Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal

Go down 
+3
Wargod
candlemass
manny
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Empty
PostSubject: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:05 pm

* PLEASE, CAN THIS BE A THREAD WHERE WE DISCUSS THE BAND/MUSIC THAT IS POSTED AND NOT ANOTHER THREAD WHERE PEOPLE JUST POST VIDEOS AND NOTHING MORE? *

It seems like Spec and I have a similar like/love for female-fronted bands like Veruca Salt. So I figured I'd make a thread about bands like that.

Today I got the full-length from All Ends. I've had their Wasted Life EP for a while now and love it, and have been meaning to post about them for a while now. Anyway, I first heard of the band because Bjorn and Jesper from In Flames started the band. There's two female vocalists (one is Bjorn's sister) that don't sound too dissimilar to each other, but it works. Their harmonizing is awesome!

Anyway, because of In Flames' busy schedule, Bjorn and Jesper are no longer part of the group, but the band carried on without them. I was able to get their EP through Amazon for about $11, and I just got the full-length through eBay for about $17. Well worth it, if you ask me. Here's some samples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJdK8Qe7y-0

🤘
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:06 pm

Here's another: Radiocraft.

I discovered this band through SwapaCD. I was just browsing the CDs that had been posted that day and saw their Red album posted. I looked them up and liked what I heard. So I requested the CD. I know think the band is awesome! I have one other disc by them, and I really dig both.

I love the vocalists voice, strong but a bit of the rough side. She reminds me of Anne Preven, the vocalist for the underrated Ednaswap. They're not too heavy, but there is an element of hard rock, blues, and modern rock mixed in. Great band!

I don't know a whole lot about them. They seem to have a decent following, but it seems local to where they're from. Check them out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct_4De0_fMU

Fantastic band!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 pm

And one of the biggest tragedies I've seen in the music business: Ednaswap.

I figure I'll post about them since I mentioned them above. Ednaswap was one of those bands that I pulled from the $2 bin at Nuggest waaaaaaay back in the day. I found their debut and I loved it. A bit poppy for me at the time, but there was something about it that I really liked.

The tragedy behind this band is that though they did have a major label deal, they went nowhere. Moreover, they had written a really good song called "Torn." The song was a clear hit, and the band obviously knew it. The song was first on their debut, then a different version showed up on the follow-up EP, then again, another version showed up on their second full-length. But the song was never even released as a single by the record company.

At some point, Scott Cutler and Anne Preven (a total cutie), the main songwriters, sold the song to Natalie Imbruglia, turned it into a dance pop song, and KABLAMO! A huge hit. What a kick to the teeth, huh? Not only that, neither Imbruglia or anyone associated with the new versionever acknowledged the true songwriters. Imbruglia often claimed that she wrote it.

Ednaswap went on to record one more album and then broke up. Another band was formed called Annetenna, but after one album they disappeared. Cutler and Preven were smart, though; they're now a songwriting team, having since penned hits for many other artists, including Madonna. Either way, at least they're getting paid now. Too bad Ednaswap went nowhere, because I thought they were excellent.

Here's some videos, starting with "Clown Show," my favorite song by them:

(the second, acoustic version of "Torn")

(the original version of "Torn")

(the third, stripped down electric version of "Torn")

There's not much more out there about them...
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 9:52 pm

Great stuff Eyesore, thanks for the intro on great bands, also another female fronted band I discovered is Panic Room, the album entitled " Visionary Position" is excellent prog rock and I am also a fan of Veruca Salt glad to see they just released their new album "IV"
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 pm

http://www.myspace.com/worldjackie

Thoughts.................?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 10:58 pm

Acid King

Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Lori_s_acid_king
Well, you definitely don't see too many doom bands being fronted by female vocalists...even less when they are also the lead guitarist. But this group is as heavy as you can possibly get, I have no idea how she is able to keep her guitar in tune that low. She's not a fantastic vocalist but she gets the job done.

Homepage: http://www.acidking.com/

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6981652
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 02, 2008 11:02 pm

detuned wrote:
Acid King

Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Lori_s_acid_king
Well, you definitely don't see too many doom bands being fronted by female vocalists...even less when they are also the lead guitarist. But this group is as heavy as you can possibly get, I have no idea how she is able to keep her guitar in tune that low. She's not a fantastic vocalist but she gets the job done.

Homepage: http://www.acidking.com/

MySpace: [url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6981652
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=6981652[/quote[/url]]

Acid King one of the best of the so called "stoner bands" , I actually don't mind her voice, good choice, bro.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2008 12:13 am

Bad choice. First off, I don't like them. I got Busse Woods a few months back expecting a classic. I sort of hated it. But who cares about that. This thread is about modern rock/metal bands, like the samples I posted. Basically, no doom, no stoner rock. Haha.

Here's another I'll post.

Anja.

A couple of guys from 40 Below Summer are in this band along with a girl named Anja. She's quite a songwriter. I have their Into The Light EP and it's excellent. Definitely leans more toward the radio rock side of things, but still really good.

Not much in that clip, so: http://www.myspace.com/anjamusic

And here's a song I've always loved:

That's Michal Towber. She released an album called Sky With Stars long ago. It was a weird mix of songs, spanning time from when she was like 12 to 20. So it played like a compilation of different artists. Only two songs were heavy, "Juliet's Refrain" (above) and another called "Free Dirt." Both are awesome tunes!

Her normal stuff is more piano-based, acoustic and jazzy. I wished she'd done more of the heavy stuff. =(

Big difference. But I still dig her.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 1:38 pm

Here is a female fronted band I came across a couple weeks ago, they are called Nail. Good stuff!

http://www.myspace.com/nailtheband

Wargod49
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 1:53 pm

I like those with just enough talent to get by and boobs. I'm not picky.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 2:31 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Bad choice. ...This thread is about modern rock/metal bands, like the samples I posted. Basically, no doom, no stoner rock. Haha.

I think you're being a little overly picky here, last time I checked something as heavy as Acid King is definitely METAL. Stoner is a meaningless term when it comes to describing music, Louis Armstrong smoked pot every day of his adult life...so are you telling me that Louis Armstrong would be classified as "Stoner"? I think not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 2:37 pm

detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Bad choice. ...This thread is about modern rock/metal bands, like the samples I posted. Basically, no doom, no stoner rock. Haha.

I think you're being a little overly picky here, last time I checked something as heavy as Acid King is definitely METAL. Stoner is a meaningless term when it comes to describing music, Louis Armstrong smoked pot every day of his adult life...so are you telling me that Louis Armstrong would be classified as "Stoner"? I think not.
Overly picky? I asked for something specific, Acid King is not that. Metal they might be, but they're not modern rock/metal. Are they like Veruca Salt?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 2:38 pm

spectrefate wrote:

That was god-awful.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 3:33 pm

I thought that was going to be Van Halen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Eyesore wrote:

That was god-awful.

Yeah I know. I love it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 5:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Overly picky? I asked for something specific, Acid King is not that. Metal they might be, but they're not modern rock/metal. Are they like Veruca Salt?

Okay, guess I got bit by genres again..."modern", as in current and just came out...like Veruca Salt who started around 1993 or so... surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 6:26 pm

detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Okay, guess I got bit by genres again..."modern", as in current and just came out...like Veruca Salt who started around 1993 or so... surprised
You're taking it literally. "Modern rock" is something of a made-up genre. Think alternative rock or metal. Stupid, I know, but I didn't make it up! Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 7:07 pm

Eyesore, You heard of "Exilia"?

http://www.exiliaweb.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVJu0O3YFv4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 7:11 pm

Another Modern All Female band is Vanilla Ninja

http://www.vanillaninja.ee/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 9:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:
detuned wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

You're taking it literally. "Modern rock" is something of a made-up genre. Think alternative rock or metal. Stupid, I know, but I didn't make it up! Haha.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. This is why labeling music with a thousand sub-genres makes me want to scream. Anyway, I'll bow out of this particular discussion since it's not exactly my cup of tea. Sorry for any thread derailment.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeSat Sep 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Is Sonic Youth considered modern?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:15 am

How about Slunt, cool little band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwyESDc2dZc
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 10:51 am

Eyesore wrote:
spectrefate wrote:

That was god-awful.

I agree, I watched the whole video too. It's better if you turn the sound off
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 11:46 am

manny wrote:
How about Slunt, cool little band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwyESDc2dZc
Great band, but they more hard rock/sleaze. And that singer...whoooo!

By the way, Spec, did you listen to All Ends?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 12:35 pm

Yeah All Ends is good. A little too modern for my present taste though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal   Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Female-Fronted Modern Rock/Metal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next