Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Dream Theater

Go down 
+11
glassprison
tohostudios
Eyesore
Lurideath
Lari
Gilbert
the sentinel
Dark Horseman
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
corplhicks
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm just gonna see what everyone else thinks before throwing my opinion out there--'cause honestly I can't decide haha. Stay through the end and you might see what I mean.

That certainly is one of the tastiest solos JP has given us in some time.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Ugh

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 3:02 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Ugh

I'm kind of with you on this, but only kind of.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 3:23 pm

DT is just boring now....have been, for me, for a long time.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 3:34 pm

I dunno know. Sounds like pretty much what you'd expect from Dream Theater anymore these days. If you've enjoyed their output in the last 10 yeas or so, you'll probably dig it. If not, this won't sway you.

I personally have enough DT in my collection without needing this.

The drummer's cymbals being 4 feet above his head looks very uncomfortable to me.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 3:40 pm

That's kind of where I'm veering. On first listen, I was floored, especially by that gothic outro. Then on second listen, I realized it's all no different than several songs of theirs (specifically Finally Free and Count of Tuscany). Maybe it's just because I've been out of touch with their later material for so long. I still spin the first four albums (and EP) like there's no tomorrow, however.

There is something in me that likes this song more than other recents, though. Can't put my finger on it.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 6:57 pm

No denying they have a tone of talent but not much after Train Of Thought has grabbed me.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
No denying they have a tone of talent but not much after Train Of Thought has grabbed me.

Yeah, that was the last "great" album from them (in this fanboy's opinion, of course). I was a rabid fan, and would have counted them in my top 5 all time fave bands from '92-'06. They started t lose me after "Systematic Chaos" though and may have put the final nail in with the last snooze fest of a concept album.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Yeah I revisited Systematic Chaos a while back. It's one of those albums where the first listen is rough yet enjoyable, yet just gets worse with each listen.

My ranking (best to worst):

Awake
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Change of Seasons (if we're counting EPs)
Falling into Infinity
Octavarium
Seven Degrees of Inner Turbulence (did I get that right? such a damn wordy title...)
Train of Thought
Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Dramatic Turn of Events
The other two that I can't remember a lick of
This next album, I guess...

TBH I've never heard When Day and Dream Unite.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 10:34 pm

I have a few DT albums but i don't listen to them much. The first two would be my favourites though.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 7:59 am

This is all I need

Awake
Images and Words
Scenes from a Memory
Change of Seasons EP
Falling into Infinity
Live At The Marquee EP
Once In A LiveTime

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 10:19 am

Dark Horseman wrote:

Yea, I'm kinda in the same boat. Train of Thought was their high-point for me. I recently went through and ripped all the DT albums I have (9). After playing them all through, I've determined I pretty much have all the Dream Theater I need.

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 10:57 am

corplhicks wrote:
I still spin the first four albums
Why not Scenes from a Memory?
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Jan 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Lari wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
I still spin the first four albums
Why not Scenes from a Memory?

LOL I totally wasn't thinking of the debut. In my mind, I&W has always been the first album. So yeah, I&W to SfaM. That's my spectrum of delight, if you will.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 2:01 am

Inner Turbulence was the last one I bought. That was too much for me. It's like a chore to listen to it.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 3:43 am

Lari wrote:
Inner Turbulence was the last one I bought. That was too much for me. It's like a chore to listen to it.

The only track(s?) for me worth listening to is the title suite. Misunderstood is a nice b-roll, the rest are passive.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3893

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 2:25 pm

This band has more talent in their pinky nail than most have in their entire body. I like them, but they are just too much for me. I don't really understand why they always have to be so damn complex. It loses its vibe and groove. I have thought this for years. If people like this, good... but I get lost after a few minutes.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 8:57 pm

I like all their album to a certain degree, though I could live without their last album for sure. I do like that the two songs released so far for this upcoming album seem to have been stripped back a bit and are more straightforward, but I really can't stop hoping they rediscover that "magic" they had on Images & Words and, though to a slightly lesser extent, Awake.

Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 9:03 pm

Lurideath wrote:
This band has more talent in their pinky nail than most have in their entire body. I like them, but they are just too much for me. I don't really understand why they always have to be so damn complex. It loses its vibe and groove. I have thought this for years. If people like this, good... but I get lost after a few minutes.

Bingo!  My opinion almost exactly.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Jan 19, 2019 9:04 pm

corplhicks wrote:
Lari wrote:

The only track(s?) for me worth listening to is the title suite. Misunderstood is a nice b-roll, the rest are passive.

I still play (and love) the first disc a lot.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 4:09 am

I wish they would just release a straightforward metal album with short tracks. I am sure they would do a great job at it. Those long songs are impossible to digest.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 am

I really like James Labrie's solo albums, as unlike the rest of the members' solo projects his are pretty much straight forward rock/metal. I listen to those more than DT these days.

I haven't found much of what they've done since Portnoy left the band to be memorable at all. For me, though Octavarium was their last "great" album. I love that one.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 10:46 am

I think Dream Theater is a great band if they're the only one you listen to. They pretty much have to dominate your CD player in order for you to understand and appreciate everything going on.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Jan 20, 2019 4:39 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I like all their album to a certain degree, though I could live without their last album for sure. I do like that the two songs released so far for this upcoming album seem to have been stripped back a bit and are more straightforward, but I really can't stop hoping they rediscover that "magic" they had on Images & Words and, though to a slightly lesser extent, Awake.

Yeah, "magic." I like that. Those two albums have an insane extra dimension that has been missing since.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm starting to get back into the band after seeing this thread. I just bought a ticket to see them on the upcoming tour where they will be playing Scenes From A Memory Pt. 2 in its entirety, plus a set of other material. I haven't seen them since they were touring with Opeth, Between the Buried and Me and another band I can't remember back when Systematic Chaos came out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Dream Theater   New Dream Theater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Dream Theater
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: