Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Saw this on YouTube, thought it was pretty bad-ass.

Never knew they played solo Hagar tunes when he was in Halen.

And seriously, that's easily one of the best rock riffs ever recorded.
I agree. They really did a number on this song. The version on Live without a net is great.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 pm

I think, honestly, that what we're hearing is Van Halen getting old. Both DLR and EVH are 57 years old this year. You've got two old Rock guys on the other side of 50, who both managed to survive their wild "rock star" days and come out wiser. DLR isn't so much "the party" or "master of ceremonies" anymore as he is the old guy at the bar who's travelled the world and wants to buy you a beer and tell you what he's learned. Just watch that video of him explaining the lyrics to "Tattoo"...that's not "Diamond Dave". That's not the same guy who sang "D.O.A" and "Dirty Movies".

VH has changed...their ferocity and recklessness has been replaced with sore knees and nothing to prove.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 10:01 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I think, honestly, that what we're hearing is Van Halen getting old. Both DLR and EVH are 57 years old this year. You've got two old Rock guys on the other side of 50, who both managed to survive their wild "rock star" days and come out wiser. DLR isn't so much "the party" or "master of ceremonies" anymore as he is the old guy at the bar who's travelled the world and wants to buy you a beer and tell you what he's learned. Just watch that video of him explaining the lyrics to "Tattoo"...that's not "Diamond Dave". That's not the same guy who sang "D.O.A" and "Dirty Movies".

VH has changed...their ferocity and recklessness has been replaced with sore knees and nothing to prove.
headbanger
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 8:35 am

OK, now I've heard the "Stay Frosty" clip...terrible.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:19 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I have not heard it yet, but man I don't want to hear some songs on this album sucks!!! Van Halen ( the DLR era anyway) meant alot to me as a kid, and at least to me, those dudes could do no wrong, if the song is not that good, maybe its just one turd in the punchbowl.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:27 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I have not heard it yet, but man I don't want to hear some songs on this album sucks!!! Van Halen ( the DLR era anyway) meant alot to me as a kid, and at least to me, those dudes could do no wrong, if the song is not that good, maybe its just one turd in the punchbowl.

Maybe...but it's just a rambling, awkward sounding "Ice Cream Man" wanna be...IMO.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Maybe...but it's just a rambling, awkward sounding "Ice Cream Man" wanna be...IMO.

You nailed it, as I was just about to say it sounded like Ice Cream Man II, but much worse! I was going to start railing on this tune as well, but since it's not a full version I will hold back my feelings on this particular tune. Initial impressions of this new album are just meh at best. I hope the other tracks do something for me to ignite some interest on my part.

Last edited by metalinmyveins on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:39 am

The tracks they have released already seem to have a Van Halen II vibe to me
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 am

This is why the internet ruins things for an old fart like me.

You get "snippets" and "pieces" of things and hear things that assess the content and then find out it's not finished product.

I dug the preview "single" a few weeks or so prior to the album release and you had to actually go and buy the album or go to a friends and LISTEN to it with virgin ears.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:31 am

James B. wrote:

You get "snippets" and "pieces" of things and hear things that assess the content and then find out it's not finished product.

I dug the preview "single" a few weeks or so prior to the album release and you had to actually go and buy the album or go to a friends and LISTEN to it with virgin ears.

I have to agree with you, other then the first single, very rarely do I listen to an album prior to it being released, also when I listen to music, I usually play the album from start to finish, there maybe times were I may just listen to random tunes from various artist but usually I will play the album from beginning to end, I like listening to the songs in the context of an album.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:35 am

manny wrote:

I have to agree with you, other then the first single, very rarely do I listen to an album prior to it being released, also when I listen to music, I usually play the album from start to finish, there maybe times were I may just listen to random tunes from various artist but usually I will play the album from beginning to end, I like listening to the songs in the context of an album.

That is why I dig on my vinyl. cds make it too easy to be picky. Just kick back and enjoy

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Maybe it's the missing vocals of Michael Anthony, but from all the samples I'm hearing, it sounds to me like a DLR solo album moreso than Van Halen.

I'm hearing Dave's rambling vocals, but missing Eddie's playing. Nothing I've heard so far has had a killer riff or tone or shred or whatever it is that makes Eddie sound like Eddie.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 pm

Michael Anthony's vocals WERE the VH vocal harmony sound, there is no way to replicate it without having him involved.

I still can't believe they left him out of this, I guess Eddie really wants to keep a tight grip on those potential royalty checks.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

S.D. wrote:
Michael Anthony's vocals WERE the VH vocal harmony sound, there is no way to replicate it without having him involved.

I still can't believe they left him out of this, I guess Eddie really wants to keep a tight grip on those potential royalty checks.

I don't think EVH has thought about money in 25 years.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I'm not so sure about that one. If you read the Sammy Hagar book, Eddie was pretty miffed when the Cabo Wabo thing took off. Eddie and Alex were involved in that thing early on, when it went through some early struggles. Their problem was, they didn't see it to fruition. Not long after they got out of that venture, good things started to happen, and it made Sammy oodles of money. Eddie and Alex were pretty envious of the Cabo Wabo franchise and the millions that Sammy reaped from that business.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 pm

manny wrote:
James B. wrote:

Plus the lead single isn't always a track that makes metalheads like us want to rush out and buy an album, i.e. Pretty Woman and Jump.

I also agree with Shawn. Eddie and Dave are older, hopefully wiser, and probably aren't even capable of writing a song like "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" anymore. It's not who they are now. But that's ok. In some ways, I've grown up too, so I'm still looking forward to hearing this. I like the new song and loved the Youtube clip of Dave discussing the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:37 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

I'm not so sure about that one. If you read the Sammy Hagar book, Eddie was pretty miffed when the Cabo Wabo thing took off. Eddie and Alex were involved in that thing early on, when it went through some early struggles. Their problem was, they didn't see it to fruition. Not long after they got out of that venture, good things started to happen, and it made Sammy oodles of money. Eddie and Alex were pretty envious of the Cabo Wabo franchise and the millions that Sammy reaped from that business.

Well, nobody wants to lose money...I just don't think he thinks in terms if needing money. Plus, the Cabo Wabo thing was, what, 20 years ago?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:41 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

He tell you that personally? Whatever, I'll keep my conspiracy theories to myself.

As for this album being good, bad or embarrassing it really doesn't matter to me. My days of being a Van Halen fan ended sometime around 1988, I was hoping this new record might re-ignite my interest but so far that has not happened. More power to Van Halen, I hope the tour is successful and people enjoy it. I'll be spending my money elsewhere.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:47 pm

The back catalog has sold well, the last tour did well. Being envious of anothers success and "NEEDING" royalty checks is another. Royalties from recorded music are done twofold, performance and songwriting. One isn't taken from out of the other. So if Mr Anthony was on this cd. He'd get a performance royalty if he wasn't part of the songwriting on a particular song. If he did write or help write a tune, I'd imagine both are paid. Not sure ?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

He tell you that personally? Whatever, I'll keep my conspiracy theories to myself.

Of course not, smart ass. lol!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 pm

He told me that he gave this guy named Shawn from West Virgina all his cash to buy jazz records.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:50 pm

According to Hagar's book those Van Halen boys not only never thought about money, but they burned thru like there is no tomorrow.

One time Hagar's manager was talking to Hagar about his publishing deal, and Eddie Van Halen in a drunken stupor mentioned, he would like to have his own publishing deal, Hagar had to gently explain to Edward, he already had one in place!!!!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:51 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Well, nobody wants to lose money...I just don't think he thinks in terms if needing money. Plus, the Cabo Wabo thing was, what, 20 years ago?

Are you kidding me? Sammy was the guru when it came to making money for that band! Sammy helped Eddie and Alex make a ton of money in just publishing rights alone. Before Sammy came into the band, those two were getting royally f*cked at every turn. Due to Sammy and Ed Leffler, the brothers had a lot more money in their pockets. The brothers just weren't very savvy when it came to making money prior to that. There's no doubt that the cantina and the franchise suffered from horrible management, but once that changed, it was a goldmine. Sammy might be the smartest rock 'n roller when it comes to making money. He might not have been the better front man in the band, but he surrounded the band with much smarter people.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 12:59 pm

James B. wrote:
The back catalog has sold well, the last tour did well. Being envious of anothers success and "NEEDING" royalty checks is another. Royalties from recorded music are done twofold, performance and songwriting. One isn't taken from out of the other. So if Mr Anthony was on this cd. He'd get a performance royalty if he wasn't part of the songwriting on a particular song. If he did write or help write a tune, I'd imagine both are paid. Not sure ?

Michael Anthony in order to take part on the last tour, signed away part of his royalties to the Van Halen boys, and gave up all rights to his piece of pie in terms of merchandising, something neither DLR or Hagar ever agreed to. Anthony stated he did this because he felt the reunion tour with Hagar would be the final one.

Off and on for years, they have talked about getting rid of Michael Anthony, and both vocalist have stood up for him during their original tenure in the band.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Are you kidding me? Sammy was the guru when it came to making money for that band! Sammy helped Eddie and Alex make a ton of money in just publishing rights alone. Before Sammy came into the band, those two were getting royally f*cked at every turn. Due to Sammy and Ed Leffler, the brothers had a lot more money in their pockets. The brothers just weren't very savvy when it came to making money prior to that. There's no doubt that the cantina and the franchise suffered from horrible management, but once that changed, it was a goldmine. Sammy might be the smartest rock 'n roller when it comes to making money. He might not have been the better front man in the band, but he surrounded the band with much smarter people.

You're not hearing me. I said "I don't think EVH has thought about money in 25 years." That's it. I never said he was a good/bad business man or anything else. I don't think he thought about it because someone else always thought about it for him. From all I have ever read or seen about EVH out of his own mouth or from other people, EVH is in his own world 99.9% of the time. If he didn't want Mike Anthony around, I doubt it was about wanting more money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 9 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19 ... 29  Next