Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Go down 
+14
Wicked Rick
A Handful of Wayne
the sentinel
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
mc666
MetalFRO
thejokeriv
EvyMetal
Wargod
kmorg
MetalRob331
XYZ
sam
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Empty
PostSubject: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Anybody else excited as I am about this?

First single from the album: A Rite of Passage

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 11:10 pm

The single was ok. Hopefully, the album is a little more dynamic.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 7:01 am

These guys amaze me with there musicianship. Petrucci is unreal with his riffs and solos, and that first verse is insanely heavy.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeSat May 23, 2009 10:54 am

This song sounds promising! I have to confess that DT has bored me to tears on occasions, but this tune makes me wanna hear more.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 3:06 pm

The 1st few songs are great after that it really falls off quite a bit got quite boring in fact!

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 6:23 pm

Wargod48 wrote:
The 1st few songs are great after that it really falls off quite a bit got quite boring in fact!

Wargod50

talking about the new one? the last one? an old one?
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeMon May 25, 2009 3:44 pm

Yeah, the song's alright. I could care less about a music video. I don't watch them.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:27 am

I am looking forward to it. Anyone remember the release date? Trying to remember when I need to head out to Best Buy.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 9:37 am

Great stuff! I noticed that the guitar tone is less chunky & heavy this time, and the song (while lacking dynamically, as xyz mentioned), reminds me of the way Dream Theater radio singles used to be, circa "Images and Words" and especially "Awake". I'm getting more excited about the album now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:05 am

there is supposed to be a follow up to The Glass Prison on the new album called The Shattered Fortress. looking forward to that.

sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:31 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I am looking forward to it. Anyone remember the release date? Trying to remember when I need to head out to Best Buy.

June 23rd, Can't frigging wait!

Last edited by sam on Tue May 26, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed date)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 11:45 am

That video above was the first time I've heard this new song...I like it!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:32 pm

mc666 wrote:
there is supposed to be a follow up to The Glass Prison on the new album called The Shattered Fortress. looking forward to that.

It's the closer to the AA suite which includes
The Glass Prison
I. Reflection
II. Restoration
III. Revelation
This Dying Soul
IV. Reflections Of Reality
V. Release
The Root Of All Evil
VI. Ready
VII. Remove
Repentance
VIII. Regret
IX. Restitution
The Shattered Fortress
X.
XI.
XII.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Last night on Eddie Trunk's radio show, he mentioned that the new DT album is gonna come with a 2nd disc comprised of all cover tunes, studio recordings with only one or 2 that were previously released. He didn't say if this was gonna be the standard release or some super-deluxe limited edition package.

Anyone else hear about this or have any additional info?

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:36 pm

There are, I think, 3 different versions being released...a single disc, a 2-disc and a super-deluxe 3-disc (3rd being all instrumental versions) box with the album also in double-vinyl...all for $132...
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:39 pm

One of the cover songs is "Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Part II." That makes the special edition a must buy for me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:42 pm

Here's what our good friend Wikipedia said...

Special edition tracks
In addition to the six tracks recorded for the album, Dream Theater has also recorded six cover tracks to be released, one per week, in the weeks leading up to the release of Black Clouds & Silver Linings. These cover songs will be released as a bonus disc along with the three disc Special Edition of the album.

Stargazer - Rainbow
Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley - Queen
Odyssey - Dixie Dregs
Take Your Fingers From My Hair - Zebra
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part 2 - King Crimson
To Tame A Land - Iron Maiden*

*previously released on that Kerrang comp album.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 4:43 pm

the cover tunes come with the deluxe version, their is also a reguler version, and the super-fancy-deluxe-ultra-supreme-whatthehellamIbuyingitfor? Box. I got the box. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 6:05 pm

Hmmmm...those cover tunes look awesome, I might have to check this out.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 9:38 pm

detuned wrote:
Hmmmm...those cover tunes look awesome, I might have to check this out.

Yea, the addition of that 2nd disc bumps this up a few notches on my want-list. I would've got it eventually, but that covers disc intrigues me.

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 11:54 pm

The last Dream Theater album I bought was A Change Of Seasons, but I sold it and my other DT discs years ago and never missed them. So if I'm thinking about buying an album by them, it's a major event.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 4:06 pm

They have a few of those cover tunes up on lala.com already. The Queen cover is pretty bad, they can't pull off the vocals (lead or backing). Stargazer sounds good but it's basically an exact copy of the original.

LaBrie's vocals have decreased my interest yet again. There are few singers that irritate me as much as he does.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
XYZ

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2009 6:33 pm

detuned wrote:
The Queen cover is pretty bad, they can't pull off the vocals (lead or backing).

That really doesn't surprise me too much. LaBrie can't measure up to Mercury.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 9:33 am

xyz wrote:
detuned wrote:
The Queen cover is pretty bad, they can't pull off the vocals (lead or backing).

That really doesn't surprise me too much. LaBrie can't measure up to Mercury.

He might have done it better at one time but food poisoning screwed up his vocals several years ago. I still think he's a great vocalist though.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Dream Theater doesn't do bad covers. There covers are pretty much spot on every time. I can't think of any band that would give justice to Mercury's vocals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings   Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next