Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Go down 
+14
Wicked Rick
A Handful of Wayne
the sentinel
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
mc666
MetalFRO
thejokeriv
EvyMetal
Wargod
kmorg
MetalRob331
XYZ
sam
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 3:24 pm

I am definately getting the deluxe version of this as I am a huge DT fan and a true sucker for a cover song. It's embarrassing, I admit that. Peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:31 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Dream Theater doesn't do bad covers. There covers are pretty much spot on every time.

That's my problem with it, why do a cover song if you're going to copy the original EXACTLY?
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 11:59 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Dream Theater doesn't do bad covers. There covers are pretty much spot on every time. I can't think of any band that would give justice to Mercury's vocals.

true.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2009 1:43 pm

detuned wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Dream Theater doesn't do bad covers. There covers are pretty much spot on every time.

That's my problem with it, why do a cover song if you're going to copy the original EXACTLY?

I understand this, but they play homage to the originals of course by playing them as close to the original as possible. I would much rather hear a cover thats eact then a cover that really makes no sense. There are some pretty badass covers out there though that arent exact as well..

Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 9:40 am

1 word = BORING!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:34 pm

Got this today and Finally a Dream Theater album since Images and Words I think I like all the way through. Im listening to the cover song cd right now and Their version of To Tame A Land is pretty cool. I like this cd!

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:39 pm

The only thing that makes me weary of this album is that from what I saw on Amazon, only one song is less than 10 minutes. Enough with the song marathons, give me songs I can actally remember.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 4:40 pm

I waiting on my copy now! where is that UPS man!!!!!
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 6:26 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
The only thing that makes me weary of this album is that from what I saw on Amazon, only one song is less than 10 minutes. Enough with the song marathons, give me songs I can actally remember.

From listening to it today they dont really feel like 10 minute songs. Its a very listenable album and I was surprised with some of the things they did. It wont dissapoint.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Finally got it, and it rocks!!!

I'll post some pictures later.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Forgot about this!!! Off to Best Buy tomorrow!!!!
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 8:18 pm

just finished it, amazing, epic, emotional, heavy...dream theater to the max.
Back to top Go down
Wicked Rick
Metal novice
Metal novice
Wicked Rick

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 pm

I picked this up this morning and have only heard 5 of the six songs and so far it sound very good. I like it better than Octvarium and a little better than Six Degrees.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:44 pm

I grabbed this before work today and will pop it in soon. I gotta say though, a brand new 3 cd set from a current band for only $20, that's pretty awesome. Peace.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:47 pm

I'm thinking of getting this Thursday after I deposit my paycheck (already spent $20 on Amazon and there's only $2 in my wallet).
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:12 am

the sentinel wrote:
I grabbed this before work today and will pop it in soon. I gotta say though, a brand new 3 cd set from a current band for only $20, that's pretty awesome. Peace.

I got it for 14 at best buy.

I am really liking this album so far. It sounds like, well, Dream Theater. I like it alot. The songs are long but really good!!!! I am listening to it now for the 2nd time - I will listen to the bonus cd's next.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 10:56 am

Wal-Mart had the regular release but I decided to wait til this evening and get the deluxe at Best Buy. I informed a co-worker who is a big Dream Theater fan who didn't care for Systematic Chaos and told him what I'm hearing about this album and he seemed interested.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 1:58 pm

I listened to this thing all week since I got it on Tuesday. I listen to mostly at work and after its finished I usually put it back on again.

This is much better than Systematic Chaos in my opinion. In a way it reminds me a little of images and words when the songs used to have chorus'. Not that the others didnt but I think this is probably the best album they have done in a while. I loved Octivarium too but I think this beat that as well. now if it was only longer .... hmm.....

Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 pm

Guess I'm one of the few here who just doesn't find this as good as Images and Words and behind Octavarium and definitely Systematic Chaos. Not a bad album but not really what I was hoping for either. Maybe I just need to give it more time? The first song is pretty good.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 12:50 pm

I am really enjoying the heck out of this album! I like all of the songs. I did notice this album has no all out, balls to the wall metal songs like the last few albums have (constant motion, panic attack, lots of ToT, etc) but that is OK still a GREAT album. So far, I like it better than systematic chaos and octavarium.

The one song that is totally the stand out track for me so far is The Count Of Tuscany - what a GREAT songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 1:06 pm

40,000 copies sold in the first week....#6 on the US albums chart...first Top 10 debut for the band ever and highest number of first week copies sold for them ever...
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 1:19 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
40,000 copies sold in the first week....#6 on the US albums chart...first Top 10 debut for the band ever and highest number of first week copies sold for them ever...

Impressive. It really is a good album. Definitely better than the last two.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Good for them! The deserve it! Gotta love that real music is selling this week, unfortunately sandwiched between pop garbage.....
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 1:55 pm

With the loss of tons of computer data and my hangover yesterday, I forgot to give my thoughts on this album. I'm really enjoying this album and is the best thing they've done since Scenes From A Memory (although not even close to being as good IMO) I'd rank this among other DT albums like this (minus COS EP):

Awake (tied with)
Images & Words
Scenes From A Memory (close behiind the top two)
Falling Into Infiity (distant third)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Train Of Thought
Octivarium
Six Degrees (wouid be last if not for the 1st disc)
Systematic Chaos
When Dream And Day Unite

Certainly the best in quite some time. The first song has some of the most intense drum work I've heard from Portnoy yet (in parts he sounds like he'd be right at home in a death metal band). The Shattered Fortress is definatly another good addition to Portnoy's 12 step opus (I hear once he's done with the 12th step he will step down from songwriting). The Best Of Times for me is the Best Of Songs (sorry, I can't help but use puns) fallowed closely by The Count Of Tuscany. The cover disc is great and though I haven't heard the origional Queen song, I highly doubt it is a carbon copy (it has that distinct DT sound). Forgot how good a version they did of To Tame A Land with that Middle Eastern flavor added towards the middle. Also a nice rendition of Stargazer (one of the best songs ever writen IMO). Instrumental disc is O.K. but without the vocals these songs loose some of their impact.

Last edited by DallasBlack on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fix a mistake)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 01, 2009 2:09 pm

DREAM THEATER does not have a s/t CD...I think you mean When Dream And Day Unite...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next