Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Official Band Bashing Thread

Go down 
+42
Lionheartâ„¢
Eyesore
spiritoradio
Required Fields
Lurideath
Grimmo
SlaytanicPOWER
JDC
Pantera
Fat Freddy
rattpoison
XYZ
Lari
Stender
mc666
7thSaviour
Sword Of The Heretic
Dave the Boss
exact33
Addy
Rex
Hamer12
Vexer6
akeldama
Metallic Blaze
FlyingV
Mglaffas81
Schbopo
Troublezone
Orion Crystal Ice
Glenn Rogers
MetalRob331
Getizzyback
Thrasher73
ultmetal
snooloui
Temple of Blood
T-Roy
thejokeriv
manny
tohostudios
46 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:44 pm

manny wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
I think the music nowadays has so much more to offer and the musicians are just so more talented.

More talented like computerized, emotionless machines. The 70's defined emotion in guitar playing... shred is mostly a cold machine like medium (even though i like it)...

Do yourself a favor and go listen to some Uli Jon Roth.

Emotionless? ARe you kidding yourself? The 70's defined it I will agree with because thats when we got some of the greatest guitar players.

The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Cotton

Good call Manny! There is some major earwax build up going on...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:45 pm

Fleetwood Crap I mean Mac is another band I cant seem to find any songs I like. I dont hate them but I do think they suck...
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:46 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Fleetwood Crap I mean Mac is another band I cant seem to find any songs I like. I dont hate them but I do think they suck...

I used to say the same thing but over the years I've come to enjoy them. Especially Rumours; that's a rock classic.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:48 pm

I have an issue with the common 'emotion' argument/discussion. I'm tired of and frankly suspicious of, the idea that slower = more emotion, and the opposite. I have a whole spectrum of emotions. I DON'T ALWAYS feel or share the mood typically put across by 'emotional' players. It's just a small piece in a huge pool. There are tons of things to say with guitar, with music, and that's why I own so much and such a varied amount of it. The emotional thing is also too closely connected with certain irritating aspects of gender roles, which help to destroy the entire idea of a gender role because of one ridiculous part, and the whole thing is poisonous.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:50 pm

tohostudios wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

I used to say the same thing but over the years I've come to enjoy them. Especially Rumours; that's a rock classic.

Same here, used to hate 'em but as I grew older my musical tastes expanded.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Quote :
The blues is also a form of music to display emotion. There is a big difference there. I dont want to hear a bluesy solo in an all out metal song, it would make no sense. I dont like shred as much as you think I do, it bores me often. My point is I want to see people play there instrument if they can and slow it down when needed. Everything doesnt have to be emotional.

I can agree with that but i feel that the modern players do not best represent that way of thinking. To me Jeff Loomis is an awesome guitarist but he is lacking something in the emotion dept. Dimebag was one of the only players from modern times that had real feeling in his playing like the solo from Cemetary Gates...
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I have an issue with the common 'emotion' argument/discussion. I'm tired of and frankly suspicious of, the idea that slower = more emotion, and the opposite. I have a whole spectrum of emotions. I DON'T ALWAYS feel or share the mood typically put across by 'emotional' players. It's just a small piece in a huge pool. There are tons of things to say with guitar, with music, and that's why I own so much and such a varied amount of it. The emotional thing is also too closely connected with certain irritating aspects of gender roles, which help to destroy the entire idea of a gender role because of one ridiculous part, and the whole thing is poisonous.

I agree 100% bending an A up a full step means the guitar player is crying bit is a joke.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :
The blues is also a form of music to display emotion. There is a big difference there. I dont want to hear a bluesy solo in an all out metal song, it would make no sense. I dont like shred as much as you think I do, it bores me often. My point is I want to see people play there instrument if they can and slow it down when needed. Everything doesnt have to be emotional.

I can agree with that but i feel that the modern players do not best represent that way of thinking. To me Jeff Loomis is an awesome guitarist but he is lacking something in the emotion dept. Dimebag was one of the only players from modern times that had real feeling in his playing like the solo from Cemetary Gates...

Trouble, Trouble, Trouble, dig deeper my friend Gus G. has some killer solos that drip. Jeff Loomis is actually a real emotional player to my ear, he just does it in a more technical way. Jorn Lofstad is a personal fav along with Mark Tremonti. Those guys dont make a solo that doesnt grab my heart...

Dimebag was amazing but after a while he experimented a lot more with his pedals and lost a lot of that emotion. I know John Petrucci gets overlooked because he is so technical but he also displays amazing melody even at 200 BPM..

Nils Norberg previously of Nocturnal Rites was so creative and original and still made memorable solos.

Synyster Gates from A7X is like a mix between Dimebag and Slash some very tasty solos in there.

Rich Howard who perfromed on the Threat Signal album Under Reprisal has some amazing melody in his solos and is very insanely underrated IMO.

Michael Amott of Arch Enemy is another who blows me away with not only feel but emotion..

They are out there its just a matter of them maybe being in not so great bands?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:19 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Trouble, Trouble, Trouble, dig deeper my friend Gus G. has some killer solos that drip. Jeff Loomis is actually a real emotional player to my ear, he just does it in a more technical way. Jorn Lofstad is a personal fav along with Mark Tremonti. Those guys dont make a solo that doesnt grab my heart...

Dimebag was amazing but after a while he experimented a lot more with his pedals and lost a lot of that emotion. I know John Petrucci gets overlooked because he is so technical but he also displays amazing melody even at 200 BPM..

Nils Norberg previously of Nocturnal Rites was so creative and original and still made memorable solos.

Synyster Gates from A7X is like a mix between Dimebag and Slash some very tasty solos in there.

Rich Howard who perfromed on the Threat Signal album Under Reprisal has some amazing melody in his solos and is very insanely underrated IMO.

Michael Amott of Arch Enemy is another who blows me away with not only feel but emotion..

I'm not denying that there are some good modern players... i just don't see them as better than the guys from the 70's or 80's. As far as Dimebag, i was referring to his work on CFH only.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:23 pm

I would name people I really dig too, like Jorn Viggo Lofstad, Andrea Cantarelli, Olaf Thorsen, Kai Hansen, Greg Massi, Tom Gilchier lots of people with a lot of personality coming through....but people will be all like..oohh, never heard of him...or ohh, don't like that band, or ohhh, not enough balladry to show TEH EMOTIONZZZZZZZZZZ *flicks lighter*
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:26 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

I'm not denying that there are some good modern players... i just don't see them as better than the guys from the 70's or 80's. As far as Dimebag, i was referring to his work on CFH only.

Yes Dimes leads did go downhill a little after that although Vulgar had some amazing ones.

The music nowadays is so different from the 70's and 80's though. Once players like VH and Yngwie came along kids wanted to be that next great guitar player so that played it until there hands fell off and thats why they become like robots sometimes.

Music back then was not nearly as complex as it is nowadays IMO. When a guitar player gets to be that good on the guitar they lose track of the melody sometimes and just try to be too technical IMO. Thats the best way I can put it.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:27 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I would name people I really dig too, like Jorn Viggo Lofstad, Andrea Cantarelli, Olaf Thorsen, Kai Hansen, Greg Massi, Tom Gilchier lots of people with a lot of personality coming through....but people will be all like..oohh, never heard of him...or ohh, don't like that band, or ohhh, not enough balladry to show TEH EMOTIONZZZZZZZZZZ *flicks lighter*

Some great names there and all have there own unique personalities.

Back on topic I hate the Dead.. Grateful Dead that is...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:28 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Yes Dimes leads did go downhill a little after that although Vulgar had some amazing ones.

The music nowadays is so different from the 70's and 80's though. Once players like VH and Yngwie came along kids wanted to be that next great guitar player so that played it until there hands fell off and thats why they become like robots sometimes.

Music back then was not nearly as complex as it is nowadays IMO. When a guitar player gets to be that good on the guitar they lose track of the melody sometimes and just try to be too technical IMO. Thats the best way I can put it.

Try harder.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:30 pm

personally im waiting for this thread to implode but since Im gonna post this one time to it Im gonna give shouts of dislike to the following.......

KINGS X- THEY ARE SO NOTHING SPECIAL AT ALL GOD I CANT STAND THEM!!!!!!!!! Id rather be kicked in the sack than listen to them

IRON MAIDEN- would probobly be low on my dislike list because I havent fully given this band a chance but still a bit overhyped IMO

JUDAS PRIEST- They would be # 1 on my Dislike list, I cannot stand Halford's voice!!!!!! the only song they did I even remotely like is Breakin the Law Definitly dont like this band

LED ZEPPLIN- Nothing special IMO
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:38 pm

Quote :
Music back then was not nearly as complex as it is nowadays IMO.

Glad you said IMO... because you have no idea how many Jazz musicians crap all over the so-called tech players of today.

Shawn Lane for example would demolish just about any modern shredder in the speed dept. But he also was is Black Oak Arkansas playing old fashion rock with feeling.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:42 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Glad you said IMO... because you have no idea how many Jazz musicians crap all over the so-called tech players of today.

Shawn Lane for example would demolish just about any modern shredder in the speed dept. But he also was is Black Oak Arkansas playing old fashion rock with feeling.

Shawn Lane was amazing wasnt he? I was never one to agree that jazz musicians were the most talented because frankly I just dont hear it. They are amazing indeed and I will give them there props...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:44 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Shawn Lane was amazing wasnt he? I was never one to agree that jazz musicians were the most talented because frankly I just dont hear it. They are amazing indeed and I will give them there props...

Jazz players may not sound appealing to your ears but the complexity in their style is undeniable.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Troublezone wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Jazz players may not sound appealing to your ears but the complexity in their style is undeniable.

AGREE...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:56 pm

noo, thread cannot implode. thread is great.

Jazz guitar is a wonderful, wonderful thing. Of course, I like it very plugged and guitar-ful a'la Pat Matheny, but you know.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 5:57 pm

Addy wrote:
personally im waiting for this thread to implode but since Im gonna post this one time to it Im gonna give shouts of dislike to the following.......

KINGS X- THEY ARE SO NOTHING SPECIAL AT ALL GOD I CANT STAND THEM!!!!!!!!! Id rather be kicked in the sack than listen to them

IRON MAIDEN- would probobly be low on my dislike list because I havent fully given this band a chance but still a bit overhyped IMO

JUDAS PRIEST- They would be # 1 on my Dislike list, I cannot stand Halford's voice!!!!!! the only song they did I even remotely like is Breakin the Law Definitly dont like this band

lol!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Pantera also sux as does Damageplan.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 6:11 pm

akeldama wrote:
Pantera also sux as does Damageplan.

I agree with Damageplan but i have always liked Pantera's CFH album.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 6:33 pm

I wish I could contribute more...I guess I just like more stuff than y'all. The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Addy wrote:

not only 'nothing special' but also extremely overrated.

Dave the Boss
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 01, 2010 7:23 pm

The only band I can think of right now is Creed. Generally I'm not a hateful person towards anything or anyone, but I absolutely HATE Creed. Although I have a rather strong dislike for German "emo" kids Tokio Hotel as well (ever heard of them over in the US?).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official Band Bashing Thread   The Official Band Bashing Thread - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Official Band Bashing Thread
Page 8 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13 ... 18  Next