Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 pm

It sucks that Van Halen wasted so many years screwing around and wasting time. Now they're old and rusty... Those two newer songs they did with DLR on their first "best of" back in the 90's were very promising. That was the time to make things work... But I still want to see them in concert. It might be our last chance considering their age and rocky relationship with DLR.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah, I'll probably break down and go to this show...that way I'll have seen VH with all 3 singers.

Very Happy

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:22 pm

Troublezone wrote:
It sucks that Van Halen wasted so many years screwing around and wasting time. Now they're old and cranky... Those two newer songs they did with DLR on their first "best of" back in the 90's were very promising. That was the time to make things work... But I still want to see them in concert. It might be our last chance considering their age and rocky relationship with DLR.

This in a way goes back to Shawn's point, these guys at the time were offered obscene amounts of money to do a tour back then, of course these ( at the time) these 40 year old teenagers instead of doing the tour and taking the money and run, spend their time fighting, they fought and the tour never even got off the ground!! If money was in the forefront of Eddie Van Halen's mind, they would have done the tour back then.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:23 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Michael Anthony's vocals WERE the VH vocal harmony sound, there is no way to replicate it without having him involved.

I still can't believe they left him out of this, I guess Eddie really wants to keep a tight grip on those potential royalty checks.

I don't think EVH has thought about money in 25 years.

I'm not so sure about that one. If you read the Sammy Hagar book, Eddie was pretty miffed when the Cabo Wabo thing took off. Eddie and Alex were involved in that thing early on, when it went through some early struggles. Their problem was, they didn't see it to fruition. Not long after they got out of that venture, good things started to happen, and it made Sammy oodles of money. Eddie and Alex were pretty envious of the Cabo Wabo franchise and the millions that Sammy reaped from that business.

Well, nobody wants to lose money...I just don't think he thinks in terms if needing money. Plus, the Cabo Wabo thing was, what, 20 years ago?

Are you kidding me? Sammy was the guru when it came to making money for that band! Sammy helped Eddie and Alex make a ton of money in just publishing rights alone. Before Sammy came into the band, those two were getting royally f*cked at every turn. Due to Sammy and Ed Leffler, the brothers had a lot more money in their pockets. The brothers just weren't very savvy when it came to making money prior to that. There's no doubt that the cantina and the franchise suffered from horrible management, but once that changed, it was a goldmine. Sammy might be the smartest rock 'n roller when it comes to making money. He might not have been the better front man in the band, but he surrounded the band with much smarter people.

You're not hearing me. I said "I don't think EVH has thought about money in 25 years." That's it. I never said he was a good/bad business man or anything else. I don't think he thought about it because someone else always thought about it for him. From all I have ever read or seen about EVH out of his own mouth or from other people, EVH is in his own world 99.9% of the time. If he didn't want Mike Anthony around, I doubt it was about wanting more money.

See, I think EVH does think about money more than one thinks. He's ungrateful when he gets more money into his pockets, due to others, but is the first one to raise hell when things aren't always golden. Regarding Anthony, that has nothing to do with money, it simply has to do with being a control freak. He controls his brother Alex (who always defers to Eddie), he stomped all over Michael Anthony for years, and once Dave re-entered the band in 1996 (albeit very briefly), Eddie had him by the balls as well. The only one who told him to go f*ck himself was Sammy, and that was after taking a few for the team, just to keep the Van Halen thing from imploding.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
It sucks that Van Halen wasted so many years screwing around and wasting time. Now they're old and cranky... Those two newer songs they did with DLR on their first "best of" back in the 90's were very promising. That was the time to make things work... But I still want to see them in concert. It might be our last chance considering their age and rocky relationship with DLR.

This in a way goes back to Shawn's point, these guys at the time were offered obscene amounts of money to do a tour back then, of course these ( at the time) these 40 year old teenagers instead of doing the tour and taking the money and run, spend their time fighting, they fought and the tour never even got off the ground!! If money was in the forefront of Eddie Van Halen's mind, they would have done the tour back then.

I know money isn't Eddie's priorty in life... But I'm sure he missed playing for the fans and being his old creative self making good music.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:34 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Michael Anthony's vocals WERE the VH vocal harmony sound, there is no way to replicate it without having him involved.

I still can't believe they left him out of this, I guess Eddie really wants to keep a tight grip on those potential royalty checks.

I don't think EVH has thought about money in 25 years.

I'm not so sure about that one. If you read the Sammy Hagar book, Eddie was pretty miffed when the Cabo Wabo thing took off. Eddie and Alex were involved in that thing early on, when it went through some early struggles. Their problem was, they didn't see it to fruition. Not long after they got out of that venture, good things started to happen, and it made Sammy oodles of money. Eddie and Alex were pretty envious of the Cabo Wabo franchise and the millions that Sammy reaped from that business.

Well, nobody wants to lose money...I just don't think he thinks in terms if needing money. Plus, the Cabo Wabo thing was, what, 20 years ago?

Are you kidding me? Sammy was the guru when it came to making money for that band! Sammy helped Eddie and Alex make a ton of money in just publishing rights alone. Before Sammy came into the band, those two were getting royally f*cked at every turn. Due to Sammy and Ed Leffler, the brothers had a lot more money in their pockets. The brothers just weren't very savvy when it came to making money prior to that. There's no doubt that the cantina and the franchise suffered from horrible management, but once that changed, it was a goldmine. Sammy might be the smartest rock 'n roller when it comes to making money. He might not have been the better front man in the band, but he surrounded the band with much smarter people.

You're not hearing me. I said "I don't think EVH has thought about money in 25 years." That's it. I never said he was a good/bad business man or anything else. I don't think he thought about it because someone else always thought about it for him. From all I have ever read or seen about EVH out of his own mouth or from other people, EVH is in his own world 99.9% of the time. If he didn't want Mike Anthony around, I doubt it was about wanting more money.

See, I think EVH does think about money more than one thinks. He's ungrateful when he gets more money into his pockets, due to others, but is the first one to raise hell when things aren't always golden. Regarding Anthony, that has nothing to do with money, it simply has to do with being a control freak. He controls his brother Alex (who always defers to Eddie), he stomped all over Michael Anthony for years, and once Dave re-entered the band in 1996 (albeit very briefly), Eddie had him by the balls as well. The only one who told him to go f*ck himself was Sammy, and that was after taking a few for the team, just to keep the Van Halen thing from imploding.

I think you're giving him too much credit. lol!

To even be ungrateful you'd have to care. I think that the only way that EVH would ever think about money was if it suddenly wasn't there anymore. He wakes up knowing someone else is taking care of his money and as long as he is not prevented from doing something he wants to do because of some financial issue, he never thinks about it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:37 pm

I think Eddie may suddenly care about his money, now that he has a new wife. Smile
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 2:20 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
OK, now I've heard the "Stay Frosty" clip...terrible.
I have not heard it yet, but man I don't want to hear some songs on this album sucks!!! Van Halen ( the DLR era anyway) meant alot to me as a kid, and at least to me, those dudes could do no wrong, if the song is not that good, maybe its just one turd in the punchbowl.
Maybe...but it's just a rambling, awkward sounding "Ice Cream Man" wanna be...IMO.
It's Dave trying to say too much without enough space to do so. It did, however, seem to get better right before the fade-out.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 2:32 pm

I've had the impression that Eddie still holds a grudge against Michael Anthony when he split to play with Sammy, both solo and with Chickenfoot. Maybe there were other issues as well, but that was the final straw so to speak.

Can't say I blame Michael though. Why sit around doing nothing like the VH brothers when you could be out playing and making some coin with Sammy. But in Eddie's world, Michael had to choose and he sided with the wrong team.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 2:36 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I've had the impression that Eddie still holds a grudge against Michael Anthony when he split to play with Sammy, both solo and with Chickenfoot. Maybe there were other issues as well, but that was the final straw so to speak.

Can't say I blame Michael though. Why sit around doing nothing like the VH brothers when you could be out playing and making some coin with Sammy. But in Eddie's world, Michael had to choose and he sided with the wrong team.

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 285.halen.eddie.030807

"He joined another band! You can't be in two bands..."
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 2:40 pm

Ha! Is that an actual quote from Eddie?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yes. He deflected the whole Michael Anthony thing back on Mike...by saying "What do you want me to do? He joined another band! You can't be in two bands!"
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 3:10 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Yes. He deflected the whole Michael Anthony thing back on Mike...by saying "What do you want me to do? He joined another band! You can't be in two bands!"

There was a rumor that Eddie had been wanting to dump Mike since the last VH tour with Sammy. Maybe even earlier...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 3:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

There was a rumor that Eddie had been wanting to dump Mike since the last VH tour with Sammy. Maybe even earlier...

Off and on since 1982, recommend this book on Van Halen very interesting book.

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Everybody-wants-some-van-halen-saga-ian-christe-hardcover-cover-art
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 3:49 pm

manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Everybody-wants-some-van-halen-saga-ian-christe-hardcover-cover-art

Was there a reason given in the book? Did Mike just rub Ed the wrong way?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

That is the weird thing in the book, it gives you no insight why Michael Anthony and Eddie Van Halen's relationship deteriorated, even the ex Van Halen employees and hanger on's interviewed in the book do not get it, since they all state Anthony is a nice guy
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 4:09 pm

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

That is the weird thing in the book, it gives you no insight why Michael Anthony and Eddie Van Halen's relationship deteriorated, even the ex Van Halen employees and hanger on's interviewed in the book do not get it, since they all state Anthony is a nice guy

Maybe Eddie is just a tempermental jerk... (especially in his drunken days)
I also think he never was really that impressed with Mike's bass playing.

Last edited by Troublezone on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 4:10 pm

I think the reason for dumping Mike is obvious.

He doesn't want one more person to have to deal with and wants to keep VH close to his chest (in the family).

It's not like Mike was some sort of irreplaceable virtuoso or something (and yes I agree that his backing vocals are missed).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 4:13 pm

I remember during the whole period after they fired Sammy, re-hired Dave for the Greatest Hits, then fired him again, the Van Halen brothers came off very poorly in interviews. No matter who you sided with, Sam or Dave, the VH boys sounded pretty dickish to me.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 4:24 pm

I guess the bottom line is, the VH bros are major control freaks. Anyone without the VH last name is expendable. That being said, I still love their old albums and consider myself a big fan.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I guess the bottom line is, the VH bros are major control freaks. Anyone without the VH last name is expendable. That being said, I still love their old albums and consider myself a big fan.

Me too. As much trash as I might talk about them or the new album, I'll still be right there next week, plopping down my sheckles for the new album and let them entertain me live next month.

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 499945

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 7:18 pm

I think the main thing that went wrong within this group was addiction and ego, a disastrous combination. But I'd say addiction played the biggest role in all this.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 pm

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 285.halen.eddie.030807

[/quote]

Is that the new promo poster for The Walking Dead?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
OK, now I've heard the "Stay Frosty" clip...terrible.

I have not heard it yet, but man I don't want to hear some songs on this album sucks!!! Van Halen ( the DLR era anyway) meant alot to me as a kid, and at least to me, those dudes could do no wrong, if the song is not that good, maybe its just one turd in the punchbowl.

Maybe...but it's just a rambling, awkward sounding "Ice Cream Man" wanna be...IMO.
That's funny. Ice Cream Man, Stay Frosty...only from Dave. The guy cracks me up. Haven't heard the song yet, gonna wait.

I really hope this album is good. They have a lot riding on this. They've hung the tease out there for so long of new material that the expectations are really high. Those 2 songs on the greatest hits got me so worked up and when they called foul... I just about blew a gasket. How freakin lame for the VH boys to dangle a reunion and walk away from it. The world saw that MTV commercial and they just played the spoiled brat and stomped off to their room. The whole thing with Mike is stupid, so stupid that even TMZ blushes. I love VH, but I lost respect a while ago. There is no reason for this BS. Doesn't the band understand that their fans from 78 are as old as them and have their own problems and could care less whether Eddie and Dave share a limo. A little angry, considering we've heard more about VH from the gossip pages in the last decade than any music rag. None the less, I'll have the album the day it's released listening over and over again.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think the main thing that went wrong within this group was addiction and ego, a disastrous combination. But I'd say addiction played the biggest role in all this.
Too much too fast for too long. Can you imagine being a millionaire in your early twenties with everyone around you worshipping you. Eddie specifically had a ton of attention on him from everyone in the "guitar" world. A lot to handle. He did "beat it" and all of a sudden, the world knew him as the guy who played the guitar solo, whether they knew what that meant or not. Eddie has been on a pedestal for most of his life, and Dave has been in attendance at a constant party. Alex and Mike were the other two. The end of Van Halen was Eddie playing that guitar solo on "Beat It", that sparked the fuse that blew up the band. So yeah, the rock star life over took them and they fell to the hubris one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 10 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 19 ... 29  Next