Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution

Go down 
+38
chewie
Shiney
7thSaviour
allthingsmetal
nevermore
stepcousin
Hadley
Vexer6
Pantera
CRIMSONMASK
CraiggyOats
Witchfinder
rawr!
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
James B.
maper74
jstate
Rocked&Rolled
Wargod
exact33
kmorg
thejokeriv
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
sheets
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mlotek
Shawn Of Fire
stormspell
Wurthless
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
manny
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
The worst aspect of these bands though was the fashion and everything that went along with that rap/metal craze.

It was the Age Of the Frat-Boy Douche.

I think I hated that aspect of it more than the music itself. That and the way K0rn bounced around on stage. Half-stooped over and hopping. It always looked retarded to me.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:16 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
The worst aspect of these bands though was the fashion and everything that went along with that rap/metal craze.

That's exactly what it was. Spot on...

...and I couldn't stand 3/4's of those guys.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I think I hated that aspect of it more than the music itself. That and the way K0rn bounced around on stage. Half-stooped over and hopping. It always looked retarded to me.

Yes to this also. There's choreography and then there were bands like K0rn who must have spent hours on this.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:21 am

Hadley wrote:
I wonder if these episodes are edited. The reason why i think so is because the lists they show include several bands not featured. For example, the shock rock episode left out WASP, GWAR, and the New York Dolls, despite them being on the list. I wonder if there were segments on those bands that got cut.

That chart was created for the other doc that Samm Dunn did earlier. He's just revisiting it and breaking it down for for this series. And who knows home many folks he contacted for interviews and turned him down. GWAR was interviewed too. The main guy, Oderus Fromunda or whatever his name is.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:23 am

Quote :
Pretty much. A guy from Fangoria magazine basically said you can watch real beheadings on the internet now. How can you top that to shock people? Alice said you'd have to cut off your own arms on stage and you can only do that bit twice. That made me chuckle.

Or the Rammstein guy claiming the only shocking thing left to do was commit suicide onstage.... and you just know it was something he'd given serious thought to.

Quote :

Once Venom (who I've never liked) and King Diamond (ditto) came on

I thought it was interesting how open both were about the fact it was all an act to get attention. I guess Venom has always kinda been admitting it. But KD really surprised me with how honest he was regarding his image. I don't know that I'd ever even seen him interviewed without the make-up or in character. Still blows my mind that he lives in a quiet Dallas Texas suburb. A part of the younger me from way back is so disappointed it's not a coffin in a castle.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:29 am

Quote :
Or the Rammstein guy claiming the only shocking thing left to do was commit suicide onstage.... and you just know it was something he'd given serious thought to.

GG Allin always claimed that's how he was gonna go out. An overdose at someones home ruined that.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:35 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

GG Allin always claimed that's how he was gonna go out. An overdose at someones home ruined that.

Yea, I used to see ads for his shows in the local music paper and they'd always say something like "G.G. Allin - WILL HE SURVIVE THE NIGHT?"

A guy I worked with invited me to come to an Allin gig once many years ago... I declined. I figured at worst, he'd shove a stick of dynamite up his a$$ and I'd go home covered in organ bits, or he'd throw poo and I'd go home with that on me, either way, it was not my idea of a fun night out.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:37 am

This is going back to the grunge episodes, but what did you guys think about bands like Days of the New being lumped into those post grunge bands that were ridiculed? They never mentioned them by name, but they showed a video of "Shelf in the Room". I NEVER considered them to be a part of that movement. They sounded nothing like Creed, Bush, etc... Hell, I think Travis Meeks could run circles around most, if not all of those featured in the Grunge movement. Unfortunately, he could run circles around most of them as it pertained to his issues with drugs.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 am

I finally saw the Shock Rock episode - great show! Alice and KISS were great. Cool to see Venom and Burger King Diamond on the show. I am guessing KD was interviewed right after his heart surgery as he looked pretty frail in his clips. Rob Zombie (not a fan of his music) came across well. The dude from Gwar was all show. Then we got into the douche bag segment of the show. Once again it was confirmed that Manson is a douche bag. The guy from Slipknot came off as a douche bag trying to act smart by throwing out a few metaphors. Rammstein, yep douche bags. However said Sprockets got it right. Personally, I have no need to spend money on a show where one of the performers straps on a ejaculating dildo and shoots it all over the first few rows. But, I guess that's the "concert takeaway" instead of a guitar pic you get fake jizz.....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:45 am

Quote :
but what did you guys think about bands like Days of the New being lumped into those post grunge bands that were ridiculed?

Honeslty, never gave them the time of day. I recall them getting lotsa airplay and being somewhat popular, but it was also around that time I stopped listeing to regular radio. His vocals had that similiar sound though, so that's probably why they got lumped in. I forget what they called it in the episode. Like he was singing with an underbite.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:50 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
but what did you guys think about bands like Days of the New being lumped into those post grunge bands that were ridiculed?

Honeslty, never gave them the time of day. I recall them getting lotsa airplay and being somewhat popular, but it was also around that time I stopped listeing to regular radio. His vocals had that similiar sound though, so that's probably why they got lumped in. I forget what they called it in the episode. Like he was singing with an underbite.

YARL!

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:51 am

I finished watching the Shock Rock episode last night. Thought the Slipknot guy came off as pretentious.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:52 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :

YARL!

That's it!! The YARL!!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 2:08 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
This is going back to the grunge episodes, but what did you guys think about bands like Days of the New being lumped into those post grunge bands that were ridiculed? They never mentioned them by name, but they showed a video of "Shelf in the Room". I NEVER considered them to be a part of that movement. They sounded nothing like Creed, Bush, etc... Hell, I think Travis Meeks could run circles around most, if not all of those featured in the Grunge movement. Unfortunately, he could run circles around most of them as it pertained to his issues with drugs.

Nothing like Creed or Nickleback at all, and if Travis Meeks was influenced by the 'grunge' movement, he came by that honestly, since he was still a teenager when he wrote and recorded those first two albums.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I finished watching the Shock Rock episode last night. Thought the Slipknot guy came off as pretentious.

I have two Slipknot disc, and I like them, but they try to hard to be 'evil' 'bad ass' and to come off 'angry', their song titles alone such as 'People+ Sh!t' and lyrics prove this, yes he came off as a pretentious douchebag.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 3:33 pm

I really enjoyed the Shock Rock episode. I also think the Slipknot dude sounded like a complete jackass. Also, why the hell would Sam Dunn be afraid of Slipknot???? Not scary in the slightest.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Also, why the hell would Sam Dunn be afraid of Slipknot???? Not scary in the slightest.

Key word in his phrasing of that particular sentence was "clown"

Perhaps dude has a phobia for clowns ?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:

Very pretentious.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:11 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:

Days Of The New attempted to merge the Grunge movement with the Unplugged movement taking it very commercial...they were like a more radio-friendly, homogenized Alice In Chains...
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 7:14 pm

James B. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Also, why the hell would Sam Dunn be afraid of Slipknot???? Not scary in the slightest.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 8:57 pm

James B. wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

Maybe he read It by Stephen King too many times.....
Back to top Go down
Pantera
Metal novice
Metal novice
Pantera

Number of posts : 52

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 11:42 pm

Just finished watching the Power Metal episode.

I never really thought of myself as a power metal fan (...doom, thrash, or death metal would be my preference), but some of the bands on this episode weren't that bad.

I already like the Scorpions, Dio, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest which apparently had a big influence on the power metal bands that were featured. The only current power metal bands that I have CD's of are Iced Earth, Nightwish, and I love Children of Bodom's first 3 CD's (I always thought of them more as melodic death metal).

Any power metal fans here?

I thought Dragonforce sounded good enough to explore.

Last edited by Pantera on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 11:55 pm

I love Dragon Force myself, I can understand why some people find they're material a bit repetitive, though I don't have that problem myself. Too bad ZP Theart just left the band, hopefully they're new singer can measure up.
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 12:59 am

I loved how guys like Halford, Dickinson, Dio, et al sat down with Sam for this show, even a prima donna like Yngwie! But Joey Demaio stiffs him. What a douche. Other than that, a great episode tonight. I'm inspired to hit Manifest tomorrow for some power metal. I already dig & have CDs by Iced Earth, Dragonforce &, Nightwish. Anybody got any recommendations for CDs from Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gravedigger, or any of the other bands? I do prefer my tunes on the fast, thrashy side.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 7:15 am

CRIMSONMASK wrote:
I loved how guys like Halford, Dickinson, Dio, et al sat down with Sam for this show, even a prima donna like Yngwie! But Joey Demaio stiffs him. What a douche. Other than that, a great episode tonight. I'm inspired to hit Manifest tomorrow for some power metal. I already dig & have CDs by Iced Earth, Dragonforce &, Nightwish. Anybody got any recommendations for CDs from Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gravedigger, or any of the other bands? I do prefer my tunes on the fast, thrashy side.

Just dig back in the archives of threads on said bands on this board. HammerFall even has their own Discography thread in the apropriate section.

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next