Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Empty
PostSubject: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 1:38 pm

(*NOTE* I coulda sworn I read a thread about this band around here previously, but the mighty Search Function showed nothing. If I am in error, I apologize...)

Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil 3236140976_a6e341777a_o

Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil 3236140780_b4ac741859_o

I've been getting e-mails from this Brazilian band for over a year now (not sure how, I assume they must've gotten my address thru Detritus 'zine) but until recently I hadn't been able to read any of'em because at first they were all written in Portuguese. Anyway, I finally got curious enough to check out their MySpace and liked what I heard. When I read that they had a female vocalist I was afraid they'd be one of those damned symphonic/operatic chick metal bands (of which there are far too many IMO) but I was pleased to find they're more traditionally minded. They're kinda like a Brazilian accented, slightly less crunchy version of the California band Benedictum (also fronted by a warrior woman). Pretty good stuff. Their new album is called DARE TO DREAM and it should be out at the end of April. Right now the whole album is streaming at their MySpace so check it out.

Link: http://www.myspace.com/shadowsideband

Video for the tune "Highlight":

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Well, this one went over like a lead balloon. Sad Anybody check this band out? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Shocked

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm

I missed this.

I'll have to check this out tonight. I'm intrigued by the Benedictum comparison.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:37 pm

BTW, I agree that there are too many female-fronted symphonic bands right now.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:45 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I'll have to check this out tonight. I'm intrigued by the Benedictum comparison.

They're not as straight up heavy as Benedictum but the vocalist does remind me of Veronica at times.

BTW thank you for validating my thread, Toho. Laughing

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:49 pm

I'm the king of creating unvalidated threads.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 4:06 pm

I stayed away from this thread due to "female fronted" but after checking it out Im surprised at how much like a guy this chick sounds.Not bad stuff at all
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 4:31 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
I stayed away from this thread due to "female fronted" but after checking it out Im surprised at how much like a guy this chick sounds.Not bad stuff at all

I was surprised myself, she hardly sounds like a chick. I actually prefer the female-fronted symphonic bands a lot more.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 4:43 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

I was surprised myself, she hardly sounds like a chick. I actually prefer the female-fronted symphonic bands a lot more.

Well, that backs up the Benedictum comparison then. Veronica Freeman sounds like Dio on their cover of Heaven and Hell and Udo on their cover of Balls To The Wall.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Well I listened to several songs and the only one that stuck out to me was "Nation Hollow Mind". I like the sound but the songs just don't stick with me for the most part.

Still, a band I'll keep my eye on.

PostSubject: Re: Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil   Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shadowside - female fronted power metal from Brazil
Page 1 of 1