Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater

Go down 
+17
MetalH
DallasBlack
Sutekh
shamgar75
Metal Misfit
Gilbert
iamrockerfun
James B.
manny
MetalGuy71
thejokeriv
GrandNational
MetalRob331
Temple of Blood
mc666
Orion Crystal Ice
Metallic Blaze
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 11:47 pm

One of my favorite bands. Can't wait to see them open for Iron Maiden!!!

I realize that most here probably don't like this band.

But are there any fans?

I had their debut album, "When Dream and Day Unite" cranking while I was cooking supper tonight!!!

Dream Theater 778825 Dream Theater 778825 Dream Theater 778825

Dream Theater Dream-theater
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:21 am

I love a lot of bands that DT fans may tend to like, and also ones influenced by DT, way more than I do DT. Dream Theater Icon_razz Just too much filler, not enough band identity, past 'Awake' or 'A Change of Seasons' for me....And then even if the songs were killer..I have to get past James Labrie in the later years........
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:52 am

I like every album I've ever heard from them!

I still need to fill the remaining holes in my collection though. I think this year will be the year for that!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 12:59 am

Do you have side projects such as LTE? LTE 2 is really good.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:03 am

i like them a lot. especially since Jordan Rudess joined.

Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:09 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
Do you have side projects such as LTE? LTE 2 is really good.

No, no side-projects yet. I'm still working on getting all DT's stuff first!

Dream Theater Icon_smile

mc666 wrote:

Dude, the more I get to know you - the more you seem like my metal twin.

I mean ... black, death, Evanescence, In This Moment, Dream Theater, etc!

You got great taste bi-atch!!!

Dream Theater 495333
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:33 am

Early stuff was amazing. Brilliant even.

Post-Moore stuff is ultra-lame.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 am

Love Dream Theater and to me the best group of musicians on the planet. Some filler like previously said but when DT is on they are amazing. Images and Words to me is the epitome of progressive metal and it all started there for me. Love everything they have done..

Peruvian Skies is my favorite song by them...

On a side note could you imagine Russell Allen or Nils K Rue singing for them?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:57 am

mc666 wrote:

Same here. I love Scenes from a Memory most, and just about all the others.

On a side note, I went to a wedding once and my friend came with Derek Sherinian (former DT keyboardist) as her date and we sat at the same table. I tripped out, and she had no clue as to who he was. He was really cool and he shared a lot his his musical experiences and artists he'd worked with. I asked his opinion on Jordan Rudess, and he didn't think too highly of him. Of course he wouldn't!
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:25 am

OH COOL GRAND!!!

You met Derek in REAL life???!!!

Dream Theater 798255
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 am

What do you guys think of their debut album, "When Dream and Day Unite"?

It's when no one knew who they were.

It's a very good album IMO - even though it was recorded on an ultra-limited budget.

They made the most of it on that one.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:28 am

Also, I'd like to add that the new Dream Theater album is pretty good too.

Maybe not their best, but certainly not their worst.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:45 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
OH COOL GRAND!!!

Dream Theater 798255

Ya, when I saw him at the table, his face seemed familiar, and then my friend told me that he plays keyboards for Billy Idol, and the light-bulb went off in my head as to who he was.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 4:16 am

GrandNational wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
OH COOL GRAND!!!

Dream Theater 798255

Ya, when I saw him at the table, his face seemed familiar, and then my friend told me that he plays keyboards for Billy Idol, and the light-bulb went off in my head as to who he was.

SWEEET!!!

How long ago was that?

Derek is bar-none, one of my favorite keyboardists ever!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:08 am

I am a big DT fan!!!!! Can't wait to see them open for Maiden as I have never seen them live before!!!!!! I like all of the albums except Falling Into Infinity. I can;t remember the last time I even tried to listen to that one!!!!!

The new album is AWESOME - I love it!!!! The Count Of Tuscany is my favorite 20 minute + song by them!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 8:20 am

Awake is my favorite album..."A Change Of Seasons" is my favorite single song...just an amazing band. The post-Moore stuff is good...for sure...but the Kevin Moore era is my fave...his influence is obvious. I even like Falling Into Infinity...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:11 am

I wouldn't say that I'm a super-fan, but the 4 or 5 discs I have by them I enjoy quite a bit. If I'm in the right mood for them, they're great. I doubt I'll every have album in their entire discography, but I like 'em well enough. Still need their latest one as well.

I enjoyed seeing John Pettrucci live on the G3 tour a few years ago, with Mike Portnoy on drums.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:26 am

thejokeriv wrote:
I am a big DT fan!!!!! Can't wait to see them open for Maiden as I have never seen them live before!!!!!! I like all of the albums except Falling Into Infinity. I can;t remember the last time I even tried to listen to that one!!!!!

The new album is AWESOME - I love it!!!! The Count Of Tuscany is my favorite 20 minute + song by them!!!!!!

Falling Into Infinity is an amazing record IMO... It has some of the bands best songwriting and instrumentation. Peruvian Skies, Burning my Soul, Lines in the Sand, You not Me, are all amazing tracks.
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 am

MetalRob331 wrote:

Falling Into Infinity is an amazing record IMO... It has some of the bands best songwriting and instrumentation. Peruvian Skies, Burning my Soul, Lines in the Sand, You not Me, are all amazing tracks.

I agree...
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:13 am

Re: Derek, Planet X is really good too, though a little limited in scope. People should check out 'Moonbabies' which has Tony MacAlpine on guitar, and 'Quantum' with Brett Garsed and a couple of appearances by Allen Holdsworth. Virgil Donati is on drums. I've been thinking about looking into Derek's solo stuff.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am

I like Dream Theater alot and I feel all their albums are good, I am a fan of epic prog metal that these guys specialize in.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12645

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:34 am

Great players don't always equate into good songwriters, they have moments. I do need to listen to recent stuff, lost interest awhile back.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:37 am

DT with FII are best
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 am

I love Images and Words and Awake. After that, very hit and miss for me. Systematic Chaos has some great stuff like Constant Motion and Dark Eternal Light which are incredible songs, but then there is stuff on there that just loses me. Falling Into Eternity is the same, the four songs MetalRob listed are awesome, the rest, kind of bland.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 2:02 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:
OH COOL GRAND!!!

Dream Theater 798255

SWEEET!!!

How long ago was that?

Derek is bar-none, one of my favorite keyboardists ever!

Around 2008 I believe. He actually gave me his phone number and has sent me maybe 5 or so Cd's since, so I have his address as well. Very cool guy, I never asked for the albums. The funny part is, my friend who was going out with him is now engaged to one of his friends. Haha. The irony of it all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next