Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...

Go down 
+25
Schbopo
metalinmyveins
bgast1
stepcousin
mc666
Required Fields
powermacho
tohostudios
Thrasher73
GrandNational
XYZ
Dave the Boss
sheets
thejokeriv
sam
MetalGuy71
James B.
manny
Stender
Temple of Blood
Troublezone
Shiney
Fat Freddy
T-Roy
ultmetal
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:43 pm

I take you guys aren't into Bill Gothard? 'Cause it's the beat!
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:53 pm

I am a firm believer that it isn't what goes into the body that defiles it, but rather what comes out.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 6:17 pm

James B. wrote:
I am a firm believer that it isn't what goes into the body that defiles it, but rather what comes out.

You mean this : A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 288219
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:46 pm

I've seen this far too many times in my life.First off I totally agree with what Ult said in his response to this guy.People often condemn things that they dont agree with but overlook the things in life they enjoy.
I did the whole trashing of my secular music thing just like a few of you have.My youth minister at the time led me to believe it was wrong,but He had no problem watching action and sci-fi movies.I think theres a little hypocrisy going on these peoples lives.The music or movies you watch are not gonna send you to Hell.Its just entertainment.
I think it was cool that Shiney shared that even though he's listened to sleaze his whole life that he hasnt lived that life.I think its all a personal thing,whether or not you can handle it is between you and God,not between you and a finger pointing hypocrite.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 7:58 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
I've seen this far too many times in my life.First off I totally agree with what Ult said in his response to this guy.People often condemn things that they dont agree with but overlook the things in life they enjoy.
I did the whole trashing of my secular music thing just like a few of you have.My youth minister at the time led me to believe it was wrong,but He had no problem watching action and sci-fi movies.I think theres a little hypocrisy going on these peoples lives.The music or movies you watch are not gonna send you to Hell.Its just entertainment.
I think it was cool that Shiney shared that even though he's listened to sleaze his whole life that he hasnt lived that life.I think its all a personal thing,whether or not you can handle it is between you and God,not between you and a finger pointing hypocrite.

Good post Thrasher.

The judgmental mentality shown by the poster(s) Ult is quoting is precisely why I don't subscribe to organized religion anymore.

The last time I went to church was about 25 years ago and it was an independent Baptist church in Tennessee. The preacher's "sermon" basically railed against those who listened to secular music, attended dances, watched secular movies, etc, etc, etc.

Now let me point out, this clown was at LEAST 50 pounds overweight but apparently gluttony wasn't on his "list of sins".

And that's the attitude I've encountered in every church I've attended in my life. It's fine to point out the sins of everyone else but conveniently ignore the sins in your own life. Pass; God and me can work on my own guilt trips, I don't need some hypocrite pointing them out to me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 8:37 pm

TheNazgul wrote:
I take you guys aren't into Bill Gothard? 'Cause it's the beat!

Gothardism is just re-packaged puritanism and I am not a fan of the puritanical movement!

Thrasher is 100% correct - except this people use "God" as the excuse to condemn what they don't like - how many wars have been started over religion? Just look at the middle east, we have a bunch of wack jobs who want to KILL everyone who is not a muslim, the USA is one of there targets as are the jews and everyone else. Not only that, in the muslim world the more fanatical, hard core and dare i say FUNDEMENTALIST they are into islam, they are willing to kill there there own for being too liberal.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 8:40 pm

Beign a devoted christian on my early childhood rock music was considered music for the lost, and bands like metallica were forbidden to me. Seeing those patches from bands that I wouldn't know back then wouldn't make a difference or confused me.

One thing I would like churches to change is stop pointing fingers and start doing something for their lives. I would like to see churches being more involve into helping the needed, and being more involve on the goverment.

Some years ago, I had to leave a church because I was hanging out with guys that were not christian, and with some metalheads, and on the church I started to be attacked, that I was going the wrong way, not knowing that I was giving a good example of my Christianity to them
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:16 pm

Quote :
The last time I went to church was about 25 years ago and it was an independent Baptist church in Tennessee. The preacher's "sermon" basically railed against those who listened to secular music, attended dances, watched secular movies, etc, etc, etc.

Just like the preacher in Footloose. lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Quote :

Just like the preacher in Footloose. lol!

Yeah, in retrospect, that's exactly what it was. A real life caricature of the way Hollywood likes to depict Christianity.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 10:01 pm

This thread reminds me of a thread I started about the Christian metal movement.

I'm not bashing Christianity here (although I don't consider myself a Christian), but it seems a lot of people in the Christian metal scene condemn all secular metal. I remember Believer got condemned by some Christians for wearing secular metal band T-shirts.

I agree, people need to stop being so judgmental.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 11:34 pm

Required Fields wrote:
This thread reminds me of a thread I started about the Christian metal movement.

I'm not bashing Christianity here (although I don't consider myself a Christian), but it seems a lot of people in the Christian metal scene condemn all secular metal. I remember Believer got condemned by some Christians for wearing secular metal band T-shirts.

I agree, people need to stop being so judgmental.
That is what gets people not to turn into Christianity, because of how judgmental some of them are. BUT not all churches are like that, It all depends on the priest; the head of the church. I have met a few great preachers that are very open minded and loving people
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 11:51 pm

I don't think you guys are using the term "judgemental" correctly.

Everyone makes judgements about what actions they consider to be wrong or right.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 12:29 am

powermacho wrote:
bands like metallica were forbidden to me.
why? they sound nothing alike. yuk yuk Razz

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 1:05 am

mc666 wrote:
powermacho wrote:
bands like metallica were forbidden to me.
why? they sound nothing alike. yuk yuk Razz

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:21 am

Judge not, less ye be judged.
Love your neighbor as thy self.

Any other f'in' questions?
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:24 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:

Yeah... Is Pee-Wee gonna stop stretching his legs?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 am

Troublezone wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:

I really need to change that, don't I? You convinced me TZ. I will get to it this w/e! Something Troublezone-inspired.....Stay tuned!!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 6:29 am

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
UNCLE SAXON wrote:

I really need to change that, don't I? You convinced me TZ. I will get to it this w/e! Something Troublezone-inspired.....Stay tuned!!

Uh Oh!! :glee:
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 6:31 am

I dont see anything wrong with Steve or any other christian wearin' a secular patch on his jacket. Rock on bro!!

That being said, I was a young christain once and I know what it's like to be trying to leave your old life behind and start anew with Christ. Something like a patch or a cd or a t-shirt aint no big deal but we as christians should just be kinda careful about how we are percieved by young and vulnerable christians who are looking for new role models(for lack of a better term) after coming out of a world that frankly doesnt have very many healthy role models.

But kinda like what Ult says, if Steve's jacket had patches with say Angelica, Stryper, Whitecross, and Barren Cross(all cool bands BTW), some guy might look at Steve and think "man, there goes another preachy lame christian pushin' his Jesus thing again...no way am I gonna listen to Mortification". But, ya know, maybe if Steve can get some hard core metalheads who hate God and hate christians to listen to a Mortification album and enjoy the music and really read the lyrics, maybe that guy will think again about giving God a chance to change his life.

So like what was said above, different christians have a different calling and maybe for some it's trying to reach the hard core metalheads and for others maybe reaching some rich guy who lives in the Hamptons or some old lady who is widowed and 83 years old.

just my 2 cents.....

Grind on Steve!! headbanger
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 9:27 am

Interesting how joker brought up the Muslims and thier desire to kill those who were not muslim and without going into the extremest / fundalmentalist practices... well we can look no further than what European settlers did to the natives of the North American continent. They basicily slaughtered them and eratadicated a way of life unless the "savages" became "civilized" and converted to the belief system brought from across the ocean. Sound familar anyone ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 10:39 am

I have way too many relatives that think like that guy in the initial post...that's why I haven't spoken to any of them for about 20 years.

Close-minded, extremist, militant-radical, religious fervor (regardless of religion or anti-religion)...isn't the way to go. We were blessed with a brain, more people should actually use it.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 10:47 am

I like Steve's big ol ULTIMATUM patch! Very Happy

A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 21_04_16_2009_9_16_07_SteveRowe09

Metal master
Metal master
sheets

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 10:59 am

[quote="powermacho"]
Required Fields wrote:
That is what gets people not to turn into Christianity, because of how judgmental some of them are. BUT not all churches are like that, It all depends on the priest; the head of the church. I have met a few great preachers that are very open minded and loving people

I can happily say that most ministers I've met are cool people. That doesn't always mean the church itself is good as congregations can be very cliquish and unwelcoming, although I've never felt judged based on my tastes in art. Fortunately the church my wife and I currently go to is a great place with very laidback members who have been very welcoming. We've actually made friends there, unlike the last church we attended Smile
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 11:02 am

[quote="sheets"]
powermacho wrote:
Required Fields wrote:

I can happily say that most ministers I've met are cool people. That doesn't always mean the church itself is good as congregations can be very cliquish and unwelcoming, although I've never felt judged based on my tastes in art. Fortunately the church my wife and I currently go to is a great place with very laidback members who have been very welcoming. We've actually made friends there, unlike the last church we attended Smile

I can say the same about my church. I don't think it's just Christians that are judgmental, it's just people in gereral.

Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 12:36 pm

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...   A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A religious reaction to the new Mortification CD...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next