Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:22 pm

What Toho said...

They created a lot of buzz with this album, after touring in support of it, I hope they strike again while the iron is hot. I could live with that, a quick one two punch of great VH albums while there all jacked up and inspired, then they can sit back for a while again. It would really be annoying if they took a 4-5 years to do another one. At this age, that kinda time could really take away from there ability to convincingly play rock at this energy level.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:46 pm

DevZor wrote:
For some reason I can't figure out, I really didn't want to like this release. I was pretty sure this was going to be a disaster, but despite myself I really enjoy it. I will agree, however, it is sorely missing even one really good catchy chorus. One that I find myself singing in my head for hours afterward. But it there is just so much fun crunchy rock'n'roll and air guitar moments that I can't help but go back for more.
I'm thinking alone the same lines.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 pm

wmcollis wrote:
DevZor wrote:
For some reason I can't figure out, I really didn't want to like this release. I was pretty sure this was going to be a disaster, but despite myself I really enjoy it. I will agree, however, it is sorely missing even one really good catchy chorus. One that I find myself singing in my head for hours afterward. But it there is just so much fun crunchy rock'n'roll and air guitar moments that I can't help but go back for more.
I'm thinking alone the same lines.

I wouldn't argue with that assessment. There are definitely LOTS of air guitar moments on the album. I just wish there was more of a melodic hook to most of the songs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 10:15 am

I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Every song. If I were to say anything negative about it, I'd have to say that Dave is the weak link here, but even that is forgivable. It's not 1978 anymore and he sounds good enough for being however old he is (late 50's?). So far this is my top album of the 2012 music buying season. Not that there's been much competition yet.

I did see something interesting though. The Philly show is coming up in almost 2 weeks and there are still plenty of seats available. Pricey tickets, lack of interest or a combination of the 2?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 10:53 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm enjoying it thoroughly. Every song. If I were to say anything negative about it, I'd have to say that Dave is the weak link here, but even that is forgivable. It's not 1978 anymore and he sounds good enough for being however old he is (late 50's?). So far this is my top album of the 2012 music buying season. Not that there's been much competition yet.

I did see something interesting though. The Philly show is coming up in almost 2 weeks and there are still plenty of seats available. Pricey tickets, lack of interest or a combination of the 2?

Not lack of interest but the ticket prices over here in Tampa are a factor, the show is almost sold out but alot of peps who really want to go are not doing it because of the ticket prices
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:03 am

The ticket prices are outrageous...in this day and age, there's not a single band worth more than $100 for a single ticket...the most I've ever paid for a single band was $90 (w/ service fees)...and I'm not even doing that again.

I'll pay upwards of $100 if it's a festival or something...but when I saw that 3 VH tickets were going to run me over $500 and the seats were just "OK", I decided that VH can kiss my ass.

Cool

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:04 am

I don't doubt that it will sell-out as it gets closer to the date, but I'm just surprised that it wasn't an instant sell-out that I'm sure others thought it would be.

For example, The Black Keys are playing the same venue 5 days later. Now I'm not familair at all with them other than name recognition. They sold-out a 20,000 seat arena almost immediatley after tickets went on sale. I had no idea that they were that popular and their top ticket price was only $55.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:07 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I don't doubt that it will sell-out as it gets closer to the date, but I'm just surprised that it wasn't an instant sell-out that I'm sure others thought it would be.

For example, The Black Keys are playing the same venue 5 days later. Now I'm not familair at all with them other than name recognition. They sold-out a 20,000 seat arena almost immediatley after tickets went on sale. I had no idea that they were that popular and their top ticket price was only $55.

There you go, top ticket price $55, when AC/DC came to town for their Black Ice tour, it was the only time I did not go see them since the Flick of the Switch tour, because the tickets were $100, and I just could not do it, for Van Halen, a friend bought me a ticket or I would not be seeing that show either.

Last edited by manny on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:08 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

If it was the first run of the Roth reunion, it probably would be sold out by now...but this is the 3rd run w/ Roth back...it's lost a little steam.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:45 am

Ticket prices are indicative of an industry where bands don't make much money selling albums so they try to recoup that loss through inflated ticket prices. It's a vicious cycle.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:47 am

S.D. wrote:
Ticket prices are indicative of an industry where bands don't make much money selling albums so they try to recoup that loss through inflated ticket prices. It's a vicious cycle.

That is true but I am sure lower prices would mean almost a guaranteed sold out show and the sale of over priced T Shirts would help ease the pain for the Van Halen boys
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:50 am

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

That is true but I am sure lower prices would mean almost a guaranteed sold out show and the sale of over priced T Shirts would help ease the pain for the Van Halen boys

I agree completely, I'm not condoning those ticket prices, I just know that's the mindset in the industry right now.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 11:59 am

S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I agree completely, I'm not condoning those ticket prices, I just know that's the mindset in the industry right now.

The industry also plays on the nostalgia factor too with a band like VH. They figure the baby boomer generation (and whatever category us 40 yeard olds fall into) will put out the extra cash for a night out and quite possibly the last chance to see some of the old guard before they keel over. Meanwhile, the Foo Fighters, who are in their prime right now, and Katy Perry, who is winding down the last 15 minutes of her fame, only charged $60 or less for the same arena.

Madonna's coming in August and her tickets range from $48 all the way to $358. Besides some soccer moms and old queens, who's paying that much for her?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 12:02 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

The industry also plays on the nostalgia factor too with a band like VH. They figure the baby boomer generation (and whatever category us 40 yeard olds fall into) will put out the extra cash for a night out and quite possibly the last chance to see some of the old guard before they keel over. Meanwhile, the Foo Fighters, who are in their prime right now, and Katy Perry, who is winding down the last 15 minutes of her fame, only charged $60 or less for the same arena.

Madonna's coming in August and her tickets range from $48 all the way to $358. Besides some soccer moms and old queens, who's paying that much for her?

Lunatics
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 pm

manny wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Lunatics

LMAO!!!! I know people that are paying for those crazy priced tickets.... just insane!!!!!!!

BTW - I checked and the only tickets left for the DC show are the limited view tickets up the side of the stage and there's less than 200 of those! I guess it depends on the area of the country. The DC Metro area hasn't been as affected by the recession that we are still in as other areas and I am willing to bet that plays a big part in ticket sales right now. I am sure there are a smurf poo load of people who would love to go but are out of work, so no money, no concert tickets.

I am willing to bet that the areas of the country with the highest median household income are already sold out or close to it. I saw on Braveworlds that the the show up by Pedophile State University has been cancelled. I am sure the economy has a ton to do with that!

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:08 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

If it was the first run of the Roth reunion, it probably would be sold out by now...but this is the 3rd run w/ Roth back...it's lost a little steam.
Not to mention the lack big comeback single wasn't that great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:09 pm

I don't think Van Halen needs a "single" at this point in their career.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:10 pm

S.D. wrote:

I was thinking the same thing...with or without a new album at this point makes no impact on their ticket sales.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I was thinking the same thing...with or without a new album at this point makes no impact on their ticket sales.
You really don't think if they'd put out a killer single that it would affect sales? There was zero excitement over that single.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:
You really don't think if they'd put out a killer single that it would affect sales? There was zero excitement over that single.

What radio stations are even playing "Tattoo"? Who's showing the video outside of YouTube?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

What radio stations are even playing "Tattoo"? Who's showing the video outside of YouTube?

Only station I know that is playing this and few other Van Halen tunes from new album is Planet Rock, but a) that is a UK based station b) Its an online radio station only
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Nope. Not a bit. Folks going to see the reunion are going to hear the hits of yesteryear. Even if it was a killer single, most folks woulda said, "Meh, it's ok, but I want to hear Diamond Dave sing 'Dance the Night Away' and watch Eddie tear it up on 'Eruption' ".

I will say this, at least Van Halen had the decency to release a full album of material to tour behind. They could have just as easily thrown together another comp album and tacked on one or 2 new songs. Like, uh, well, like they did the last time they toured. Laughing

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 pm

Radio still exists? Classic Rock radio stations wouldn't play a new song by a band anyway.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
Radio still exists? Classic Rock radio stations wouldn't play a new song by a band anyway.

Clear Channel and similar like companies have taken the joy and the excitement away from radio, from their unimaginative playlist. Another reason the music industry is dying
Back to top Go down
arttieTHE1manparty
Administrator
arttieTHE1manparty

Number of posts : 863

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Here's my review of the new album: http://glitter2gutter.blogspot.com/2012/02/van-halen-different-kind-of-truth.html

As to who is playing "Tattoo", that is a good question. I know small, independent stations are soaking it up big time, but I also live in the middle of America where heartland rock, classic rock, and even hair metal, really never completely died and is still considered staple material on the radio.

Arttie
Back to top Go down
http://christianmetalrealm.niceboard.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 23 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 23 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29  Next