is still going thru puberty and his voice is changing.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:54 am

Quote :
WTF?

Thats what I thought. I did listen to an interview with Roth and he said they wanted this tour to be "The Ultimate 70s throwback tour"...so maybe that is what this is all about. don\'t know
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 am

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

Catch the show if you can, saw them on the last tour it was a lot of fun and these guys sounded great, the only thing I do not get is the rumor that they have Michael Anthony's backround vocals on tape and were used live, when I saw them that was not the case, because no offense to Wolfie but his backround vocals were not great, maybe because he is still going thru puberty and his voice is changing.

Oh I'll be there without a doubt! I don't get to many shows anymore, so when a decent act comes through our building and I can watch for free, I'm there!! I saw them the last time too.

As for Kool & the Gang? I didn't even know they were still together. I dunno. Are people coming to a "rock" show gonna care to see an R&B/funk act? Might be a lotta empty seats for that. Eh, whatever. I'll drink a few beers and watch the Simpsons in the office.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 11:15 am

Quote :
As for Kool & the Gang? I didn't even know they were still together. I dunno. Are people coming to a "rock" show gonna care to see an R&B/funk act?

I remember back in the late 70s when Van Halen released their first 2 albums that alot of people I knew had van Halen, kool and the gang, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and everything in-between in their "Record" and "8-track collection". Most people listened to it all. We didn't have all the genres we have today. It was rock or it wasn't. Alot of radio stations in the 70s played all those bands I listed plus even played stuff like America and The Bay City Rollers. Alot of the fans going to see van Halen are the fans in their 40s, 50s and 60s who were fans back then. I always thought the Kool and the Gang song "Jungle Boogie" was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 am

Sure, but that was the 70's. Folks were more accepting. And high. Wink

It just reminds me of a few years ago when I saw The Axl Rose Experience (aka GnR) and the opening act was a rave dj. Some dude mixing funky beats and scratching. The rock crowd wasn't too kind to those shenanigans.

Good luck, Kool. You and the Gang will have your work cut out for you.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 11:55 am

I'll definitely check out the album once it's released, I really don't have any expectations either for or against at this point.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 1 of 29Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 15 ... 29  Next