Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth

Go down 
+61
Orion Crystal Ice
ZetaReticuli
journeyman
BillRoxx
Speedmetalfreak
criss3o
akeldama
lynch
arttieTHE1manparty
Dellocatus
DevZor
Vexer6
ultmetal
stpatrik
JaguarBlaze
DallasBlack
mikeinfla
A Handful of Wayne
Dark Horseman
Nico
Shiney
Wayne
sheets
Joe
EmoElmo
Addy
iamrockerfun
7thSaviour
Dave the Boss
chewie
snooloui
TheDoctor'sScarf
adrian
krokus
DeathCult
Chairman_Smith
metalinmyveins
nevermore
Temple of Blood
Ben Grimm
mlotek
jstate
XYZ
MEGATRON
JBall_Z
Andy
Metal Misfit
thejokeriv
James B.
exact33
brokentulsa
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Witchfinder
manny
Shawn Of Fire
tohostudios
Alex Dee Rokket
Troublezone
Eyesore
65 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 29  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 3:09 pm

manny wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
manny wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Saw this on YouTube, thought it was pretty bad-ass.

Never knew they played solo Hagar tunes when he was in Halen.

And seriously, that's easily one of the best rock riffs ever recorded.

Wow, that means I have a C.D that you don't have. lol! This song is on their double live album Van Halen Live: Right Here, Right Now.
Van Halen were victims of The Great Air Force Sell-Off. I used to have all their albums, but sold them for dorm-room space. Now I only have like three.

You need to grab the rest of DLR era of their career.

What did you think about the Warner Brothers remasters? I have all of them and Madonna's first three albums by Warner Brothers, since they received the same treatment. I know that you've said your also a Madonna fan Manny. Any thoughts on those as well?

I thought they did an excellent job on them, but I am not sure if this is the right word or not, but it sounded it bit compressed, it that makes sense, to my ears, the original albums had more organic and warmer sound, I am not sure if that makes sense.

For the Madonna albums the remastering worked better then the Van Halen albums IMO, maybe because the VH albums were recorded more or less live in the studio, I am not an engineer so I am not sure if my description is making much sense.

Well, I know what you mean, but I don't know if I have the ear for that type of stuff. When you play the remastered C.D versus that of vinyl, it's obvious which one wins out. With that being said, from what I remember the initial C.D's out of Warner really needed a boost in sound, so these remastered editions surely did that. In fact, that boost in sound might be louder than anything I have to date, when it comes to reissued albums. I like the Madonna remasters as well. They kind of suffered from the same thing as early Van Halen releases on C.D, but then what 80's/early 90's C.D's didn't suffer in this area?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 1:47 pm

and for the latest in recycled songs...

The new track "Blood & Fire" is a re-written version of an instrumental (with lyrics added) used in the film "The Wild Life" in 1984.

So far we've heard 3 "new" tracks from Van Halen, dating from 1976, 1978 & 1984.

Wow, sounds like Eddie and the boys really poured a whole lot of creativity into this new release...
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:14 pm

S.D. wrote:

The new track "Blood & Fire" is a re-written version of an instrumental (with lyrics added) used in the film "The Wild Life" in 1984.

So far we've heard 3 "new" tracks from Van Halen, dating from 1976, 1978 & 1984.

Wow, sounds like Eddie and the boys really poured a whole lot of creativity into this new release...

I was wondering if they would ever use that...it was also used in Back To The Future to scare the bejeezus out of George McFly.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:15 pm

S.D. wrote:

Hell, its hard to write new songs, when the two main songwriters cannot be in the same room together longer then 5 minutes
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:17 pm

manny wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Hell, its hard to write new songs, when the two main songwriters cannot be in the same room together longer then 5 minutes

But, again, I stress that EVH has ALWAYS written this way...stockpiled riffs/bits corralled into songs when album time comes...he's not doing anything differently.

The only difference is that a lot of his demos, etc have leaked on the internet.

"Jump" was written well before even Diver Down. Sammy Hagar commented that all the music used on VH3 was music he already knew.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:24 pm

Eh, it's not a bad tune I guess. There's probably allot of bands that dig up old material and re-use it, but I get what you're saying SD. In fact, it may have gone down a little something like this...

Music Exec: "Guys, we can make an obscene amount of money if you hop aboard the re-union train and tour, but we kinda need an album to promote. Tacking on a new song or 2 to another greatest hits comp ain't cutting it no more. They're onto us. You got anything, Ed?"

Eddie: "Well, I've got some old demos sitting in a box propping open the door of my bathroom. Maybe I can find something in there to slap together. Dave?"

DLR: "Zappy-dappy whoop-dee-doo!! Let's fire up the engine, kick the whitewalls and take 'er for a spin round the 3rd rock from the sun. WOOOOOOOOOO-WEEEEEEEE!! Skippity-bop-bop-deedle-doo"

Wolfgang: "Mmmrph-gurg-murmf nom-nom-nom."

DLR: "Geez Wolfie, put down the pizza for a sec. I ain't seen someone go down that fast since 1978 backstage at the Whiskey with the Lotso Twins and their mom. Bozzy-bozzy-bop, diddy bop. Alex, you have anything to add?"

Alex: "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Whatever Ed says. My neck hurts. Grrrrrrrrrr".

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Eh, it's not a bad tune I guess. There's probably allot of bands that dig up old material and re-use it, but I get what you're saying SD. In fact, it may have gone down a little something like this...

Music Exec: "Guys, we can make an obscene amount of money if you hop aboard the re-union train and tour, but we kinda need an album to promote. Tacking on a new song or 2 to another greatest hits comp ain't cutting it no more. They're onto us. You got anything, Ed?"

Eddie: "Well, I've got some old demos sitting in a box propping open the door of my bathroom. Maybe I can find something in there to slap together. Dave?"

DLR: "Zappy-dappy whoop-dee-doo!! Let's fire up the engine, kick the whitewalls and take 'er for a spin round the 3rd rock from the sun. WOOOOOOOOOO-WEEEEEEEE!! Skippity-bop-bop-deedle-doo"

Wolfgang: "Mmmrph-gurg-murmf nom-nom-nom."

DLR: "Geez Wolfie, put down the pizza for a sec. I ain't seen someone go down that fast since 1978 backstage at the Whiskey with the Lotso Twins and their mom. Bozzy-bozzy-bop, diddy bop. Alex, you have anything to add?"

Alex: "Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Whatever Ed says. My neck hurts. Grrrrrrrrrr".

Laughing very hard

...by the way, I didn't know Alex talked! Do we have proof that he's ever spoken?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 pm

That song should have remained on the shelf. This could end up being the Laziest album of all time.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:28 pm

So, what everyone expected was for DLR & EVH to get in a room and write all new, freshly conceived music that nobody's ever heard...in other words, do exactly the OPPOSITE of what they've always done?

That doesn't make any sense.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Quote :
...by the way, I didn't know Alex talked! Do we have proof that he's ever spoken?

Only when he's bad-mouthing Dave or Sammy.

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:30 pm

I kind of expected Diver Down Part 2 (a few new songs, bunch of covers and other filler).

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:33 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

Only when he's bad-mouthing Dave or Sammy.

Yeah, but doesn't Eddie always finish Alex's thoughts for him? Poor Alex, he's practically a mute. I suppose becoming a monk (those who don't speak) wouldn't really be much of a stretch. He should apply.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
So, what everyone expected was for DLR & EVH to get in a room and write all new, freshly conceived music that nobody's ever heard...in other words, do exactly the OPPOSITE of what they've always done?

I'd rather them work that way then hire outside hit-making writers. At least it's Dave & Eddie writing the songs, not Desmond Child.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
That song should have remained on the shelf. This could end up being the Laziest album of all time.

Yeah, that clip is making that Tatoo song sound epic.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I'd rather them work that way then hire outside hit-making writers. At least it's Dave & Eddie writing the songs, not Desmond Child.

Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 2:41 pm

S.D. wrote:
This could end up being the Laziest album of all time.

Yeah ... but worse than "Chinese Democracy" or "St. Anger"?

Those just reek of "I don't care anymore".
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:04 pm

Just went and listened to the clip for "Blood & Fire"...I like it better than "Tattoo"...reminds me a tad of the Diver Down stuff...

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 4:33 pm

Most folks are jaded. music snobs, are too damn old. Take things for what they are.

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Exactly.

Wait. You'd rather have bad songs than good songs just because the band wrote them? I'm not saying he'd do a better job, just that I'd rather them get someone in and write some decent stuff than go it alone and fail miserably.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 5:50 pm

snooloui wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Exactly.

Wait. You'd rather have bad songs than good songs just because the band wrote them? I'm not saying he'd do a better job, just that I'd rather them get someone in and write some decent stuff than go it alone and fail miserably.

I would rather have Van Halen fail with their own material then succeed with hack songwriters that take soul and balls out of the songs
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:07 pm

Quote :
I would rather have Van Halen fail with their own material then succeed with hack songwriters that take soul and balls out of the songs

Ditto. Compare the classic works of Aerosmith, mainly written by Steven & Joe, compared to the 90's stuff with Desmond Child, Diane Warren, Marti Fredreckson (sp?) and other outside writers. I'll take their worst 70's output over another 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing', their 1st number 1 hit.

Ozzy's last album Scream was written by everyone under the planet, except the band and it shows.

Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:08 pm

I would agree if it were 1978 but it isn't. I think the 'soul and balls' has already gone from Van Halen's music.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 6:31 pm

manny wrote:
snooloui wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Exactly.

I wholeheartedly agree with this!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:25 pm

I don't mind them using shelved ideas, I just hope they aren't pretending it's 1978. I've got high hope for the album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 8:26 pm

snooloui wrote:
I would agree if it were 1978 but it isn't. I think the 'soul and balls' has already gone from Van Halen's music.
I think that no matter what, people are going to trash this album. Welcome to the Internet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth   Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth
Page 8 of 29Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 29  Next