Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

the official OPETH thread

Go down 
+29
MetalRob331
glassprison
onrypt
Thelemech
journeyman
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
Orion Crystal Ice
corplhicks
Wurthless
Wayne
thejokeriv
Rex
Eyesore
Jesusandmetal23
MetalGuy71
Joe
troublemagnet
The_Jayroh
nevermore
DallasBlack
Approval Guy
Doomdance
Shawn Of Fire
Tur-Thalion
QuothTheRaven
shamgar75
Gilbert
Sutekh
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

the official OPETH thread Empty
PostSubject: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 1:07 am

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=158656

\'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 10:37 am

I'm ecstatic to the point of idiocy over this new album. I'm SO glad that Steven Wilson is mixing the album, he understands this band better than anyone.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 3:02 am

Interesting.
Back to top Go down
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeSat May 28, 2011 10:21 pm

Sounds good to me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeSun May 29, 2011 11:53 am

At this point, I'm pretty much an Akerfeldt/Opeth fanboy, so this will be a pre-order for me. No surprise they are working with Steven Wilson since Akerfeldt and he are collaborating on a project due in the fall (Storm Corrosion). I liked the progressive direction that Watershed took, but that influence has been there since Orchid. Love this band.
Back to top Go down
Tur-Thalion
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Tur-Thalion

Number of posts : 350

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeMon May 30, 2011 8:19 pm

Awesome news. I'm really excited to get this album
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:25 am

QuothTheRaven wrote:
At this point, I'm pretty much an Akerfeldt/Opeth fanboy, so this will be a pre-order for me. No surprise they are working with Steven Wilson since Akerfeldt and he are collaborating on a project due in the fall (Storm Corrosion). I liked the progressive direction that Watershed took, but that influence has been there since Orchid. Love this band.

Yeah, Steven Wilson has been involved with Opeth since Blackwater Park, I believe...they're a great team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:01 am

Blackwater Park was the first album that Wilson produced for them (and also played a variety of instruments on, and sang co-lead vocals on Bleak).

Steven Wilson heard a copy of Opeth's Still Life album and was impressed enough to email Mikael and let him know how much he liked it. In one of those life coincidences that sometimes work out, Mikael was a huge Porcupine Tree fan and asked Wilson to produce the next record. THey've been working together on and off ever since when their schedules permit.

They have both stated in interviews that their teaming up has helped both bands. Porcupine Tree got alot heavier once Wilson started working for Opeth, on the opposite end of the spectrum, Wilson helped develop Mikael into a first-rate vocalist and extended the sonic palette that Opeth was using by an impressive degree.

Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 2:25 pm

the official OPETH thread Opethheritage

I absolutly love this cover!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Approval Guy
Metal novice
Metal novice
Approval Guy

Number of posts : 74

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:37 pm

Very cool cover art, lets hope the music lives up to it!
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 12:12 am

Wow -very Hieronymous Bosch!
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 02, 2011 4:27 pm

For some reason the last Opeth offering didn't do much for me but I will probably buy this one because it's Opeth.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25801

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2011 12:43 pm

I'm looking forward to this! Plus I'm looking forward to their upcoming US tour with Katatonia. the official OPETH thread 11840
Back to top Go down
Doomdance
Metal student
Metal student
Doomdance

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:21 am

Heritage will signal a departure for Opeth from the musical style of their past albums; most notably, there will be no death growls, which have been present on every album except Damnation. Unlike Damnation, however, the music will have a prominent fusion influence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: the official OPETH thread (fall US tour dates & album cover posted)   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 12:44 pm

US dates for the "HERITAGE" tour, opening act will be Katatonia.

SEPTEMBER 2011

19th - The Palladium, Worcester, MA - USA
20th - Webster Theater, Hartford, CT - USA
21st - Webster Hall, New York, NY - USA
22nd - Webster Hall, New York, NY - USA
23rd - Trocadero, Philadelphia, PA - USA
26th - Newport Music Hall, Columbus, OH - USA
27th - Expo Five, Louisville, KY - USA
28th - Cannery Ballroom, Nashville, TN - USA
29th - Amos' Southend, Charlotte, NC - USA
30th - Center Stage, Atlanta, GA - USA

OCTOBER 2011

1st - House of Blues, Lake Buena Vista, FL - USA
3rd - Warehouse Live, Houston, TX - USA
4th - Stubb's Waller Creek Amphitheater, Austin, TX - USA
5th - Granada Theater, Dallas, TX - USA
6th - The Beaumont Club, Kansas City, MO - USA
7th - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN - USA
14th - Knitting Factory Concert House, Spokane, WA - USA
15th - Showbox SoDo, Seattle, WA - USA
16th - Roseland Theatre, Portland, OR - USA
18th - The Warfield, San Francisco, CA - USA
19th - Mayan Theatre, Los Angeles, CA - USA
20th - House of Blues, San Diego, CA - USA
21st - The Fox Theater, Pomona, CA - USA
22nd - Marquee Theatre, Tempe, AZ - USA
24th - The Complex, Salt Lake City, UT - USA
25th - Ogden Theatre, Denver, CO - USA
27th - The Rave, Milwaukee, WI - USA
28th - Vic Theatre, Chicago, IL - USA
29th - St. Andrews Hall, Detroit, MI - USA
31st - Mr Smalls Theatre, Millvale, PA - USA

NOVEMBER 2011
1st - Rams Head Live!, Baltimore, MD - USA

Last edited by detuned on Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 1:48 pm

"Heritage" album cover:
the official OPETH thread Heritage
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:25 pm

Awesome album art!!

Quote :
29th - Amos' Southend, Charlotte, NC - USA
Yeah!!!

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 5:45 pm

notice the joke...the "apple" falling from the tree is the keyboardist that has already been fired.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 2:39 am

There's a song on this album called Haxprocess. This should be interesting. For some reason I'm expecting this to be a let down at first, only to have the album grow on me. Change is welcome of course, as long as it's for the better.

They finally made an album with ten songs on it! I wonder if this means they put some interlude songs on this one like Patters in the Ivy.

Going to see this band in Atlanta on Sept 30!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 3:42 am

If I only buy 1 album for the remainder of the year, that's the one.

Fusion influence! the official OPETH thread 25679
Back to top Go down
The_Jayroh
Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 2:07 am

Quote :
30th - Center Stage, Atlanta, GA - USA

I'll be there.

Poor Per....going to join the other skull that fell off the tree....
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 8:29 am

What a great cover! I sure hope it's better than the last one. Watershed was such a disappointment compared to Ghost Reveries.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 am

Personally, I love Watershed. But that was also the first Opeth album I heard and the first one that made me go WHOAH!...then I worked my way backwards. I still love it just as much.

I love it when I discover a band when they already have 9 or so albums. It's really fun to listen to them in reverse order and see how the progression evolved in reverse.

right now, I've got a 3-way tie for "first place" on my favorite Opeth list. Ghost Reveries, Watershed & Deliverance. I'm hoping that "Heritage" helps break the tie.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:32 am

another side note, Opeth was as close to listening to death metal as I had ever gotten (not counting late 80's bands like Death, Obituary, etc),

I fell in love with the band for their progressive side, because that's my background, Prog Rock, Metal and Jazz.

Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2011 10:56 am

Shawn D. wrote:

I fell in love with the band for their progressive side, because that's my background, Prog Rock, Metal and Jazz.

Whatever happened to you checking out Enslaved?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the official OPETH thread   the official OPETH thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the official OPETH thread
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next