Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
It's out here as well. Picked it up, sounds effin' awesome. Tattoo is definitely the low point, the other songs are killer - all of them!

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 25679
Back to top Go down
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Oh, and the backing vocals are fine. Honestly, I don't hear THAT much of a difference with the older stuff...
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:36 pm

Dave the Boss wrote:
Oh, and the backing vocals are fine. Honestly, I don't hear THAT much of a difference with the older stuff...

Awesome! Can't wait to hear it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:56 pm

12 pages and the album isn't even out yet. Laughing very hard

Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 4:03 pm

This album RULES!!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Getting excited since good reviews have come in. Heard one of the local DJs on the radio saying he's been listening to it since it's leaked onto YouTube and it's great. Staying away until I can pick up a physical copy though.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 6:48 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Getting excited since good reviews have come in. Heard one of the local DJs on the radio saying he's been listening to it since it's leaked onto YouTube and it's great. Staying away until I can pick up a physical copy though.

Same here.

I was totally lukewarm to this idea until I started reading reviews.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:02 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:
Same here.

I'm waiting for the backlash.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Holy crap...listening to "As Is" now and wow...THIS is Van Halen!!! Finally!!!

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 8:53 pm

I think the people hoping for a relatively heavy record are going to be pleasantly surprised.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:
Same here.

I'm waiting for the backlash.

Oh yeah, there's going to be a lot of that too.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:00 am

VAN HALEN 2012: A Different Kind Of Boring! lol!
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 7:52 am

actually it is really heavy boring and weak for me.
there is nothing special on it.
yes album got some typical influences of VH but not catchy arena songs on it.
sound is clear better said pure crystal clear...hmm out of washmachine.
some Ed VH solos are superb.
easily fast forgettable.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 8:20 am

S.D. wrote:
I think the people hoping for a relatively heavy record are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Mos def!

I've given the record some more spins now, and I can honestly say that I like this better than any Van Hagar record, even though I absolutely love F.U.C.K. and 5150. To me, this is like a modern version of Fair Warning in terms of heaviness.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 8:48 am

Van Halen is still a band? they have lost all relevancy IMO a long time ago

Seems all their stuff sounds the same musically which I find very boring
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:48 am

Good DLR interview with Toronto Sun: http://www.torontosun.com/2012/02/02/unchained-the-david-lee-roth-interview

The reunion:

Quote :
“Everybody values their privilege. And it is indeed a privilege and a gift to be able to have this job as opposed to a lot of the jobs the state offers. Everybody has had at least one or two medical near- misses or at least one or two dental tragedies. Sometimes that’s all it takes — you get your teeth knocked out a couple of times and you start to realize you’re mortal. That illumination alone can rebind a band. Besides that, we’re gonna do it for world peace. I could answer all of of these questions with that. Do you want to do the ‘world peace’ interview?”

Kool and the Gang:

Quote :
“We picked KOOL AND THE GANG to open for us because Kool And The Gang and Van Halen are the sounds of an entire continent at recreation. We’ve come to represent that — although you’re more likely to hear Kool And The Gang at a bar mitzvah than me, even though I’m a brother. You go to a Hasidic Jewish bar mitzvah and they’ll play Ladies’ Night by Kool. Me, they’ll let in — ‘But he doesn’t sing; he runs with the devil!’ ”

The new songs:

Quote :
“I retooled all of the verses and melodies. I retooled all of the lyric. So there is a body of new that meets halfway there, that I think makes very colourful sense. The idea that it was in a vault — well, are you talking about a head of lettuce or fine wine, sir?

Perhaps age has dignified it even further by virtue of its authenticity.”
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 am

Dave the Boss wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Mos def!

I've given the record some more spins now, and I can honestly say that I like this better than any Van Hagar record, even though I absolutely love F.U.C.K. and 5150. To me, this is like a modern version of Fair Warning in terms of heaviness.

I have heard it and I would agree. I don;t know why they released the mid-paced rocker as the first single, but that is not the pace of the rest of the album. Yeah, DLR's voice sounds different than 1980, but that happens when you age!!!! The album is really an old school, DLR-era album and I like it.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 10:51 am

Guitar riffs and Solos sounded like a recharged, young blistering-fast Eddie that we used to know but DLR's vocals were rather forgetful, those hooks are quite hard to grasp . Better than I expected overall but in no way a great album me thinks. If anything that lets me keep coming back for more its just the Guitarwork.

6/10
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm not buying any of the lap-dog fan-boy comments here! I listened to all the 90-second samples, and not once did I think it sounded like it could be better than every Van Hagar CD. This isn't a prog album, so 90 seconds should give any listener a good idea of what's coming. I think nostalgia is playing tricks on some of you. Haha.

I'll give it this: it sounded better than Van Cherone.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm not a lap-dog fanboy, in fact the last Van Halen album I enjoyed thoroughly was 1984. (I used to own 5150 but I haven't listened to it since the 80's). To me Van Halen ceased to exist when Dave left.

I was also fully prepared to loathe this new album...but I can't. I could sit here and list numerous flaws with the album but in the grand scheme of things it still doesn't matter.

This album should be cynic proof, it's a kick ass party ROCK N ROLL record.

Van Halen has reminded me that ROCK N ROLL doesn't have to be significant, it just has to be FUN. The album delivers in spades.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 2:06 pm

S.D. wrote:
I'm not a lap-dog fanboy, in fact the last Van Halen album I enjoyed thoroughly was 1984. (I used to own 5150 but I haven't listened to it since the 80's). To me Van Halen ceased to exist when Dave left.

I was also fully prepared to loathe this new album...but I can't. I could sit here and list numerous flaws with the album but in the grand scheme of things it still doesn't matter.

Van Halen has reminded me that ROCK N ROLL doesn't have to be significant, it just has to be FUN. The album delivers in spades.
Oh, it might be a very good album. It didn't sound bad to me. I've just never been able to get on board with the Van Hagar criticisms. They put out some fantastic albums together. From what I heard of the new album, I just don't hear it being better than all of them, you know.

But I'll make final judgment when I buy it next week. Comes out Tuesday, right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 2:12 pm

Yes, Tuesday. I completely didn't expect to say this, but I will be at Amoeba first thing on Tuesday to buy myself a copy!

btw: I don't discredit the Hagar albums, I just personally can't get into them.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Oh, it might be a very good album. It didn't sound bad to me. I've just never been able to get on board with the Van Hagar criticisms. They put out some fantastic albums together. From what I heard of the new album, I just don't hear it being better than all of them, you know.

But I'll make final judgment when I buy it next week. Comes out Tuesday, right?

It's worth picking up - my copy will be delivered from amazon on Tuesday. SD is right - it's just fun rock n roll.

BTW - I am a fan of the Van Hager era - they only Van Hager I don't listen to much is OU812 - the rest are great with F.U.C.K. being my fav.

Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'm not buying any of the lap-dog fan-boy comments here!

My first real exposure to the band was just a few months ago. So when I say I think it's a great album (maybe even their best), I really mean it. I'm not a "lap-dog fan-boy" blinded by nostalgia.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 4:14 pm

MEGATRON wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I'm not buying any of the lap-dog fan-boy comments here!

My first real exposure to the band was just a few months ago. So when I say I think it's a great album (maybe even their best), I really mean it. I'm not a "lap-dog fan-boy" blinded by nostalgia.

Yeah, but in the same respect, you also haven't had decades to digest the band's earlier work. There are people on here, who started listening to the band when they first broke out on the scene, or someone like myself who remembers hearing them around '82 for the first time. Nostalgia doesn't even have to enter the picture, as Van Halen was never a band that I considered to be "My band". They rarely were a band where I made connections between their songs and powerful moments in my life. For others, I'm sure nostalgia might come big time into play.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm probably going to place more credence on someone's opinion of this record who has listened to the band for decades over that of someone who has only digested a band's work for the better part of a few months. That doesn't mean you're wrong about the quality of the album....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 12 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 12 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 20 ... 29  Next