Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution

Go down 
+38
chewie
Shiney
7thSaviour
allthingsmetal
nevermore
stepcousin
Hadley
Vexer6
Pantera
CRIMSONMASK
CraiggyOats
Witchfinder
rawr!
Metal Misfit
Lurideath
EmoElmo
Alex Dee Rokket
James B.
maper74
jstate
Rocked&Rolled
Wargod
exact33
kmorg
thejokeriv
DeathCult
Fat Freddy
sheets
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
mlotek
Shawn Of Fire
stormspell
Wurthless
ultmetal
metalinmyveins
Required Fields
manny
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:53 pm

At the very least, it will give us here plenty of fodder to work with. VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 12087 I never get tired of debating what's "metal" and what's not.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 12:53 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
At the very least, it will give us here plenty of fodder to work with. VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 12087 I never get tired of debating what's "metal" and what's not.

or how it looks Razz

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:01 pm

True, true!! Wink

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've only seen Dunn's "Headbanger's Journey" and Rush documentaries (I still have "Flight 666" recorded onto a DVD somewhere, but have never watched it!) and dug both of them. The guy seems to know his stuff.

I doubt the chart pictured above is going to be the exact backbone of this forthcoming series. Lord knows he's probably had so many e-mails and letters from angry genre nit pickers that he's probably revised it several times by now. Very Happy

Those are just the ones he received from Temple of Blood!!
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 9:24 pm

This is gonna rawk oh and of course season 9 of That Metal Show is that sat as well.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
Rocked&Rolled
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: What the...??   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:33 pm

Am I missing something here? where the hell is TOOL on this chart??
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Rocked&Rolled wrote:

Dude, you aint gonna fit everyone on there. It's hardly "THE DEFINATIVE LIST of ALL METAL EVER". And besides, even if Tool made the cut, there would still be arguments as to where they belong. Prog? Alternative? Grunge? VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 436688

Not a knock against Tool. Just sayin.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 5:45 pm

Rocked&Rolled wrote:

I don't think that chart is all inclusive, but only a sampling of bands.

Welcome to the HoM board.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 3:52 pm

I like Dunn's stuff but my favorite metal evolution charting will always be Fenriz's from the extras of Until The Light Takes Us. Entertaining and informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk30A13PnfY
Back to top Go down
Rocked&Rolled
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 2

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 9:57 pm

I know you're not gonna fit everyone on the chart - but they're never included in the debate. And the way they're selling this show is a little deceiving if its not an all inclusive list. Because its spotlighting the evolution i.e., the bands that helped shape and evolve metal into what it is now.

For once it would be nice if a mainstream outlet like VH1/MTV, etc would actually acknowledge them, even if the members shy away from publicity. Just seems like they never get the credit they deserve...
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Rocked&Rolled wrote:
I know you're not gonna fit everyone on the chart - but they're never included in the debate. And the way they're selling this show is a little deceiving if its not an all inclusive list. Because its spotlighting the evolution i.e., the bands that helped shape and evolve metal into what it is now.

For once it would be nice if a mainstream outlet like VH1/MTV, etc would actually acknowledge them, even if the members shy away from publicity. Just seems like they never get the credit they deserve...

When VH1 did their hundred greatest hard rock countdown, they were number 80 somthing, thought it was cool they got the nod.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
maper74
Metal novice
Metal novice
maper74

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 8:14 am

So Metalcore, Crossover Thrash and Groove Metal are all called Metalcore now? I did not know that Razz
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 9:36 am

I am sure Tool will get mentioned.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 3:36 pm

I am gonna try and enjoy the show for what it is......entertainment ! Gonna ignore any charts and graphs, that stuff is pointless (IMHO)

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 5:34 pm

James B. wrote:
I am gonna try and enjoy the show for what it is......entertainment ! Gonna ignore any charts and graphs, that stuff is pointless (IMHO)

That's the way I look at it. If it entertains me for a few hours, I'm happy. Of course I can always voice my displeasures over it right here if it doesn't. VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 308838

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 5:56 pm

Required Fields wrote:
And how is Opeth a gothic metal band?

I just double-checked the part in the original documentary showing the subgenres and Opeth is clearly not listed under the goth metal section (they're not under death metal either).

Edit: Actually, if there's something that irks me about charts like that, it's not so much regarding where certain bands are "supposed" to go but it's the tendency to retroactively define older bands as one thing or another. No one in the 70s and 80s was calling Dio, Scorpions, or Judas Priest "power metal". They were just straight-on heavy metal acts.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 8:09 am

sheets wrote:
Required Fields wrote:
And how is Opeth a gothic metal band?

Edit: Actually, if there's something that irks me about charts like that, it's not so much regarding where certain bands are "supposed" to go but it's the tendency to retroactively define older bands as one thing or another. No one in the 70s and 80s was calling Dio, Scorpions, or Judas Priest "power metal". They were just straight-on heavy metal acts.

I blame the inter-web thingy for all this....

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 2:50 pm

What bands that may not be metal, we will call them proto type metal bands be included, IMO The Yardbirds, the Kinks and Jimi Hendrix should be mentioned, anyone else?
Back to top Go down
sheets
Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Blue Cheer
Maybe Link Wray, depending on if they want go back that far (he was billing himself as the "Grandfather of Heavy Metal" late in his career).

Maybe the Beatles, if only for Helter Skelter?
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 1:57 am

Yardbirds for sure helped start heavy metal.
They were one of the first bands slightly using heavy fuzz/ distortion in the way all metalheads would come to expect as standard, until that Hendrix guy came along and had amps that went to eleven.

Clapton was not amused.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 am

I would most definitley include Blue Cheer and I would also include Jeff Beck for the first two Jeff Beck albums 'Truth' and 'Beck-Ola'
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 9:54 am

Iro Butterfly.....In 68', "in a gadda da vida" was pretty heavy (IMHO)

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am

Hopefully some of Nigel Tufnel and David St. Hubbins' pre-Spinal Tap bands (The Originals, the New Originals, the Thamesmen, etc.) will get some props.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 01, 2011 11:36 am

Quote :
Maybe Link Wray, depending on if they want go back that far (he was billing himself as the "Grandfather of Heavy Metal" late in his career).

Along with Dick Dale and allot of those old surf rock guitar guys, like the Sufaris and the Ventures.

I've read stuff where their sweep picking technique to play so fast was a precursor to the way thrash rhythm guitar was played.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 12:21 am

I'm a little pissed they skipped over Blue Oyster Cult, but the first two episodes were pretty good otherwise
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VH1 Classic Metal Evolution   VH1 Classic Metal Evolution - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VH1 Classic Metal Evolution
Page 2 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next