Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater

Go down 
+23
Muloc7253
A Handful of Wayne
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
SideShowDisaSter
Smindas
TheGooch
thejokeriv
caniplaywithmadness?
Invader
7thSecond
Chairman_Smith
ghost
KissinMaiden
spiritoradio
mc666
the sentinel
INVADERS
Temple of Blood
GrandNational
kmorg
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:16 pm

I was listening to Live At The Marquee the other day, and had a blast hearing how good this band used to be. I really love the first 3 or 4 albums by this band, including the debut. Can't by the life of me understand why they evolved into such a wanker band.

What's your favorite DT album?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:20 pm

If I had to live with one DT album, it would be Scenes from a Memory. I think that album put everything they had to offer into one package.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:23 pm

Totally agree with you kmorg. The Kevin Moore years were incredible.

"Images and Words" is still my favorite, and one of my favorite metal albums ever.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 2:26 pm

I think Dream Theater are still an excellent band as they ever were.

Fair enough, their latest albums are more of show-off-man-ship but they still a f****** excellent band and way better that most of the smurf poo that's out there
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:11 pm

kmorg wrote:
I was listening to Live At The Marquee the other day, and had a blast hearing how good this band used to be. I really love the first 3 or 4 albums by this band, including the debut. Can't by the life of me understand why they evolved into such a wanker band.

I have to disagree with the comment of them being a wanker band. Now, on to the question:
Images and Words- sentimental favorite
Train of Thought- most popular on my cd player.

kmorg, don't make me come to Norway!!! just kidding
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2007 5:22 pm

My favorite is A Change of Seasons. I love the covers on that album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 12:27 am

the sentinel wrote:

that's my personal favorite DT album. it's their overall heaviest, so it's the most enjoyable to my ears.

i love all of them though. they never made a bad album.

spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 12:35 am

Scenes From a Memory was the first Dream Theater disc I ever bought and holds a special place in me for that reason. I agree with mc666 though, with all of their albums being good.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 2:17 am

Images and Awake are my favorite followed by train of thought changes and six degrees
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 2:35 am

I think that Dream Theater is an excellent band and they haven’t a bad album. My favorites are:

1. Train Of Thought
2. Images And Words
3. When Dream And Day Unite
4. A Change Of Seasons
5. Awake
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 4:15 am

mc666 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

that's my personal favorite DT album. it's their overall heaviest, so it's the most enjoyable to my ears.
My favorite as well, though the new one is right up there with it.

As for the band, I really don't understand all the complaints. So they have a few epic tracks on albums now, it's not like Images & Words didn't have that. Sure, it didn't have a 15+ minute song, but all the elements were there.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 6:25 am

I wasen't really able to get into them, so I traded their disks on lala... *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 4:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

My favorite as well, though the new one is right up there with it.

As for the band, I really don't understand all the complaints. So they have a few epic tracks on albums now, it's not like Images & Words didn't have that. Sure, it didn't have a 15+ minute song, but all the elements were there.

That was actually what got me into them was the fact that they did a few 8-9 minute songs that had a story/theme to them. I got IAW in '92 when I was a senior in hs and I loved it because I was so burned out on glam metal it was a very refreshing change to have something more than sappy ballads and lyrics about hooking up with girls after the show. I mean, c;mon, I love Cinderella and have seen them twice in concert, but even Tom Keifer said he wrote "Shake Me" in under 5 minutes while he was growlin' one out on the throne!
Back to top Go down
7thSecond
Metal master
Metal master
7thSecond

Number of posts : 665

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 4:24 pm

I'm assuming that most of you never gave the new one a listen? It's actually pretty good and their best release in a while. That said there will never be another masterpiece like Images And Words.
Back to top Go down
KissinMaiden
Metal master
Metal master
KissinMaiden

Number of posts : 688

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 5:37 pm

yea i heard, Dark Eternal Night is my favorite song.
Back to top Go down
Invader
Metal master
Metal master
Invader

Number of posts : 590

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 5:41 am

I like almost everything they have ever done. My favorites are Awake and Scenes From A Memory. Also the new albums is great.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 12:50 pm

the sentinel wrote:
kmorg wrote:

I have to disagree with the comment of them being a wanker band. Now, on to the question:
Images and Words- sentimental favorite

kmorg, don't make me come to Norway!!! just kidding

Sure, come on over. I'll fire up the BBQ, and hunt down some whales for you! Laughing very hard

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 7:28 pm

kmorg wrote:
Sure, come on over. I'll fire up the BBQ, and hunt down some whales for you! Laughing very hard

Do they taste like chicken? lol!
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2007 8:02 pm

It's always a nice change when people argue about the greatness of the album with the only radio hit! Haha.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 9:27 am

i like their early stuff but nowadays its just pointless 'look how talented we are' noodling
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 8:04 pm

One of my favs - the only album I don't like is falling into infinity. I was so disapointed in it, I didn;t buy scenes from a memory until it was out for over a year (decided to give it chance and complete my DT collection at the time - one of the 12 free from columbia house deals) other than the live songs on a change of seasons, not too into their live albums. They play well live, but the sound on the studio albums is much better
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 10:41 am

live at the marquee is an awesome live disc and not too long but images an words is the best
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:00 pm

caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
i like their early stuff but nowadays its just pointless 'look how talented we are' noodling
I disagree 100% with this notion. I will admit, though, that progressive rock or metal takes something of a mature mind—musically speaking—to be enjoyed. Ten years ago I couldn't stand the crap, I could never get a grasp of it all, but then something changed and I actually began to really listen. When that happened I started opening up to progressive music, and now I absolutely love it. There isn't that immediacy with progressive music, though, so you have to sort of immerse yourself into it.
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Oh yeah, meant to mention this the other day. Digital Ruin.

http://www.myspace.com/digitalruinmusic
http://www.myspace.com/digitalruinmyspace

(Different songs on each page.)

If you like the early Dream Theater stuff, check them out. They were a local band for me back in the day, releasing two killer albums, but then they broke up. They're back together now, working on a new album. Excellent band!
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2007 3:39 pm

Eyesore wrote:
caniplaywithmadness? wrote:
I disagree 100% with this notion. I will admit, though, that progressive rock or metal takes something of a mature mind—musically speaking—to be enjoyed. Ten years ago I couldn't stand the crap, I could never get a grasp of it all, but then something changed and I actually began to really listen. When that happened I started opening up to progressive music, and now I absolutely love it. There isn't that immediacy with progressive music, though, so you have to sort of immerse yourself into it.

I love progressive rock and metal and totally agree with caniplaywithmadness on this one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next