Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Ok, just got my copy. I pre-ordered and hoped they'd ship it in time to arrive on the release date, oh well. I didn't listen to any of the samples cause I wanted to hear the album complete. I did however read this entire thread. First impression is I like it, a lot. The base is way more forward than previous albums and the drums are further back. The songs are good and yes it is classic VH only 30 years later. So far first run I like them all. Stay Frosty is really freakin cool. Did you hear Eddie tearing it up a' la Spanish Fly meets Ice Cream Man. Eddie's tone is a cross between II and 3. I was hoping his rythem work would come straight out of 78, but that's a bit much to hope for given he now has a corp. custom rig and years of late nights ringing in his head. The VH swagger is all over the place, that fella can tear it up.....Welcome to China Town. Dave is right on time with his usual vocal performance. I'm happy and think it is a killer album. I'll reserve further comments until I've had time to digest this truth.
Back to top Go down
JaguarBlaze
Metal novice
Metal novice
JaguarBlaze

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:27 pm

So at the risk of sounding totally green...all these years of being into rock and metal, I've never really gotten into Van Halen. I love Kiss, Ratt, etc.....so I'm sure I would dig VH, but have just never really checked them out beyond the hits. Where should I start?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 pm

JaguarBlaze wrote:
So at the risk of sounding totally green...all these years of being into rock and metal, I've never really gotten into Van Halen. I love Kiss, Ratt, etc.....so I'm sure I would dig VH, but have just never really checked them out beyond the hits. Where should I start?

My advice would be to start with the S/T.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:
JaguarBlaze wrote:

My advice would be to start with the S/T.

yeppers

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:40 pm

JaguarBlaze wrote:

At the beginning and keep going chronologically. Skip 'Balance' and 'III'. Smile
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:24 pm

JaguarBlaze wrote:
Dude, I bought my first AC/DC album two years ago. I bought my first Motorhead album last year. I've never owned or heard a Thin Lizzy album.

Eh. It happens. Have no shame! Haha.
Back to top Go down
MEGATRON
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
MEGATRON

Number of posts : 364

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:42 pm

JaguarBlaze wrote:

- Van Halen
- Van Halen II
- Women and Children First
- Fair Warning (If you were to get one album this should be it)
- Diver Down
- For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
- A Different Kind of Truth

All of those albums are excellent. Skip the rest.

Last edited by MEGATRON on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Eyesore wrote:
JaguarBlaze wrote:
Dude, I bought my first AC/DC album two years ago. I bought my first Motorhead album last year. I've never owned or heard a Thin Lizzy album.

Eh. It happens. Have no shame! Haha.

...just kidding, as I just got into Motorhead, Thin Lizzy and UFO in the last 2 years.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Better than anything on the new VH.

No way! Btw, this is not a personal attack on you Eyesore, but to me this song is average at best and completely forgettable. I thought the chorus was the pre-chorus. The song was about to explode into something exciting and memorable, but then it just kind of fizzled out right back into that semi boring riff. If this is as good as Chickenfoot III gets, then it's really not worth exploring further.

Van Halen SMASH Chickenfoot! I mean really. Van Halen with DLR sound so loose. They've delivered an energizing set of songs with flash and balls, and make it sound effortless.

In the end I'm sure we'll all have to agree to disagree. Before it was Van Halen vs Van Hagar. Now, I guess, it will be new Van Halen vs Chickenfoot. But it's really no contast imo. Van Halen smote dat Chickenfoot ass!
Back to top Go down
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 1:33 pm

Havent read the whole thread, but someone's got an update just how much of the album is reworked old previously unused material?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:04 pm

stpatrik wrote:
Havent read the whole thread, but someone's got an update just how much of the album is reworked old previously unused material?

Looks like about 2/3 of it....at least...maybe more. But, as has been stated many times in this thread, all VH albums are written this way.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Regarding Chickenfoot.....they fail to live up to expectations and it's memebers should go back and do what they do better. 1)write good instrumental albums 2)play drums in the Peppers 3)not do much of anything besides whatever the other members in whatever band I am in tell me to do. and 4)badmouth the last band I fronted and try to drum up publicity for my current one by offering an opinion that nobody agrees with.

All you kiddiez listen to your elders Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 12087

Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:27 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
stpatrik wrote:

Looks like about 2/3 of it....at least...maybe more. But, as has been stated many times in this thread, all VH albums are written this way.

Thanks. Yeah, thats cool; after all, who cares as long as its good stuff? If its good it should be released anyways. But I was curious, because Sammy went on record saying this about the new VH: "I think they chose to take the easy route and take some of their old stuff and and re-record it instead of writing new songs." Plus "To me, it makes a strange statement, it kind of says, 'We don't have anything, we're not a band anymore, we're not creative.'"

Granted, Sammy's been talking so much about VH it seems he has issues. Still the above is interesting as it gives the idea that indeed the albums Sammy were on were not made up by a major portion of ideas off of old demos. Did Eddie change ways of songwriting with Sammy on board? Obviously the music was different, but the use of ideas I mean.

Here's the article: http://www.radiometal.com/en/article/chickenfoot-the-red-rocker%E2%80%99s-explosive-cocktail,56414
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:52 pm

stpatrik wrote:
If Dave can be believed, it's all old material.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:55 pm

stpatrik wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
stpatrik wrote:

Thanks. Yeah, thats cool; after all, who cares as long as its good stuff? If its good it should be released anyways. But I was curious, because Sammy went on record saying this about the new VH: "I think they chose to take the easy route and take some of their old stuff and and re-record it instead of writing new songs." Plus "To me, it makes a strange statement, it kind of says, 'We don't have anything, we're not a band anymore, we're not creative.'"

Granted, Sammy's been talking so much about VH it seems he has issues. Still the above is interesting as it gives the idea that indeed the albums Sammy were on were not made up by a major portion of ideas off of old demos. Did Eddie change ways of songwriting with Sammy on board? Obviously the music was different, but the use of ideas I mean.

Here's the article: http://www.radiometal.com/en/article/chickenfoot-the-red-rocker%E2%80%99s-explosive-cocktail,56414

Yeah, but they wrote that way w/ Sammy too. EVH & AVH are always writing/demoing. Now, granted, with Sammy maybe they were using newer tapes, but they still were never a band that all 4 stood in a room and wrote new songs from the ground up for a new album...they always went to the tapes. Sammy has even said in the past he would arrange the parts & write lyrics to the music EVH & AVH put together.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 2:59 pm

stpatrik wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
stpatrik wrote:

I am a Hagar fan but in this case he is full of crap, in many interviews he has stated Eddie Van Halen has a seemingly endless supply of tapes with riffs, half ass ideas, etc, that would be the basis of what they would craft songs out of. I am sure alot of the ideas on some of those Hagar era tunes may have been ideas that started during DLR era, and it was at that time Hagar's job to turn these riffs into songs, like DLR does now in the band.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:03 pm

I like the new VH a lot. The only flaw (imo) is most of the lyrics (although there is a few remnants of the old Roth charm). The Music is great and I also have no problem with Dave's singing either (although a tad rusty)...

That's the only credit i'll give to Chickenfoot. Sammy's lyrics are better. I feel like Satriani is holding back way too much compared to what Eddie displayed on the new VH album. And for me the guitars are always where it's at.

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I like the new VH a lot. The only flaw (imo) is most of the lyrics (although there is a few remnants of the old Roth charm). The Music is great and I also have no problem with Dave's singing either (although a tad rusty)...

That's the only credit i'll give to Chickenfoot. Sammy's lyrics are better. I feel like Satriani is holding back way too much compared to what Eddie displayed on the new VH album. And for me the guitars are always where it's at.

Let's face it to TZ, neither Hagar or Roth are the Bob Dylans of the metal world, the difference is Roth's personality is so huge, then he can sell just about any song no matter how ridiculous the lyrical content maybe.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:17 pm

I think it's funny that for years fans talked so much trash about Van Halen. Now, after years and years of waiting, Van Halen finally put out a new album—which is quite good—and there seems to have been a call to arms. Fans are ready to battle! Haha.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I think it's funny that for years fans talked so much trash about Van Halen. Now, after years and years of waiting, Van Halen finally put out a new album—which is quite good—and there seems to have been a call to arms. Fans are ready to battle! Haha.

There is truth to that. VH have a very loyal fanbase. I imagine everyone had their fingers crossed that they wouldn't repeat the VH III mishap.
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Such a loyal fanbase that many refuse to acknowledge a large part of their discography Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Dave's personality is the real difference between the two eras, he has the ability to "SELL IT" like few others in the hard rock world, it adds a sense of abandon and recklessness to the proceedings...and I think that attitude inspires the band to greater heights. That rooster-sure swagger is only present when DLR is fronting the band.

...when Hagar is on vocals it just doesn't work for me at all. When Dave is behind the wheel it's a badass muscle car...with Hagar it's a Volvo station wagon.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
Dave's personality is the real difference between the two eras, he has the ability to "SELL IT" like few others in the hard rock world, it adds a sense of abandon and recklessness to the proceedings...and I think that attitude inspires the band to greater heights. That rooster-sure swagger is only present when DLR is fronting the band.

...when Hagar is on vocals it just doesn't work for me at all. When Dave is behind the wheel it's a badass muscle car...with Hagar it's a Volvo station wagon.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:29 pm

S.D. wrote:

Souped up a little....Come on, Sammy isn't that bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2012 5:33 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Souped up a little....Come on, Sammy isn't that bad.

I didn't say he was bad, but it's a different ride entirely. That Volvo is a real safe ride, gets great gas mileage and won't frighten your children.

Dave might crash you into the wall at 130mph, but DAMN the ride is fun while it lasts.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 19 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 19 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24 ... 29  Next