Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution

Go down 
+38
chewie
Shiney
7thSaviour
allthingsmetal
nevermore
stepcousin
Hadley
Vexer6
Pantera
CRIMSONMASK
CraiggyOats
Witchfinder
rawr!
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
James B.
maper74
jstate
Rocked&Rolled
Wargod
exact33
kmorg
thejokeriv
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
sheets
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mlotek
Shawn Of Fire
stormspell
Wurthless
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
manny
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 7:51 am

Im surprised they didnt cover Iced Earth so we could get a US perspective on Power Metal (yeah, they covered Manowar but still,,).
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 8:36 am

I am not a fan of powermetal genre for the most part but I enjoyed this episode, may have been, at least the best one yet, it explained to me the appeal of genre that for the most part have not cared for.

I did find it amazing that Alice Cooper, Bruce Dickinson, Halford, Yngwie, Kim Thayil, Ace Frehley and a host of many many artist could sit down and have chin wag with Sam Dunn but that douche bag from Manowar stood him up for interview.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 am

Another great episode!!!!!! That guy from Manowar is a douche bag. At least Ross The Boss sat down with him!

One thing I am happy about is next week's episode, Progressive Metal, is being labeled as the SEASON finale. Glad to see they are extending the series, especially since when it first started it was sold as an eleven part series.

I even liked the episode on Nu-Metal, which just confirmed my thoughts that Fred Durst is a douche bag.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 11:38 am

Regarding Manowar.....

I see it happening like this: Sam sets up interview, Joey agrees. Then a lawyer says don't go unless you get paid said amount of money. Notice how every other band mentioned and/or interviewed had sound clips playing. No Manowar tunes and the photos they showed were from magazines and owned by somebody besides Manowar. Ross The Boss had the right attitude, he didn't seem to take himself or what he did in Manowar too seriously.

Sam took the high road and let it go at that. Shows a lil class IMHO

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 2:56 pm

For the most part Sam covered most Euro bands in the power metal scene. I thought how he did this segment was pretty spot on even if he was clueless about power metal.

The final episode next week has the focus on progressive metal. That should be interesting.

I wounder if he will and later on death metal, black metal, dOOm, gothic..................be fun fun to see where it leads.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I wonder what specific bands he is the biggest fan of...I know he likes stuff like Maiden, Slayer & Venom...I know he has a tendency toward more extreme metal...but I wonder what his faves are.

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 3:11 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I wonder what specific bands he is the biggest fan of...I know he likes stuff like Maiden, Slayer & Venom...I know he has a tendency toward more extreme metal...but I wonder what his faves are.

Well, I know he said "Rush" was his favorite band in Beyond The Lighted Stage. Not metal I know, but it makes sense.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 3:14 pm

S.D. wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Well, I know he said "Rush" was his favorite band in Beyond The Lighted Stage. Not metal I know, but it makes sense.

It's a requirement in Canada in lieu of military service.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 29, 2012 5:37 pm

CRIMSONMASK wrote:
I loved how guys like Halford, Dickinson, Dio, et al sat down with Sam for this show, even a prima donna like Yngwie! But Joey Demaio stiffs him. What a douche. Other than that, a great episode tonight. I'm inspired to hit Manifest tomorrow for some power metal. I already dig & have CDs by Iced Earth, Dragonforce &, Nightwish. Anybody got any recommendations for CDs from Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gravedigger, or any of the other bands? I do prefer my tunes on the fast, thrashy side.

I haven't seen this episode yet but I have to assume that they start with Helloween...but anyway, other good power metal to check out (IMO): Rage, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Chinchilla (they all have more 'thrashy' riffs than the euro metal ones). If you like Dragonforce you may like Cellador (makes me think of a combo of Dragonforce and old Helloween).
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 30, 2012 11:56 am

The power metal episode has been my least favorite thus far (still haven't gotten to the nu-metal one). And I'm a power metal fan. I think part of it's problem was it came after the great shock rock one. Just wasn't as entertaining to me.

I wonder if Joey's problem with Sam stems from pointing out the undertones of Manowar's act. I can't remember exactly but I think that was addressed in A Headbangers Journey.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:29 am

Saw most of the power metal episode last night (as usual, I landed on it whilst channel surfing so I missed the first 15 minutes or so)... nice to see Helloween gettin' a decent amount of love (even though all of the clips they showed of the band were 20+ years old and featured Michael Kiske on vox)...

And yea, Joey DeMaio is a bag of douche for skipping out on his interview w/Sam. At least Ross the Boss talked to him.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:30 am

Finally set the DVR to get all the rerun episodes...hopefully will catch up on them all in the coming weeks.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:53 am

What surprised me about the power metal episode is how huge these bands are all over Europe etc, I should not be, I have a lot of FB friends who love these bands and post nothing but power metal videos
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:58 am

manny wrote:
What surprised me about the power metal episode is how huge these bands are all over Europe etc, I should not be, I have a lot of FB friends who love these bands and post nothing but power metal videos

I was always a Helloween fan going back to the '80s and got way into it when the newer Euro-power metal stuff started taking off here in the late 90s (HammerFall, Iron Savior, Primal Fear, etc.) but aside from a few bands I'm pretty much over it nowadays. Too many of those bands keep making the same album year after year.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:01 am

The only power metal I had heard of back then was Helloween and Manowar, I liked Manowar, mainly because I found them amusing (DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!!), Helloween had the Keeper of the Seven Keys that I believe got some push in the States, but Primal Fear, Hammerfall, never heard of them til the late 90's, by then these guys had been around over a decade.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:04 am

Quote :
Primal Fear, Hammerfall, never heard of them til the late 90's, by then these guys had been around over a decade.

Actually most of them got started in the mid/late 90s...HammerFall's first album was '97, Primal Fear's was '98.

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:05 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :
Primal Fear, Hammerfall, never heard of them til the late 90's, by then these guys had been around over a decade.

Actually most of them got started in the mid/late 90s...HammerFall's first album was '97, Primal Fear's was '98.

This proves how little I knew about these bands and this genre, I can't even get the chronology correct!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:08 am

I started blind-buyin' the debuts of a lot of those Euro bands in the late 90s based on reviews I read in magazines, cuz of course they got no radio or MTV play on this side of the ocean. For awhile I was over the moon, like "woohoo, real metal is BACK!" but then a couple of years later, after two or three albums by each band, most of them started getting kinda stale. For a while though, just about anything I picked up on the Noise, Nuclear Blast or Century Media labels was gold.

Still dig those first couple of HammerFalls, Primal Fears, Iron Saviors, etc. though -- and Gamma Ray is still bangin' out quality shiz.

Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:22 am

allthingsmetal wrote:
CRIMSONMASK wrote:
I loved how guys like Halford, Dickinson, Dio, et al sat down with Sam for this show, even a prima donna like Yngwie! But Joey Demaio stiffs him. What a douche. Other than that, a great episode tonight. I'm inspired to hit Manifest tomorrow for some power metal. I already dig & have CDs by Iced Earth, Dragonforce &, Nightwish. Anybody got any recommendations for CDs from Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Gravedigger, or any of the other bands? I do prefer my tunes on the fast, thrashy side.

I haven't seen this episode yet but I have to assume that they start with Helloween...but anyway, other good power metal to check out (IMO): Rage, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian, Chinchilla (they all have more 'thrashy' riffs than the euro metal ones). If you like Dragonforce you may like Cellador (makes me think of a combo of Dragonforce and old Helloween).

Good call on the Chinchilla! I'd forgotten about Rage, use to have "Perfect Man" on cassette. I did pick up Hammerfall "Steel meets steel" best of CD & Grave Digger's ST. I'm really liking Blind Guardian the more I hear them.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:38 pm

I was pretty into Helloween in the late 80s or so but drifted away from them because I tend to like a heavier, edgier sound and I wasn't really finding it with them. This might be why a lot of Euro power metal doesn't satisfy me for long, seeing how a lot of it is basically following Helloween's lead. That said, I do enjoy Blind Guardian's stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:52 pm

"Power Metal - stunting teenage boys maturity since the 80's"
Back to top Go down
CRIMSONMASK
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
"Power Metal - stunting teenage boys maturity since the 80's"

42 year old teenager & proud of it! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 7:14 pm

[quote="Wargod"

I wounder if he will and later on death metal, black metal, dOOm, gothic..................be fun fun to see where it leads.

Wargod[/quote]

It was ALL covered in the Thrash Metal episode

I Can't believe they left out a missing link surprised

Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 6:55 am

I love this show. Samm Dunn is a metal genius! The Power Metal episode in particular was awesome!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:19 pm

Well after watching the last episode last night it started out good but faded quickly. To me he didn't do his homework on progressive metal. I thought the early part was good with King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Rush. And then he mentioned Queesnrche & Dream Theater. To me Mastodon didn't belong even thou they were influenced by early bands..

There were so many other prog bands anround during the 90's, but Tool no!

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next