Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Megadeth album any good?

Go down 
+38
krokus
Gilbert
Blueflame5-
metalheaded
Mglaffas81
Schbopo
shamgar75
Temple of Blood
Svengo
DallasBlack
Metal Misfit
bgast1
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
nevermore
tohostudios
Thrasher73
kmorg
powermacho
INVADERS
the sentinel
XYZ
ramreb
DeathCult
Addy
akeldama
Lurideath
MetalFRO
exact33
Smindas
sam
sheets
Troublezone
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
stormspell
fingers
42 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:34 pm

Listened to it 3 more times today. Still making me happy.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Have yet to buy it, but I listened to the whole thing online and...meh. It's okay, but it sounds like Dave's trying too hard to get back to his thrashy side rather than just doing what he wants. Also, like XYZ pointed out, there's really not very much emotion involved. Some people said it was too close to United Abominations, but I would have loved that. I thought UA was one of the best Megadeth records, because it's heavy, has a lot of catchy melodies, and just sounds good all around. Endgame seems to kick up the heaviness but lose the catchiness and the melodic elements UA had.

I suppose I'll buy this, being the Deth fanboy I am, but I'll wait till I find it dirt cheap.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:45 pm

Quote :
there's really not very much emotion involved.

When was Megadeth ever a emotional band? They play precise mechanical metal. Marty was the one who put in a some exotic lead playing but not really emotional.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Troublezone wrote:

When was Megadeth ever a emotional band?

Yes. Anger is an emotion.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:48 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

When was Megadeth ever a emotional band?

And this album has just as much as the last...
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

Just without the memorable songs, intelligent lyrics, or the cool album cover.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 11:03 pm

Schbopo wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

I'll agree with the album cover but that really isn't important. The lyrics are the same old Dave ramblings. To me and most others the songs are good and time will tell how memorable. I know you wish it was Countdown to Extiction 2 but that would be forced.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 11:40 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Schbopo wrote:

I'll agree with the album cover but that really isn't important. The lyrics are the same old Dave ramblings. To me and most others the songs are good and time will tell how memorable. I know you wish it was Countdown to Extiction 2 but that would be forced.

I'm with Schbopo on this (or his he with me on this?). For the most part, early Megadeth was full of pissed off ramblings. In "Peace Sells," Dav sang like he really was responding to people that said he never made it work on time or that he didn't believe in God. If he recorded that song today, i think it would not be as powerful as it was back in the day. It would sound like Dave was monotonely(?) reading the lyrics off a sheet, not putting 100% in it. I also think the passed couple albums follow this trend (some songs do, though, buck the trend).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 9:59 am

Quote :
But when it comes to Endgame, it just seems that Dave is just standing behind the mic, passively reading the lyrics. Go listen to Rust In Peace, So Far So Good...So What!, heck, even Countdown To Extinction and Youthanasia. You can feel the aggression and spirit in the lyrics Dave is singing. It just doesn't feel the same on Endgame.

XYZ, I think you're onto something here. I've listened to Endgame at least 12-15 times since I've had it on Tuesday and while the music is great, there is something missing in the lyrics. For the most part, they have no memorable chorus or a refrain that sticks in your mind.

When United Abominations came out, a buddy of mine who is also a huge Mega-fan, said he didn't like it. He said something like "You can't sing along with it. Dave's just rambling lyrics." I told him he was crazy, it was a great album. While I still stand by that statement, I'm starting to think that about Endgame. Aside from 'Headcrusher', I'm not remembering much ofthe songs after it's over.

I think Dave's spending more time on the music and the lyrics are done as an afterthought. They don't have much rhyme or rhythm (or passion), if that makes sense. He needs to find a nice balance of music & lyrics again.

Maybe after taking some critical hits for putting out more personal lyrics and melodic music, Dave's logic is "Fine. You want aggressive thrash music, you got it. You don't want me baring my soul lyrically? Fine. I'll just watch CNN and scribble down some thoughts on the current state of affairs."

Ahhh who knows? I'll be spinning this again and again anyway, so maybe it'll start to penetrate my thick skull.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 11:59 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
XYZ, I think you're onto something here. I've listened to Endgame at least 12-15 times since I've had it on Tuesday and while the music is great, there is something missing in the lyrics. For the most part, they have no memorable chorus or a refrain that sticks in your mind.
This is exactly my main gripe with the album. There are very few vocal hooks and when they're present, they're extremely subdued, even in comparison to United Abominations. In the interest of making the music more thrash-y, Dave's really sacrificed a lot of the melody that he had become quite good at writing. You have to listen to Endgame quite a few times before any sort of vocal line really properly jumps out at you, which is a shame because with slightly more memorable choruses and what not, this would be amongst Megadeth's best.

Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 pm

I agree that there arn't as many vocal hooks on this album, but the excellent riffage and blazing solos more than makes up for that little shortcoming.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 1:45 pm

Well, megadeth killed last night on fallen, sadly the sound was smurf poo though.

and, I hate fallen even more now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 2:48 pm

How can you guys bag on Mustaine's lyrics when you love Pantera? HAHAHAHA
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 4:31 pm

"Risk" was an album that was supposed to be vocal hook driven (commercial)... I'm just glad he still can write good music at this point. He was going for a modern SFSGSW vibe i think... complete with a instrumental intro.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Troublezone wrote:
"Risk" was an album that was supposed to be vocal hook driven (commercial)

And it was. I'm probably alone in this, but I love "Risk". It may have been a sporadic turn into more poppish material, but every song had a hook that stayed in your head, like it or not.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Lurideath wrote:
How can you guys bag on Mustaine's lyrics when you love Pantera? HAHAHAHA

heh!! I think Endgame is quite good. It is one of the few Megadeth albums of the last several years I can listen repeatedly to...

Alex

Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 2:36 am

Schbopo wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

And it was. I'm probably alone in this, but I love "Risk". It may have been a sporadic turn into more poppish material, but every song had a hook that stayed in your head, like it or not.

I don't think the lyrics to Crush 'em are of the intelligent variety. I thought Risk was ultra boring and an insult to the Megadeth fanbase. It really should have been a Mustaine solo album.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 5:38 am

Troublezone wrote:
Schbopo wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I don't think the lyrics to Crush 'em are of the intelligent variety. I thought Risk was ultra boring and an insult to the Megadeth fanbase. It really should have been a Mustaine solo album.

Argh, this stupid argument again - No fan has the right to be "insulted" by a piece of music released by a band he has no connection with - Dave can release what ever he wants without, in theory, having to think about what some fans might think. If you don't like it, you say, "Bummer....oh, well", and wait patiently 'till next time. The same with Metallica - I believe they were pretty proud of what they did with Load/ReLoad, they don't deserve to be bashed for that, especially when all the bashing of the album is mostly not true.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 5:44 am

United Abominations was an awesome album - Great metal, with lots of memorable hooks to boot - I'm looking forward to hearing this album
Back to top Go down
ramreb
Metal novice
Metal novice
ramreb

Number of posts : 40

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 6:44 am

Well I say this is brilliant Megadeth thrash!...........if he doesn't
sound convincing its because he's 20 odd years older..............does
Robert Plant sound the same.........cause not! he's
older!............most of the critics rave about
this!............because it's.............wait for it!...........It's
GREAT.
I love it because I can't get enough of it..........I keep replaying it
because its not boring! it's METAL the way I like it, what more can I
say
New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 108889 New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 108889 New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 108889 New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 108889 New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 108889
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 7:55 am

Troublezone wrote:
"Risk" was an album that was supposed to be vocal hook driven (commercial)... I'm just glad he still can write good music at this point. He was going for a modern SFSGSW vibe i think... complete with a instrumental intro.
There's a difference between having vocal hooks and being commercial though. Risk failed because it just wasn't that well thought out of an album. It had it's moments, but even in comparison to Cryptic Writings, it was a far cry from what people were expecting. Albums like Youthanasia and The System Has Failed were barely that 'commercial' in a popular sense bar one or two songs, but were littered with vocal hooks. I do agree Endgame has a very SFSGSW vibe to it and perhaps that's why I don't enjoy it that much (I was never huge on that album, though it isn't bad), I just think it's a shame Dave has really reduced vocals to a bit of an after-thought.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 1:21 am

It's an awesome album. The whole thing. Even 'The Hardest Part Of Letting Go' (the ballad). No filler on this one.

Come on, guys. Quit being so finicky. He could've gone nu-metal, or something, a long time ago. He could've quit doing metal altogether. But that's just not in him.

Just put it in the player and headbang like you did when you were 15. Let that adrenaline flow.
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 2:28 pm

metalheaded wrote:
It's an awesome album. The whole thing. Even 'The Hardest Part Of Letting Go' (the ballad). No filler on this one.

Come on, guys. Quit being so finicky. He could've gone nu-metal, or something, a long time ago. He could've quit doing metal altogether. But that's just not in him.

Just put it in the player and headbang like you did when you were 15. Let that adrenaline flow.

AMEN! 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 4:09 pm

metalheaded gets the post of the day award.

headbanger
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2009 6:00 pm

metalheaded wrote:

Interesting, but I disagree.

I think "Head Crusher" set the bar too high for the rest of the album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Megadeth album any good?   New Megadeth album any good? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Megadeth album any good?
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next