Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The female fronted metal thread

Go down 
+38
scottmitchell74
AchrisK
HMH87
EvyMetal
Jesusandmetal23
krokus
snooloui
Black Coffee
7thSaviour
Gilbert
metallicleora
Smindas
powermacho
Lari
Metalgiant
Eyesore
ghost
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
sheets
Thrasher73
tohostudios
James B.
JBall_Z
Shiney
Addy
Required Fields
DeathCult
Metallic Blaze
manny
A Handful of Wayne
mc666
Fat Freddy
Dave the Boss
Schbopo
Troublezone
Orion Crystal Ice
Wargod
42 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage

The female fronted metal thread Empty
PostSubject: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:47 am

First up Tristania:

Quote :
Tristania was formed at the end of 1996 by Morten Veland, Einar Moen and Kenneth Olsson from the remains of their previous band Uzi Suicide. Later, Anders H. Hidle and Vibeke Stene joined the band, along with bassist Rune Østerhus. In May 1997 their first EP, Tristania, was released. The same year Tristania released its first full length album, Widow's Weeds. A year later, following the Angina single, they recorded their second full length album, titled Beyond the Veil, which is thought by many fans to be not only the finest Tristania project but also the album which best represents the band's sound. The music is considered very atmospheric and full of deep melodic passion. Veland composed most of their works, wrote lyrics, played guitar and sang growling vocals. He was fired (according to his version of events) from the band after the release of Beyond the Veil due to what the remaining members refer to only as "musical and social differences".

In 2001 their third album, World of Glass was released. The absence of Veland was significant, and consequently this album was a departure from their previous sound. The growling vocals on this album were sung by Ronny Thorsen, a member of Trail of Tears, and the clean vocals were sung by Jan Kenneth Barkved and Østen Bergøy. Bergøy then joined the band as a permanent member, and so did Kjetil Ingebrethsen, who was in charge of singing death vocals.

The band's fourth album – Ashes (2005) – was the first of Tristania's albums on the SPV label after their contract with Napalm Records expired. The choirs are gone, as are the more challenging vocal parts reminiscent of World of Glass and Beyond the Veil. Hidle and Einar Moen add their vocals to certain tracks on the album. Two of the songs were actually written by the Tristania.com webmaster, Kjartan Hermansen ("Libre" and "Circus") while the song "The Wretched" is based on "Ascending: Descending" – a poem by Hermansen. Also on Ashes, the violins of Pete Johansen – which so often accompanied the previous Tristania albums – were replaced by the cello melodies of Hans Josef Groh. The album marked a lyrical and musical simplification of the band from the days of Morten Veland, more so than the first album without Veland, World of Glass.

The Ashes Tour in Europe (minus Einar Moen, who remained at home to work on more material for the band, but is still an active member) brought about another change for the band, the addition of a second guitarist – Svein Terje Solvang – who previously played with the band for touring purposes. His addition to the band as a permanent member in May 2005 marked the first time Tristania has had a two-guitarist team since Beyond the Veil.

In April 2006, Kjetil Ingebrethsen left Tristania to embark on a lower level musical career.

On February 27 2007, Vibeke Stene left the band to teach singing.

On October 19 2007, Italian singer Mariangela Demurtas (ex-Reel Fiction, Alight) was announced as the new female singer.

In May 2008, Svein Terje Solvang left the band.

On February 22 2009, Rune Østerhus left the band and Ole Vistnes is the new bassist

www.tristania.com
http://www.myspace.com/tristania

Anyone else love them?

Last edited by ChaliceOfFemmeMetal on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:52 am

I ahve heard them sparingly so really can't form an opinion on the band but I love female fronted metal.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:54 am

Oh my! I love female fronted metal too!!

Would anyone like some recommended Tristania songs/albums?
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 am

So what else are you into that is female fronted?

Wargod50
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:04 pm

Epica, Closterkeller, Pythia, The Sins Of Thy Beloved, Arkona, Midnattsol, Octavia Sperati, After Forever, The Gathering, ReVamp, Doro, Warlock, Draconian, Shape Of Despair, Depressed Mode, Artrosis, Darzamat, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil, Stealing The Bride, Edenbridge and loads more.

Do you know if there's a female fronted metal thread here? If not I'll make one Smile
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Old Dark Moor and Beautiful Sin is some stuff that is underrated IMO..barely anything in common aside from singer gender, but it fits here, so..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Hold up I'll chnage this threads title. Saves a job and a half Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 pm

As official HoM nit-picker, I'm going to get out of the way that some of those bands listed are female CO-fronted...

No Theatre Of Tragedy?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:09 pm

Theatre Of Tragedy are pretty good. I prefer the Nell era though! Storm is amazing Smile
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Chastain, old White Skull..Crystal Viper...HolyHell (saw them live)..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:17 pm

With a few exceptions, Chicks don't rock.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I like HolyHell but I don't know material from any of the others. Could you link me up some?
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:21 pm

I have about 85% of those bands on cd.

Wargod50

And chicks can rock with any males out there. Don't be so narrow minded! LOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:24 pm

Some chicks can rock harder than male. For example Alissa White -Gluz (The Agonist), Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy). Seriously they can put male vocalists to shame!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17064

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:28 pm

As long as they actually sing like a female i'm all for it but the ones that growl like a man... yuck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:29 pm

Sure, they can rock crappy metal genre's that I simply cannot stand. But you can have that stuff. I got no interest in Opera metal, goth, black, and 99% of power metal. What do ya have left after that? Doro? Like I said, a few exceptions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:30 pm

Alissa sings and growls Razz She is extremely talented. Also Maria from Arkona sings and growls but she does it in Russian!

Does anyone like Walls Of Jericho?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Wargod48 wrote:

And chicks can rock with any males out there.

This is a HILARIOUS statement!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:32 pm

Never have I come across that *is shocked*
What's wrong with women in metal seriously?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm

And you can hear the strain in the vocals when the females try to growl. It's amazing what they can do in the studio these days...
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Chicks know how to rock to each there own I say.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Sure. SAXON, you play these too The female fronted metal thread Icon_razz

Dark Moor - By The Strange Paths of Destiny

(weird video someone made, but best sound quality, just no need to watch)

'Halloween' cover..

White Skull - High Treason

Crystal Viper - The Fury

Chastain - Voice of the Cult

Beautiful Sin - Dis is not de original dream..

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:36 pm

Woohoo I started a chick war! We all can't like the same thing I like all forms of metal except black and death plain upper crap in my book just not my thing.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Pat Benatar rocks. Ann Wilson from Heart too... but in extreme metal it doesn't work for me.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Hell yeah all good vids here. I really love the Crystal Viper.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The female fronted metal thread   The female fronted metal thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The female fronted metal thread
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next