Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Halford to release a new solo album.

Go down 
+24
Cliffy
Gilbert
mez
JBall_Z
Rex
GrandNational
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
metalinmyveins
DeathCult
Troublezone
Leatherface
Metal Misfit
mc666
exact33
the sentinel
sam
metalken
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Metallic Blaze
manny
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:44 pm

The samples aren't working for me. I'll get it though, if anything for the novelty. I like Christmas music that is not the boring old traditional stuff so this is right up my alley. Plus anything involving Roy Z is golden IMO.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 10:53 am

I like what I've heard so far, so while it's not a priority, I'll pick this up at some point. I like "non-traditional" takes on Christmas music. Beats hearing Gene Autry's Rudolf the Red-Nose Raindeer 50,000 times.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:12 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I like what I've heard so far, so while it's not a priority, I'll pick this up at some point. I like "non-traditional" takes on Christmas music. Beats hearing Gene Autry's Rudolf the Red-Nose Raindeer 50,000 times.

I wonder if there might be a metal version of that Christmas song with all the dogs barking???

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:53 pm

exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I wonder if there might be a metal version of that Christmas song with all the dogs barking???

If there isn't, there should be. I'd buy that one too.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:28 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

If there isn't, there should be. I'd buy that one too.

heh! Maybe we could do that for a song as a group on HoM. Those with talent could play the music and the less talented could bark Smile

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2009 1:20 pm

In case anyone's interested, you can download one song from Halford's WINTER SONGS ("Christmas For Everyone") for free from his official site:

http://www.robhalford.com/

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2009 6:32 pm

I saw this in a store today. I looked at it I dont think I can get myself to buy it. I like christmas music but only the oldies.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
In case anyone's interested, you can download one song from Halford's WINTER SONGS ("Christmas For Everyone") for free from his official site:

http://www.robhalford.com/

I just listened to the freebie track that I downloaded from Rob's site... and immediately wish I hadn't.

Um...wow, I don't know if the whole album sounds like this, but this track is just bad. REAL bad. Embarrassingly bad. I'm talking new Lita Ford album bad.

Seriously,
even though it IS free, don't bother downloading this song. Please. I'm
embarrassed for having listened to it.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 9:53 pm

"Christmas For Everyone" is not a good representation of the album. It is indeed the worst song of the bunch (one of only four original songs, with "Get Into the Spirit" being the best of those).

I bought this today, and seriously, I'm loving it. If you're a fan of Christmas songs/Christmas rock, you'll like this album.

I understand "Christmas For Everyone" scaring people off though, so you should check out more samples if you can find them online, especially the cover tunes and "Get Into the Spirit" (which is HEAVY METAL).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 11:45 am

Now that I've heard it, I like it.

The renditions of the Christmas hymns ("O Come O Come Emmanuel", "What Child Is This?", "O Holy Night", etc) are actually pretty cool. "Get In The Spirit" is a bit strained, but sounds like HALFORD...
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 09, 2009 6:05 pm

I'm surprised Kiss hasn't tried to capitalize on a Christmas album.........yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 7:22 am

GrandNational wrote:

I can hear Gene now...

"Deck my yule log in your open fire!!"
Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Kiss_christmas_photo_poster_print-p228742187332102210qibk_210
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 9:35 am

Looked for it everywhere this weekend and couldn't find it.
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 10:26 am

I intend to buy this too. I'm a big Halford fan, but it's kind of funny. You know you're getting old when the artist you grew up with are releasing Christmas albums. It's like Rob Halford and Dee Snider are the Tony Bennett and Johnny Mathis of our generation. Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 604261
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 10:28 am

[quote="Shawn Of Fire"]
GrandNational wrote:

Shhhh... Gene might hear you.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 10:27 pm

It appears there's a special edition Japenese version with a bonus track entitled:

White Beard, Red Hat
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 12:50 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
GrandNational wrote:

I can hear Gene now...

"Deck my yule log in your open fire!!"
Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Kiss_christmas_photo_poster_print-p228742187332102210qibk_210

Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 201269
Back to top Go down
mez
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 6:32 am

Finally!! Got it in the mail and first spin is very impressive! Sure it is specific to a holiday but it still is hell bent on metal. Drop the worries and just enjoy Halford 3 for what it is.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 25, 2009 3:02 pm

DeathCult wrote:
It appears there's a special edition Japenese version with a bonus track entitled:

White Beard, Red Hat

Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 201269 How did I miss this joke? Good one!!

Anyway... one of my pals has WINTER SONGS and brought it up to my place this past weekend for me to check out. I'd say it was about 50% cool and 50% goofy. Halford's arrangements of the "traditional" olde timey hymns like "O Holy Night" and "O Come, O Come Emmanuel" worked a lot better than I expected. Those tracks are pretty good. However, the "original" tunes are a mixed bag. "Get into the Spirit" is a pretty decent rocker, but "Christmas For Everyone" is just flat-out awful, and "I Don't Care If It's Christmas Night" sounds like a bad attempt at one of those '60s pop (ala "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)") style holiday songs.

Unlike some other recent holiday rock releases, at least Rob didn't go over the top covering everything in glossy studio magic (like T.S.O. does) and he didn't try to go for the lowbrow humor aspect (like Twisted Sister did) either. It's a fairly classy sounding album. I will say that the production sounds a little thin to my ears, even the "heavier" songs (i.e. "Get Into The Spirit") are lacking the "crunch" that Halford's past solo albums had.

So WINTER SONGS may not be the greatest thing since sliced cheese, but not a complete bomb either. Whether or not you'll want to actually spend money on this CD (keeping in mind that it'll have zero replay value once the holiday season is over, so it will simply gather dust on your shelf till next December) depends on how much of a Halford fanboy you are, I guess.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 2:45 am

I just purrchased it. It's very good. Rob's vocals are awesome as usual. Although i wish he did not go for a seasonal album as this will probably be put on the shelves for good once Christmas is over.

I wonder: did Rob become a Christian?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 4:00 am

Gilbert wrote:

Now the question is, do we ever become a Christian, or are we always in the process of becoming one? Ok, philosophy aside, I listened to the samples at Amazon and it sounded decent to me. Made me wonder why that old-fart Ozzy never attempted to cash in on this.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 8:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Sounds a little weird but I'll check it out. Rob rarely disappoints.

This wouldn't be his first venture into Christmas music either. When he was in Fight they put out a holiday tune on a promo/fan club only CD single called "Christmas Ride"

Wow i didn't know that! Did this song ever get reissued ?

When he reissued all the Halford/Fight stuff on his own Metal God label a year or two ago I believe it was briefly available on his web site as a free download but I never checked it out.

Ask and ye shall receive!! Rob has added Fight's "Christmas Ride" to his web site as a free download for the "Black Friday Sale Weekend" -- it's only free thru Sunday the 29th. Check it out y'all

http://www.halfordmusic.com/content/static/index.html

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 10:06 am

Gilbert wrote:

Rob's always had a spiritual side to him. Back around the time Fight's first CD came out in the early 90s, he did one of those "What So-And-So Sez" interviews with Heaven's Metal magazine (the regular feature where they'd interview a "secular" artist about his religious views) and he went on about how he came from a religious family, had been brought up in the Church of England as a child, sung in church choirs when he was a kid, etc. I believe he even said flat out in the interview "I'm a Christian man."

And hey, now that I think about it, the original pressing of Fight's WAR OF WORDS had a hidden bonus track on it called "Jesus Saves."

Of course, that was a few years before he became open about his, ahem, "alternative lifestyle," so I don't know how reconciles that with his spiritual side nowadays but then that's a can of worms I don't really want to see (re)opened around here anyway. It's his biz and nobody else's.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 11:32 am

Of course, that was a few years before he became open about his, ahem, "alternative lifestyle," so I don't know how reconciles that with his spiritual side nowadays but then that's a can of worms I don't really want to see (re)opened around here anyway. It's his biz and nobody else's.[/quote]

I know it's his own biz. I'm just being curious...
Back to top Go down
Cliffy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Cliffy

Number of posts : 415

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 27, 2009 1:36 pm

I've got the album...like it a lot.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halford to release a new solo album.   Halford to release a new solo album. - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halford to release a new solo album.
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next