Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution

Go down 
+38
chewie
Shiney
7thSaviour
allthingsmetal
nevermore
stepcousin
Hadley
Vexer6
Pantera
CRIMSONMASK
CraiggyOats
Witchfinder
rawr!
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
James B.
maper74
jstate
Rocked&Rolled
Wargod
exact33
kmorg
thejokeriv
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
sheets
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mlotek
Shawn Of Fire
stormspell
Wurthless
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
manny
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm

I found it interesting and Tool is a great band, and one of the best live shows I have ever seen
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:36 pm

Agreed.

Where were the bands like KING'S X, PORCUPINE TREE, THOUGHT INDUSTRY, MARILLION or TRIUMPH?

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:44 pm

manny wrote:
I found it interesting and Tool is a great band, and one of the best live shows I have ever seen

I'm only vaguely familiar with Tool, but would they be considered a 'prog' band?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:56 pm

ultmetal wrote:
manny wrote:

I'm only vaguely familiar with Tool, but would they be considered a 'prog' band?

Yes they are
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 5:59 pm

Tool are boring as hell.

My 13-year old watched this episode last night. He's watched them all but he was pissed at the amount of stuff not covered.

"Dad, they didn't even mention SAGA!"

I told him SAGA were not quite heavy enough, most likely. Then he asked if early STYX would be progressive...I said they certainly had progressive instints and moments, but not all the time.

He then asked why there had to be categories and niches for everything.

I told him whenever I figured that out I'd be sure to let him know.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:00 pm

The Prog episode started out cool but it lost me once they got into Meshuggah, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc.

How is D.E.P. considered "Progressive?" It sounded like a trunk full of musical equipment falling down an elevator shaft.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:07 pm

I wouldn't consider Tool or even a band like King's X as being "prog". The only reason they get lumped into that category is because their music doesn't fit any established category...since the lame-brained journalists can't deal with originality, they say "oh, I don't get them, so they MUST be a prog band!".

Some songs might have some progressive elements, but for the most part they are fairly straight-forward.

Last edited by S.D. on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:12 pm

Shiney wrote:

He then asked why there had to be categories and niches for everything.

I told him whenever I figured that out I'd be sure to let him know.

The kid is a genius and he's CORRECT...there SHOULDN'T be categories and niches for everything. Tell him human beings are really lazy and have a hard time thinking for themselves, categories make them feel better because they don't have to actually use their minds for anything.

Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Not a very good episode, it was half arsed and left us wanting for more...and I thought TOOL was Grunge mixed with a little bit of Industrial lol

Man whomever Dunn's advisors are they need to be a lil bit more precise
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Tool is not grunge (and never were) and aren't prog metal.

Their category is "Tool"

Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 8:19 pm

S.D. wrote:

Their category is "Tool"

But their sound reminds me of early Soundgarden
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:20 pm

S.D. wrote:

Their category is "Tool"

I consider them alternative metal.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 10:25 pm

Troublezone wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Their category is "Tool"

I consider them alternative metal.

That would be the best way to describe or categorize their music
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 am

S.D. wrote:

Their category is "Tool"

They aren't "prog" in the Dream Theater sense...but they do have a large Prog following...and are quite progressive.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 am

the commercials for the prog episode said season finale and not series finale surprised

am I whipping out my shovel or what ?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 11:10 am

James B. wrote:
the commercials for the prog episode said season finale and not series finale surprised

am I whipping out my shovel or what ?

I am betting that when Banger Films originally did the series, it was a one-short 11 part series and that after it started to air, VH1 Classic wanted more episodes and went back to the boys and set up a second season, hence selling it as the season finale as opposed to the series finale.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 11:16 am

So we may get an episode on arcane tr00 Norwegian grimm kvlt blakk mettle steele after all? Killer! headbanger

I kept tuning in throughout the day yesterday to catch bits 'n' pieces of some of the eps I missed - finally saw the thrash, NWOBHM and power metal shows in their entirety. Good stuff.

Missed the Glam one though, and I still wanna see that one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks to the marathon yesterday, I got all the episodes on DVR now...can't wait to check them all out in order.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:06 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Their category is "Tool"

They aren't "prog" in the Dream Theater sense...but they do have a large Prog following...and are quite progressive.

I would agree with that........... They did tour with King Crimson after all. Man, I missed that tour.............
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Pantera wrote:
Just finished watching the Power Metal episode.

I never really thought of myself as a power metal fan (...doom, thrash, or death metal would be my preference), but some of the bands on this episode weren't that bad.

I already like the Scorpions, Dio, Iron Maiden, and Judas Priest which apparently had a big influence on the power metal bands that were featured. The only current power metal bands that I have CD's of are Iced Earth, Nightwish, and I love Children of Bodom's first 3 CD's (I always thought of them more as melodic death metal).

Any power metal fans here?

I thought Dragonforce sounded good enough to explore.
I love Power Metal! I thought the Power Metal episode was very good, but of course they left out several other great Power Metal bands.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:13 pm

Wargod wrote:
For the most part Sam covered most Euro bands in the power metal scene. I thought how he did this segment was pretty spot on even if he was clueless about power metal.

The final episode next week has the focus on progressive metal. That should be interesting.

I wounder if he will and later on death metal, black metal, dOOm, gothic..................be fun fun to see where it leads.

Wargod
Exactly!
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Wargod wrote:
Well after watching the last episode last night it started out good but faded quickly. To me he didn't do his homework on progressive metal. I thought the early part was good with King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Rush. And then he mentioned Queesnrche & Dream Theater. To me Mastodon didn't belong even thou they were influenced by early bands..

There were so many other prog bands anround during the 90's, but Tool no!

Wargod
I am looking forward to watching the progmetal episode!
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:10 pm

I always considered Tool to be an industrial metal band.

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:16 pm

So far I've seen Tool described as the following genres in this thread alone...

Prog Metal
Grunge
Alternative Metal
Industrial

This is why sub-genres are worthless, EVERYONE interprets them differently.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 1:20 pm

S.D. wrote:
So far I've seen Tool described as the following genres in this thread alone...

Prog Metal
Grunge
Alternative Metal
Industrial

This is why sub-genres are worthless, EVERYONE interprets them differently.

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Khan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution
Page 9 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next