Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution

Go down 
+38
chewie
Shiney
7thSaviour
allthingsmetal
nevermore
stepcousin
Hadley
Vexer6
Pantera
CRIMSONMASK
CraiggyOats
Witchfinder
rawr!
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
James B.
maper74
jstate
Rocked&Rolled
Wargod
exact33
kmorg
thejokeriv
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
sheets
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mlotek
Shawn Of Fire
stormspell
Wurthless
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
manny
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:31 pm

S.D. wrote:
So far I've seen Tool described as the following genres in this thread alone...

Prog Metal
Grunge
Alternative Metal
Industrial

This is why sub-genres are worthless, EVERYONE interprets them differently.

:dunno

I'm always right, and everyone else not agreeing are wrong!

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 12087
VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 499945

Razz

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:43 pm

"Industrial" to me contains non-traditional instruments. Drum machines, sound effects, digitized and chopped up guitar sounds, vocal effects, etc. ala Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Nine Inch Nails.

Tool is primarily guitar/bass/drums.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
The Prog episode started out cool but it lost me once they got into Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

How is D.E.P. considered "Progressive?" It sounded like a trunk full of musical equipment falling down an elevator shaft.

Finally saw this episode this morning and have to agree. I was digging it until they got to Meshuggah & Dillinger Escape Plan.

DEP is all about aggression and speed, it's barely even metal and isn't very progressive as far as I can tell. It has more in common with punk and hardcore. I use to have stuff by them and thought it was cool at first but the novelty wore off and I ended up trading them. Same with Training for Utopia.

I did enjoy how much the episode focused back to bands like Yes, King Crimson and Genesis. A band they missed was Nektar, who were a huge influence on the sound of Iron Maiden. I heard Pink Floyd mentioned by a few people, but they didn't really focus on them either. Perhaps Pink Floyd were never dark and heavy enough.

Chris Squire has always been on of my favorite bass players. He didn't look to good in that episode. He was sort of bloated looking and he's always been a fairly think man.

Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Anyone know if another season is in the works? I'd love to see episodes on more obscure subgenres like southern metal or stoner metal.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Haven't watched any of this series, but I think DEP can definitely fall within the spectrum of prog metal, namely the "tech metal" side. Lots of time-signature changes, jazzy elements scattered throughout.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Tur-Thalion wrote:
Haven't watched any of this series, but I think DEP can definitely fall within the spectrum of prog metal, namely the "tech metal" side. Lots of time-signature changes, jazzy elements scattered throughout.

I think that I have seen them called Math Punk or Math Metal around the net.
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 3:52 am

The problem with Prog metal is, it is so vast that you can create a subgenre out of a particular subgenre/category, you attach the term 'progressive' in a musical style and it gets confusing as heck.....anyways, that episode was one of the dullest, too much "What?! Thay are Prog?!" kind of shyt going on as you go along

My Top 3 Episodes

1. NWOBHMl
2. Power
3. Thrash

Bottom 3 (Worst to Worse)

1 .Early Metal US
2. Prog
3. Early Metal UK

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:02 am

Quote :
Anyone know if another season is in the works? I'd love to see episodes on more obscure subgenres like southern metal or stoner metal.

I think it would be a safe bet that more (or something else with Sam) will be coming seeing as how they gave it the SuperBowl marathon slot and seem to be re-playing them more and more. Pretty clear they consider it a ratings winner. Rather than do the genre thing, I'd much rather see an off shoot with more metal topics discussed. Religion, sex, censorship - that sort of thing. But most of all I'd kill for a part 2 of the Shock Rock episode. Loved that one a whole lot.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:08 am

Over the weekend I watched:

NWOBHM
Progressive
Nu
Thrash
Early Metal Part 2

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

NWOBHM
Progressive
Nu
Thrash
Early Metal Part 2

What did you think?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:21 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

NWOBHM
Progressive
Nu
Thrash
Early Metal Part 2

Cool! Even though I hate all things nu-metal, I thought it was a well done episode.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:22 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

NWOBHM
Progressive
Nu
Thrash
Early Metal Part 2

What did you think?

NWOBHM - fun to watch, nothing I had never heard before
Progressive - same...though hearing more Mastodon music made me want to check them out deeper
Nu - made me really dislike the genre even more...I really hate that kind of music
Thrash - fun to watch, nothing I had never heard before
Early Metal Part 2 - found it interesting how Page/Plant want nothing to do w/ Metal

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:25 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

NWOBHM
Progressive
Nu
Thrash
Early Metal Part 2

What did you think?

Progressive - same...though hearing more Mastodon music made me want to check them out deeper
Nu - made me really dislike the genre even more...I really hate that kind of music
Early Metal Part 2 - found it interesting how Page/Plant want nothing to do w/ Metal

They are not the only ones, both Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore loathe the term heavy metal
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

NWOBHM
Progressive
Nu
Thrash
Early Metal Part 2

What did you think?

They are not the only ones, both Ian Gillan and Ritchie Blackmore loathe the term heavy metal

Then Joe Elliot is in good company... lol!

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:30 am

That Glam metal episode was really fun but the dude from Slipknot, what a pretentious twat!!!

I have agree with you Shawn that prog metal episode made me want to check out Mastodon even more. Also nice to see how often Genesis and Yes were referenced.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:31 am

manny wrote:
That Glam metal episode was really fun but the dude from Slipknot, what a pretentious twat!!!

I have agree with you Shawn that prog metal episode made me want to check out Mastodon even more. Also nice to see how often Genesis and Yes were referenced.

The Slipknot guy just takes himself too seriously...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:42 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

I kind of like them but alot of those lyrics I could have written when I was 16 and pissed off at world for no apparent reason. People= poop is not actually brilliant on any level.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:49 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:

I kind of like them but alot of those lyrics I could have written when I was 16 and pissed off at world for no apparent reason. People= poop is not actually brilliant on any level.

Nope...just a way to get people to jump, scream and curse at a live show...which is what sells.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:30 am

I liked all the episodes, some more than others, but I really enjoyed the episodes about genres that I don't like. It helped place them in context for me.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
NYCAnt
Metal novice
Metal novice
NYCAnt

Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 11:32 am

Ahhhh...the beauty of music...and hard rock/heavy metal included - constantly evolving - thta's how it stays fresh & interesting...we can always go back & enjoy what was many years ago, while hopefully being treated to something new & exciting...keep your eyes & ears open & you'll always be surprised & satisfied...

Rock On!

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 499945
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:42 am

VH1 Classic re-ran the entire "Metal Evolution" series over the course of this past Memorial Day weekend so I think I'm now officially caught up on whatever episodes I missed/only saw bits & pieces of.

Fave eps were the NWOBHM, thrash, glam and Shock Rock shows... though the Shock Rock episode was totally lacking anything on W.A.S.P. and definitely could've used more GWAR.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:12 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
VH1 Classic re-ran the entire "Metal Evolution" series over the course of this past Memorial Day weekend so I think I'm now officially caught up on whatever episodes I missed/only saw bits & pieces of.

Fave eps were the NWOBHM, thrash, glam and Shock Rock shows... though the Shock Rock episode was totally lacking anything on W.A.S.P. and definitely could've used more GWAR.

We all could use more GWAR VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 499945
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 10:19 am

CRIMSONMASK wrote:

We all could use more GWAR VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 499945

Ain't that the truth! \'arry \'eadbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 7:15 pm

Been watching this on the Roku...it's fantastic! Very well done, great interviews, very informative. I'm glad I came to this thread late, because I missed all of the stupid arguing over genres and "what is metal", but I also missed out on the discussion in real time. Anyhow, this is pretty cool documentary.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 7:21 pm

I remember bursting out at Scorpions under "power metal". That guy is just as much of a tool as Eddie Trunk.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next