Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Journey - Eclipse

Go down 
+21
Wargod
SAHB Healer
nevermore
krokus
SpectreFate
A Handful of Wayne
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Metal Misfit
Fat Freddy
James B.
DeathCult
Shawn Of Fire
manny
exact33
chewie
thejokeriv
speed101
Troublezone
Eyesore
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm

exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
exact33 wrote:
TheNazgul wrote:
How does Wal Mart do that? They carry like 10 albums total anymore but they keep getting these exclusives. I kind of hate it.

the power of distribution. I would imagine if not for walmart, it would be a Frontiers release which really cuts down on the distribution.

It'll be Frontiers in Europe. Walmart yielded them a platinum album, so it makes sense for them to keep that up in the US. The store-exclusive marketing is a great idea for established bands.

I guess what I meant was if it wasnt walmart in the US, it would be an import from Frontiers which would not have the distribution like Walmart does.

The store exclusive is a great idea plus it keeps the cost of the cd down.

I get what you mean.

I say, why should I have to buy an expensive import from a band that has been around 30 yrs. and records and lives about 100 miles from me? Smile
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:48 pm

When is this new US distro deal for Frontiers go into effect? Or is it already? Because the latest Ten album is $18.99 around here. The last 2CD live disc from Tesla...$27.99. So lame.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 3:05 pm

Man, this sounds great!

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:30 pm

Frontiers will only introduce certain titles into America...for instance, the new Whitesnake is $10 at Walmart right now...also, they probably won't back track, but only offer titles that come after the start date.

But then stores/distros have to choose to carry the individual titles...just because something is available doesn't mean a store or distro will choose to stock it.

What you're seeing are most likely titles that either A) pre-date the deal or B) aren't part of America's distro deal...

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Speaking of Journey, I saw part of their "Live in Manila" concert on VH1 Classic a couple of nights ago. I'm a casual Journey fan at best but DAMN I gotta admit that Arnel dude has got the Steve Perry voice down pat. If I closed my eyes, the only thing that gave away the fact that it wasn't Perry was when he spoke to the audience with his heavy accent. ("Herro Manirra! This one called Wheer in the Sky!") Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Frontiers will only introduce certain titles into America...for instance, the new Whitesnake is $10 at Walmart right now...also, they probably won't back track, but only offer titles that come after the start date.

But then stores/distros have to choose to carry the individual titles...just because something is available doesn't mean a store or distro will choose to stock it.

What you're seeing are most likely titles that either A) pre-date the deal or B) aren't part of America's distro deal...
Well, I know the Tesla disc pre-dates it. That price tag is absurd anyway you slice it, though. Haha. I thought the Ten disc was new enough.

Either way, I hope to see lower prices of forthcoming discs. Newbury Comics carries a lot of their titles.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Speaking of Journey, I saw part of their "Live in Manila" concert on VH1 Classic a couple of nights ago. I'm a casual Journey fan at best but DAMN I gotta admit that Arnel dude has got the Steve Perry voice down pat. If I closed my eyes, the only thing that gave away the fact that it wasn't Perry was when he spoke to the audience with his heavy accent. ("Herro Manirra! This one called Wheer in the Sky!") Very Happy
lol!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Well, I know the Tesla disc pre-dates it. That price tag is absurd anyway you slice it, though. Haha. I thought the Ten disc was new enough.

Either way, I hope to see lower prices of forthcoming discs. Newbury Comics carries a lot of their titles.

Depends on their source...if they don't get titles from whatever distro gets Frontiers stuff domestically, then they're technically imports (like the Tesla) and will be expensive...but if they get from whatever distro carries Frontiers domestically, they'll be cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 1:08 pm

A couple weeks back, I finally broke down and bought Revelation. My only exposure to it prior was my friend's copy (he bought it because of Neal) which I borrowed and tried to get into when it first came out.

I liked the music immediately. But, taking nothing away from his obvious talent, I just couldn't latch on to Arnel's vibe. I was a big fan of the Augeri era and still am. I saw them live with him twice (98 and 99) and they were brilliant both times.

I still counted Journey in my Top 5 favorite bands ever so I would periodically revisit the idea of Revelation...YouTube mostly...listening to songs. I would never quite get to the point of "pulling the trigger" and buying the album.

Anyway, I bought it finally...don't know what came over me...haha! I was in Walmart and just grabbed it without thinking too deeply about it, paid for it and left. I've spun it a few times in its entirety and while I can't say it's my favorite or anything, it's growing on me. Arnel is very, very talented...but I am still warming up to his particular vibe. I can't even explain it. He's got the range and the power and sings beautifully...I can't really nail down what I mean by "vibe", but I know it when I feel it. Still, there's no denying the songs are great.

So, there...on the eve of Eclipse being released, I finally buy the album that came out 3 years ago...haha!

I'll let you all know what I think about Eclipse sometime in 2015...

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Augeri is very good but Arnel is better live I think, based on the 2 live Journey DVDs I own from each respective era.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Augeri is very good but Arnel is better live I think, based on the 2 live Journey DVDs I own from each respective era.

I have to agree with ToB, Arnell is better performer and vocalist live
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 2:19 pm

I saw Augeri live for myself in 98 (his first tour) and 99 (his second) and he was dead, spot on in every way...every note.

Arnel carries his notes longer at times, but Augeri had style and vibe that Arnel, thus far to my ears, doesn't have...as good as he is.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 3:08 pm

BTW why was Augeri let go anyway, I heard his voice was not holding out live (over use from touring), I can see why Jeff Scott Soto did not work out but why did they let Augeri go?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 3:30 pm

manny wrote:
BTW why was Augeri let go anyway, I heard his voice was not holding out live (over use from touring), I can see why Jeff Scott Soto did not work out but why did they let Augeri go?

Lots of mystery about that. Steve was hospitalized with a chronic throat infection. He and the band knew he was bad off, but rather than take a break they soldiered on with vocal tracks (the live versions from the Las Vegas 2000 DVD)...this is also when Deen started singing...then one night in Raleigh in 2006 his voice just stopped working altogether. Deen stepped in on a few songs and they packed it in. 2 days later, Soto was in tow and they went on. By the time the tour was over, Augeri was no longer on injured reserve...he was cut.

I think that "tape gate" (which the band vehemently denies but has been proven) coupled with Augeri's questionable status led them to the decision, honestly. They toured almost constantly for 8 years with Augeri...just as long as with Perry...that catalog is a beast for anyone to try and handle.

They tune down a half-step live with Arnel, I believe...that'll help him...but I hope they learned their lesson and will take breaks.

I've exchanged emails with Augeri about other things...but have never had the nerve to actually ask him...we don't know each other well enough.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 3:49 pm

If Arnel can't handle the touring schedule they'll boot him too. The money is in the shows and they will keep that flowing at all costs.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
If Arnel can't handle the touring schedule they'll boot him too. The money is in the shows and they will keep that flowing at all costs.

Maybe but you can't just keep replacing singers, also there are not tons of vocalist who could do that catalog justice
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
A couple weeks back, I finally broke down and bought Revelation. My only exposure to it prior was my friend's copy (he bought it because of Neal) which I borrowed and tried to get into when it first came out.

I liked the music immediately. But, taking nothing away from his obvious talent, I just couldn't latch on to Arnel's vibe. I was a big fan of the Augeri era and still am. I saw them live with him twice (98 and 99) and they were brilliant both times.

I still counted Journey in my Top 5 favorite bands ever so I would periodically revisit the idea of Revelation...YouTube mostly...listening to songs. I would never quite get to the point of "pulling the trigger" and buying the album.

Anyway, I bought it finally...don't know what came over me...haha! I was in Walmart and just grabbed it without thinking too deeply about it, paid for it and left. I've spun it a few times in its entirety and while I can't say it's my favorite or anything, it's growing on me. Arnel is very, very talented...but I am still warming up to his particular vibe. I can't even explain it. He's got the range and the power and sings beautifully...I can't really nail down what I mean by "vibe", but I know it when I feel it. Still, there's no denying the songs are great.

So, there...on the eve of Eclipse being released, I finally buy the album that came out 3 years ago...haha!

I'll let you all know what I think about Eclipse sometime in 2015...
Maybe it's a subtle thing. His accent is there when he's singing, but it's almost imperceptible.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 11:18 pm

manny wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Maybe but you can't just keep replacing singers, also there are not tons of vocalist who could do that catalog justice

they should have hired Shawn - of course toho would have never talked to him again!!

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:14 am

I would not have lasted 2 weeks on a Journey tour! Ha!!

I so wish they would have taken a few months off after Soto helped them finish the tour and given Augeri time to get back on his game (which he now has)...I always hoped they'd find commercial success again with Augeri, but alas aside from touring they did not. It would have been awesome if Arrival had got the Platinum stamp that Revelation did...

And I agree...if Arnel can't cut it in the long run they'll cut him. But by that time Cain & Valory will be well over 60 and probably ready to stop anyway. I have heard rumors that this is Cain's last go-round...he's going to retire from the road and push his oldest daughter's Nashville career...but that's just a rumor.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:33 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I so wish they would have taken a few months off after Soto helped them finish the tour and given Augeri time to get back on his game (which he now has)...I always hoped they'd find commercial success again with Augeri, but alas aside from touring they did not. It would have been awesome if Arrival had got the Platinum stamp that Revelation did...

And I agree...if Arnel can't cut it in the long run they'll cut him. But by that time Cain & Valory will be well over 60 and probably ready to stop anyway. I have heard rumors that this is Cain's last go-round...he's going to retire from the road and push his oldest daughter's Nashville career...but that's just a rumor.

If the Rolling Stones who are planning a tour for next year when both Jagger and Richards will be 69, and Charlie Watts will be 71, then I am sure Journey can continue for a bit longer, I am sure their lifestyle was and is healthier then Jagger and Richards!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

If the Rolling Stones who are planning a tour for next year when both Jagger and Richards will be 69, and Charlie Watts will be 71, then I am sure Journey can continue for a bit longer, I am sure their lifestyle was and is healthier then Jagger and Richards!

I hate the Rolling Stones now...for no other reason than they have set a precedent that rock bands can keep touring into their 70s...damn them.

lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I hate the Rolling Stones now...for no other reason than they have set a precedent that rock bands can keep touring into their 70s...damn them.

lol!

I remember I saw them in 1989, Jagger at that point was a young lad of 47-48, and thinking I am glad to be seeing this, since they will be calling it a day anyday now and here they are still going!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:48 am

manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
manny wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

lol!

I remember I saw them in 1989, Jagger at that point was a young lad of 47-48, and thinking I am glad to be seeing this, since they will be calling it a day anyday now and here they are still going!

They're the "go to" example for older rock bands now..."if the Stones can still do it...". I hate when bands say that...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 am

I hate it to, IMO the Rolling Stones are their own institution, doubt any band will be able to duplicate their career.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 am

How long ago was the Stones' "Steel Wheels" tour? It was quite a ways back but even then I remember seeing parody t-shirts calling it the "Steel Wheelchairs" tour. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Journey - Eclipse   Journey - Eclipse - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Journey - Eclipse
Page 2 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next