Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tom Keiffer to release a solo album

Go down 
+4
Dark Horseman
jettafiend
MetalGuy71
manny
8 posters
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Empty
PostSubject: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:32 am

Here is the press release, I am surprised he is not releasing it as a Cinderella album:

Singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist Tom Keifer is finally releasing his long-awaited and highly anticipated solo album in the Spring of 2013 after entering into a partnership with Merovee Records (a joint venture with Worldwide Pants, Inc.). The as-yet-untitled collection of 14 new songs ranges from intimate, organic, acoustic tracks to driving hard rock. It embraces the blues, rock and country roots that have always been present in his unique sound that has generated the sale of over 15 million records worldwide.

The upcoming release is a raw, introspective look at the roller coaster ride that has been Keifer’s life for the past 15 years. From being told that he would never sing again as a result of a partially paralyzed left vocal cord, to the emotional and personal battles that followed, his solo debut is a story of perseverance, a testament to the power of passion and will, when combined with a true love of music.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 10:54 am

I'd personally prefer a new Cinderella album, but if this is what we get instead, so be it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:43 am

SWEET!! This will be awesome!! I doubt that it will sound anything like Cinderella, but rather will highlight Tom's blues roots.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 11:56 am

I'll definitely check it out. Guy has talent.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I still have no idea why Cinderella have not released an album since the mid-90s. Yeah, I get that they tried and there was some legal stuff going on, but that only lasted a fraction of the 17 years it's been. These guys should be able to release 10 albums!

And if they don't have new material, go back and re-record some of the old demos.

Plenty of great songs among all those demos, and plenty of others that, with a little work, could be great.

But they don't want to release a new album. They keep saying they do, but come on...

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:15 pm

I wonder if they're afraid it won't be well received?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I wonder if they're afraid it won't be well received?

There's been plenty of far-inferior bands of that era that have put out new material since the hair metal glory days with some success. A new Cinderella disc would have to sell better than say, a re-united BulletBoys or Pretty Boy Floyd album, right?

I think Eyesore's on to something though. It would appear that they have the material and ability to release a new album, but for some reason, they are not.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:31 pm

If they're under contract to Sony, they're stuck. They could release an album under a different name, but there's no point in that.

But honestly, I don't know the real reason(s). Speculating that the legal issues w/ Sony/Portrait, Tom's health/throat issues, and perhaps at this point apathy all no doubt play a part. I can see and understand why some bands would not see the point in putting the work into an album of songs nobody (relatively) will care about? They can just keep touring the songs people already know.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:38 pm

You're probably right but if throat problems are part wouldn't touring be harder then studio singing?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
You're probably right but if throat problems are part wouldn't touring be harder then studio singing?

The throat thing was a while back...they didn't tour for a few years while he recovered. He's recovered well enough to sing live now. I'm not saying it's a factor now, but it could have been when it was happening. A long string of events happen over time, next thing you know, 10 years have gone by.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Legal red-tape would seem the most logical for not releasing a new Cinderella album, but I guess we'll never know. Perhaps Tom will do some promotion for his solo album and shed some light on the Cinder-situation.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:25 pm

The legal stuff is over and done with, I believe. But that wasn't 17 years' worth of legal battles. Then again, I think they broke up for a few years, then Tom had voice issues. But still...they've been touring the majority of those years.

I really think it's a lack of desire. I think Cinderella is together and tours for money and nothing else. That's the band's sole purpose these days.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
If they're under contract to Sony, they're stuck. They could release an album under a different name, but there's no point in that.

But honestly, I don't know the real reason(s). Speculating that the legal issues w/ Sony/Portrait, Tom's health/throat issues, and perhaps at this point apathy all no doubt play a part. I can see and understand why some bands would not see the point in putting the work into an album of songs nobody (relatively) will care about? They can just keep touring the songs people already know.

Cinderella featuring Tom Keiffer Razz

kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 7:32 pm

I had read several times that they were embroiled in legal issues with their record company with "no chance" of a Cinderella album ever being released. Supposedly the band owes the label a ton of money.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm

kethdredd wrote:
I had read several times that they were embroiled in legal issues with their record company with "no chance" of a Cinderella album ever being released. Supposedly the band owes the label a ton of money.
Every answer I've read from the band regarding a new album is full of a lot of nonsense. For instance...

Quote :
On whether there are plans to record a new CINDERELLA album:

Eric Brittingham: Not at this time. I know everyone's done their side projects ... . In the musical climate these days and the way we like to do things, it's not really worth doing it anymore. But that's not to say it won't happen; it may. I'm sure Tom [Keifer, vocals/guitar] has a couple hundred songs ready to go. Our last record cost $1.2 million to make and the cheapest record we've ever made was $400,000. You can't do that these days because no one even sells $400,000 worth of records, CDs or downloads. Everything's changed. Everyone makes records in their bedrooms basically for next to nothing and in my opinion, most of them sound like it. That's not what we're about.
Completely retarded.

Quote :
Metal Shrine: What about a new album then?

Tom: There's nothing on the horizon right now. We attempted that in '98 with Sony and [former A&R executive] John Kalodner and it turned into a big legal hassle and lawsuit, which prevented us from recording the material that they claimed they owned, for five years.

Metal Shrine: Wow!

Tom: Even though they didn't want to record it. It's typical in recording contracts. It's called re-record rights. Once they claim they own the songs, you can't re-record it for five years. They claimed ownership and decided not to make the record. It was like two years of writing and demos of material that we weren't allowed to record. Needless to say, we had a slightly bad taste in our mouth. We kind of recovered from that and got our heads back together and in the interim everyone was kind of working on their own projects and I started a solo record and Eric [Brittingham, bass] was doing something and everyone was doing their own thing. The band just continued to tour and we did two or three more tours after that and then the voice problems hit me in '06, so it's kind of been like one thing after another. And for, like, the last six, eight years, we just feel like we've been hanging on by our claws and the thing that just always works for us is touring. We go out and we tour and we have fun with our fans and then even that went away in '06 when that voice stuff came. We were off the road again for four years. Last year was kind of like starting over again and we went out to tour.

In terms of a new record, it's not that there's a lack of desire, it's just that we've had a lot pushing us down that we've been trying to crawl back from. The last four years before the tour last year, I think we were all just more worried whether we were even gonna be a band again, because the stuff with my voice was so serious that the future of the band was literally a question mark. Last year we were getting our legs and we're getting back on the road now, so… to answer the question of a new record, it would be great to do. I know it would have to be the right situation and a label who is really serious in making a great record and producing it right. You never know. We'll see if that opportunity pops up. I'm getting ready to put mine out, hopefully this year. I'm shopping for a deal right now. I wanna see that through and you'll never know what the future will hold, but we are certainly open to the idea.
Not quite as retarded, but to me, it just doesn't make sense. Not every fans goes to shows. Do something for all the fans. If not a new album, put together an EP of old, unreleased material. Do something!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 am

Live version of a solo track.

Really good tune.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 am

Not a bad tune, but I hope it's not a whole album of that. It would put me to sleep.

PostSubject: Re: Tom Keiffer to release a solo album   Tom Keiffer to release a solo album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tom Keiffer to release a solo album
Page 1 of 1