Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution

Go down 
+38
chewie
Shiney
7thSaviour
allthingsmetal
nevermore
stepcousin
Hadley
Vexer6
Pantera
CRIMSONMASK
CraiggyOats
Witchfinder
rawr!
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
James B.
maper74
jstate
Rocked&Rolled
Wargod
exact33
kmorg
thejokeriv
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
sheets
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mlotek
Shawn Of Fire
stormspell
Wurthless
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
manny
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 pm

RE The Early Hippie Metal episodes ( UK + US) , they should've merged it into one to make way for another subgenre, To think that they didn't delve into Extreme Metal that much is kinda lame angry

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 10:35 pm

EmoElmo wrote:
RE The Early Hippie Metal episodes ( UK + US) , they should've merged it into one to make way for another subgenre, To think that they didn't delve into Extreme Metal that much is kinda lame angry

"hippie metal"? Give me a f*cking break.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 10:46 pm

S.D. wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "hippie metal"? (I haven't seen the episode in question). Bands like Sabbath, Zep, and Purple?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 11:10 pm

Metal-On-Metal wrote:
S.D. wrote:
EmoElmo wrote:
RE The Early Hippie Metal episodes ( UK + US) , they should've merged it into one to make way for another subgenre, To think that they didn't delve into Extreme Metal that much is kinda lame VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 308838

What exactly do you mean by "hippie metal"? (I haven't seen the episode in question). Bands like Sabbath, Zep, and Purple?

Yes, European metal was Sabbath, Zep and Purple. American bands were Kiss, Ted Nugent, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, etc.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 11:34 pm

I'll readily admit to liking Limp Bizkit, I can fully understand why people don't like Durst(though I think he's OK) I tihnk Gold Cobra is a really good album. As for the whole Woodstock scenario, I don't blame the band, I blame the idiots who organzied that whole disastrous event, everything was overpriced, it was over 100 degrees because of the asphalt, no one was allowed to bring in their own food and drinks, bathroom facilities were insufficent, etc. That whole event was one big powder keg, even if Limp Bizkit didn't perform, something was bound to set the crowd off sooner or later, and if i'm playing the blame game, i'd argue that Insane Clown Posse were more to blame, they kicked beach balls with 100 dollar bills taped to them into the crowd and laughed when people started getting attacked.

BTW, were any of the band members from Saliva interviewed? "Every Six Seconds" was HUGE back in 2001.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Once they get through the subgenre episodes, i'd like to see ones done on individual topics in the metal scene. Stuff like Blacks in metal , the impact the internet has had on metal, and of course, one on Christian metal.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:52 am

Watched the nu-metal episode over the weekend and while I'm still not a fan of the genre, I found it interesting. Much like the entire series thus far, I'm not learning anything groundbreaking, but I'm entertained for 48 minutes. That's all I can ask for.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 12:05 pm

The way this series is playig out caters to those who go to Golden Corral and hit the salad bar and entree's first......Me, I go straight for the steak, and hit the seafood afterwards.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 12:11 pm

James B. wrote:
The way this series is playig out caters to those who go to Golden Corral and hit the salad bar and entree's first......Me, I go straight for the steak, and hit the seafood afterwards.

It's been my experience that folks that visit the Golden Corral don't know what a "salad" is.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 2:42 pm

The Shock Rock episode has been my favorite so far surprisingly. Anything with Screaming Jay Hawkins, Arthur Brown, Kim Fowley, Sideshow performers, and King Diamond (out of make-up lounging in his suburban Dallas home!) is going to get my love. Even the Slipknot Clown guy's super serious take on the nature of their act entertained me. Lots of fun stories throughout.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Quote :
Once they get through the subgenre episodes, i'd like to see ones done on individual topics in the metal scene. Stuff like Blacks in metal , the impact the internet has had on metal, and of course, one on Christian metal.

Agree. I thought the shock rock one did the best at this. It really wasn't so much about "genre" arguments but more about a topic.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 2:49 pm

Once again I only caught about half of the "Shock Rock" episode (I have yet to see any of the shows in this series in their entirety!) but what I saw was pretty cool.

I've read interviews w/Bruce Dickinson where he gives major credit to Arthur Brown for inspiring his vocal style, but it was nice to see him give the guy props in a major television production like this.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 2:53 pm

jstate wrote:
The Shock Rock episode has been my favorite so far surprisingly. Anything with Screaming Jay Hawkins, Arthur Brown, Kim Fowley, Sideshow performers, and King Diamond (out of make-up lounging in his suburban Dallas home!) is going to get my love. Even the Slipknot Clown guy's super serious take on the nature of their act entertained me. Lots of fun stories throughout.

It was an interesting episode with interviews and recognition of the not-so-usual suspects in the "gene" (I don't like this word Razz )

Dude from Slipknot must have took some night classes in psychology at the local junior college. I was "waiting" for the butterfly coming out of the cacoon anology to come from his mouth. Suppose a maggot into a fly is similar enough surprised

Curious point of both being flies and butterflies have a lifesapn of only what 2 or 3 days tops. Guess he didn't think that all the way through.

The funniest quote was from dude in Venom regarding satanic backmasting on Venom records. He says " the album is called "welcome to hell" and the song is called "in league with satan". Why play the record backwards to get "hidden" messages when you can just listen to it normal Laughing very hard

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:05 pm

That was great. Also Alice Cooper and the chicken with the first five rows being folks in wheelchairs and Frank Zappa telling him to never deny the story. Or Ace Frehley still wanting to "f his guitar" even though they were attracting children to the shows. Just a fun episode.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:32 pm

I wonder if these episodes are edited. The reason why i think so is because the lists they show include several bands not featured. For example, the shock rock episode left out WASP, GWAR, and the New York Dolls, despite them being on the list. I wonder if there were segments on those bands that got cut.
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 pm

James B. wrote:
Dude from Slipknot must have took some night classes in psychology at the local junior college. I was "waiting" for the butterfly coming out of the cacoon anology to come from his mouth. Suppose a maggot into a fly is similar enough surprised

I couldn't tell if the guy was actually serious or if he really believed that "salvation out of anger" babble. Watching him reminded me of a wrestler cutting a promo, which would be appropriate, I guess, since a lot of shock rock is about suckering audiences into believing your stage persona.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 4:07 pm

sheets wrote:
James B. wrote:

I couldn't tell if the guy was actually serious or if he really believed that "salvation out of anger" babble. Watching him reminded me of a wrestler cutting a promo, which would be appropriate, I guess, since a lot of shock rock is about suckering audiences into believing your stage persona.

I like Slipknot but he came off like a douchebag, I am not sure if the audience takes them or Manson seriously, I like them but I certainly don't. The type of rebellion Slipknot talking about, is prepacked and sold at Hot Topic.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:31 pm

I thought that was what made it hilarious, the fact that he seemed so righteously sincere in his belief that what they were doing was some higher purpose beyond just shock value. Especially since the premise of the whole episode revolved around how shock is a great selling point.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 5:52 pm

I thought the shock rock episode was good as well. Some great funny stories for sure.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:44 pm

I have not seen it yet. Did it go into how "shock" fades after a while and becomes "gimmick"?

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I have not seen it yet. Did it go into how "shock" fades after a while and becomes "gimmick"?

Oh yeah.

I forgot to mention earlier that the Rammstein guys were also hilarious to me. They seemed like they could have come out of an old Sprockets sketch on SNL.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 7:34 pm

I never much cared for the shock rock aspect of rock n roll. I like Alice Cooper and Kiss as bands but really couldnt care less about their showmanship. I guess it's just the Rush fan in me that cares more about the music than anything else.

Once Venom (who I've never liked) and King Diamond (ditto) came on, I just fastforwarded until the show came to someone who interested me. so I basically fastforwarded to the end of the show.

I'm looking forward very much to the Prog Rock episode.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 am

Watched the Shock Rock episode last night. And just like the others, I was entertained. Can't say I learned anything new or shocking, but it was still cool to see the old footage of Alice & Venom.

The Slipknot guy seemed way too serious and up his own ass about their whole deal. I woulda like to have seen a current interview with Manson to see what he's up to these days. All the footage of him was old stuff.

Quote :
Did it go into how "shock" fades after a while and becomes "gimmick"?

Pretty much. A guy from Fangoria magazine basically said you can watch real beheadings on the internet now. How can you top that to shock people? Alice said you'd have to cut off your own arms on stage and you can only do that bit twice. That made me chuckle.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:00 am

I was out of town this past weekend, so I missed the shock rock episode. I'm sure VH-1 classic will show it at least another 10 times this week. Regarding the Nu-Metal episode, it was well done, but man it was tough to relive what those days were like. In my view, those years (96-01) were like the worst times for heavy music in regards to what MTV and the like were telling us was good. I remember feeling like you couldn't escape the \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\" and Limp Bizkits of the world. It wasn't that I hated their whole catalog of music, but I hated the majority. The worst aspect of these bands though was the fashion and everything that went along with that rap/metal craze. Hell, I thought it was worst than the glam-metal boys and they were bad. Having run a hat store in the 90's, I can't tell you how many Fred Durst wannabe's rolled in and out with that stupid red Yankees cap. God, I hated that hat. If I never see one of those hats again, I will be a very happy man.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 24, 2012 10:10 am

Quote :
The worst aspect of these bands though was the fashion and everything that went along with that rap/metal craze.

It was the Age Of the Frat-Boy Douche.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next