Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dream Theater

Go down 
+6
biddle
stepcousin
the sentinel
manny
VictoryInDefiance
bgast1
10 posters
AuthorMessage
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 1:58 pm

You know I used to be a huge fan of Dream Theater. In fact I still like their original material, but I have been listening to their cover bootlegs and I'm sorry to say that I am not really enjoying them very much. It seems that they attempt to put out an exact cover even down to the voice duplication. Heck, they're Dream Theater, not Pink Floyd, Yes, or Iron maiden.

Ultimatum on the other hand put out a superb cover album.
Back to top Go down
VictoryInDefiance
Metal novice
Metal novice
VictoryInDefiance

Number of posts : 13

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 7:02 pm

I LOVE Dream Theater but I know what you're talking about on this one. I also don't care for their live albums as they're just too close to the originals to be worth buying IMO. Too good for their own good in that department. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 7:21 pm

I can see where the both of you are coming from, as far as the live cover albums. Joker made me an MP3 of them playing Iron Maiden, Pink Floyd live, etc, and while I agree it is very close to the original arrangements etc, I still could not be helped but to be impressed with the depth of their talent in order to be able to pull off this shows.
Back to top Go down
bgast1
Metal master
Metal master
bgast1

Number of posts : 710

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 7:28 pm

I think that my main beef was James LaBries vocals. I used to think that John Petrucci was perhaps the best guitar player in the world. I think Joe Satriani owns that spot now, and I've heard an awful lot of really good good guitar players that may be better than Petrucci as well. Victor Smolski seems to be right up there as well. Also, like him or not because of his ego Yngwie is pretty darn good.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Aug 16, 2009 10:42 pm

I think their covers are good, not great, both studio and live; but I prefer their own material. Especially the first half of their career. The last few albums, imho are hit or miss. Peace.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 12:13 am

I agree that sometimes DT are too talented for their own good. They are such phenominal musicians that I think they sometimes lose that simplistic vibe that makes rock and metal bands' songs so memorable. You know what I mean, right? I mean, I'm as big of fan of Prog rock/metal as anyone but I think it's possible for bands to kinda get lost in that "prog for prog's sake" mentality.
Back to top Go down
VictoryInDefiance
Metal novice
Metal novice
VictoryInDefiance

Number of posts : 13

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 4:47 am

stepcousin wrote:
I agree that sometimes DT are too talented for their own good. They are such phenominal musicians that I think they sometimes lose that simplistic vibe that makes rock and metal bands' songs so memorable. You know what I mean, right? I mean, I'm as big of fan of Prog rock/metal as anyone but I think it's possible for bands to kinda get lost in that "prog for prog's sake" mentality.

I agree. I tend to view it as a "technical for technical's sake" thing though. . Especially with most of these newer metalcore and neo-thrash bands that have gained popularity over the past decade or so. Sure they're all great musicians but their music simply lacks memorability and usually goes in one ear and out the other with me.

For some reason I've always been able to follow Dream Theater's music though and can remember the songs (even the epics) fairly well after just a few listens. Same goes for Yes and Opeth. I guess it's because they understand the dynamics of writing a song as opposed to just slamming riffs together.
Back to top Go down
biddle
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
biddle

Number of posts : 337

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 7:48 am

stepcousin wrote:

I agree as well. Dream Theater are very talented, but I agree that many times it's technique over substance. They get so technical that they strip the rock and roll right out of the songs. You have to admit though, those guys sure can play their instruments. It's jaw dropping sometimes.

I also agree with the first post. I'm a big fan of the new Ultimatum CD. It is one of the most enjoyable tribute CDs ever. I'm astonished at how it just sounds like an Ultimatum CD even though it's not their songs.

headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger headbanger
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 8:39 am

Thanks Bob. Glad you are digging Lex Metalis.

I like Dream Theater a lot, but I've lost interest over the years as I think they've just not been as good a band since losing founding member Kevin Moore. I think he had a good handle on balancing technique and hooky songwriting. Images And Words, Awake and even When Dream And Day Unite
are all great albums IMO. After that they started to lose me.

I loved A Change of Season with all the covers on it, so I have no complaints about their covers, though I haven't heard much outside of those.

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 8:45 am

Quote :
since losing founding member Kevin Moore

Kevin Moore added a very unique edge to the DT sound...his playing, atmospheres and lyrics gave DT something that no other band had...his style is very distinctive...I love his stuff since leaving DT as well...the CHROMA KEY & O.S.I. albums...plus his work w/ FATES WARNING is fantastic as well...

I have started to come back around to DT after a several year loss of interest in them...but even as much as I am liking them still Kevin's influence is missed.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 am

I am a big fan - the only album I don't like is Falling Into Infinity. Black Clouds & Silver Linings is FANTASTIC, one of their best in years!!! I am really happy to see them get their due!!!
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am

Quote :
the only album I don't like is Falling Into Infinity.

What is it you don't like about it? I like it more than any of the Jordan Rudess-era albums...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 9:44 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

What is it you don't like about it? I like it more than any of the Jordan Rudess-era albums...

I just don't like it, I find it boring.
Back to top Go down

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 9:50 am

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

I just don't like it, I find it boring.

Hm...I feel like it has more personality than anything that came after it...
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeMon Aug 17, 2009 12:21 pm

The Kevin Moore albums are great, but I'm a huge Jordan Rudess fan! My favorite DT album is Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. The album that gets the least amount of play from me is When A Dream And A Day Unite. I love the new one, as well as Systematic Chaos. Octavarium lost me a little, but it's still a good album.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 6:31 am

Moore and Rudess are both great players, though I take your point about Moore's songwriting ability. I'd argue that Rudess' joining the band ws one of the factors that made Scenes from a Memory possibly their best, and his classical bent that pushed Six Degrees into new territory for the band. Yet again, there was some incredibly creative playing on Images and Words and particualarly Awake.

I am enjoying the new album, though!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dream Theater   Dream Theater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dream Theater
Page 1 of 1