Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

All things Metallica - Page 35 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 6:40 am

stormspell wrote:
You forget Metallica always have been a slow band, taking about 4 years on average to conceive and record and album. Load may be released 1996, but it was conceived and written in the first part of the 90s when alternative (or grunge, whatever it is called) still ruled supreme.

Besides, once you start following the market, you are always late to the party. It is an inevitable lag, a consequence of the time your team of marketing experts need to gather and compile the data for your next "masterpiece". It happened to them with St. Anger too, arriving even later to the groovy/angry party. Although in that case they still managed to influence the corporate music biz with taking the loudness war to an extreme new levels...
Come on, man. You're trying too hard. The black album came out in 1991, and they had to have toured that album for at least two or three years. It was way too big of an album for them not to. So if Load came out in 1996, I imagine they probably began writing/recording a year or so prior.

And does it even matter? Neither album is remotely "grunge" or whatever. Nothing from that era, specifically in the mainstream, sounded like those albums.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 am

Okay, I'm not going to split hair or get into genre semantics. Let's just say those albums are as unappealing as any grunge from that era (with very few exceptions) and leave it at that. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 am

Boris2008 wrote:

Where did I ever say that Pet Sounds or Revolver were a result of a marketing campaign? .

You never did and neither did I say you done so. I only stated that you cannot compare "Pet Sounds" or "Revolver" to "Load" and "Re-Load" for the reasons I typed in my response. Am I that hard to understand surprised

I also never said you thought Metallica's image was or wasn't contrived. Those are my words. (reason why you could not compare them to Beatles or Beach Boys 30 odd years before) You make a point about their first image being contrived as well. Yet there is somewhat of a BIG difference between 4 guys in a garage saying I'm gonna wear this on stage at the club this week-end and paying a marketing firm (millions) to map out a look from the type of shoes worn to hair style on the head.

I've always said Metallica is free to put out what they want. It will sell no matter what. It won't sell like anything from 20 years ago or more, neither will it sound like that. I don't expect it to. They put alot of time, effort, and cash into marketing the brand of Metallica. IMHO....After the major succes of the black album in 1991 and the tour following. Metallica focused more on marketing the brand of Metallica and making/writing music became a secondary aspect of that machine. A machine that is able to drag one hell of a stage show (subjective) all across the globe and fill stadiums but it is also a machine that cannot creat/manufacture quality music.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:51 am

I really think this thread is spending too much energy bickering about the Load albums. We should really be united in our hatred of LULU.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:53 am

SpectreFate wrote:
I really think this thread is spending too much energy bickering about the Load albums. We should really be united in our hatred of LULU.

Hey wait a minute!!!!! I am a huge Lou Reed fan, even if this album leaves a lot to be desired, IMO it was an interesting failure.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:54 am

manny wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:

Hey wait a minute!!!!! I am a huge Lou Reed fan, even if this album leaves a lot to be desired, IMO it was an interesting failure.

Now that the album's one fan has spoken..... Wink
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:55 am

LULU was also a marketing ploy/blunder. I just think it gave Lars means to "explore" that other lifestyle that is so dear to his heart Laughing very hard

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 11:00 am

I found it funny during the recording of the album, " Lulu" , that Lou Reed ( 70 year old Lou Reed!!!!!!) got so angry with Lars, he treatened to kick his ass!!!!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:31 pm

I hope that they dye their heads purple and record an album with Lady Gaga next!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 7:47 pm

I give them props for trying something experimental and failing miserably. Much more interesting than never experimenting in the first place.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 pm

S.D. wrote:
I give them props for trying something experimental and failing miserably. Much more interesting than never experimenting in the first place.

100% agree
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 11:22 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I hope that they dye their heads purple and record an album !

Already was done back in the late 80's by the El Lay band, The Zeros

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 11:27 pm

S.D. wrote:

Yeah what Lars and Lou were "experimaenting" with had NOTHING to do with music. Lou sang "Hey Lars, take a ride on the wild side" Laughing very hard and Lars (in his best colored girl impersonation) "Doo doo doo doo doo doo (me)"

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am

And now for something completely different, James says 'Yeah!!" 350 frackin' times...

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 11:41 am

If they did the same for Rob Zombie it would take days to listen to them all.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 10:55 am

Obviously this is not Metallica news, but I was going through clothing and getting a rid of some stuff. Then I ventured into old concert t-shirts, and I came across this relic that a classmate designed over 25+ years ago. I can't remember how many he made or if he made much of a profit? I just remember him selling them in school, and they were being sold in the local record store in our home town, called Karma Records. Eventually, Karma was told to pull the shirt (ha ha..). Anyways, this friend of mine became quite the artist and has been living in Hong Kong for probably the past decade. I thought I would share this rare piece of history, since these are one of a kind. I'm not even sure how many of my fellow classmates still have theirs? I might have the only one in existence, besides the actual artist.

All things Metallica - Page 35 00110
(Front)

All things Metallica - Page 35 00210
(Back)

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 am

I like the back graphic better......thanks for posting the pics cool

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 11:05 am

Pretty neat. Gotta love bootleg art!

By the way, inspired by the recent Load and ReLoad discussion in this thread I've given both albums a coupla spins this week. I don't think either one is out-and-out awful, just that there are a handful of good tracks on each surrounded by a whole lot of "Zzzzzzz."

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm

https://soundcloud.com/kcclips/hetfield-grunts

Every Hetfield "Yeah" ever...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
https://soundcloud.com/kcclips/hetfield-grunts

Every Hetfield "Yeah" ever...

That's so lame.

MetalGuy71 wrote:
And now for something completely different, James says 'Yeah!!" 350 frackin' times...

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 367

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 8:21 am

Thrasher73 wrote:
I believe ya Shamoomoo

The horror ...the horror
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 7:17 pm

This is pretty cool! I had no interest in Orion because of the line up, but would have loved to see this!

METALLICA Performs Entire 'Kill 'Em All' Album During Surprise Afternoon Set At ORION - June 8, 2013

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=191023

METALLICA played its 1983 debut album, "Kill 'Em All", from beginning to end during a surprise performance earlier this afternoon at the band's Orion Music + More festival at Belle Isle in Detroit, Michigan.

After word got around that a group called DEHAAN (presumably a nod to actor Dane DeHaan, who stars in METALLICA's upcoming IMAX 3D movie, "Metallica Through The Never") was set to play the event's Vans Damage Inc. stage at 4:30 p.m., the METALLICA members themselves came on and reeled off songs from "Kill 'Em All" one by one, including such classics as "Hit The Lights", "Seek And Destroy" and "No Remorse".

Prior to the performance, METALLICA frontman James Hetfield posted a photo on Instagram of the DEHAAN backdrop on the Vans Damage Inc. stage (see below) along with the following message: "Don't miss Dehaan! #MUYA #mff #UwillRegretMissingThem #IfUdoUmightKillEmAll #winkWink #getIt?"

The band's setlist was as follows:

01. Hit The Lights
02. The Four Horsemen
03. Motorbreath
04. Jump In The Fire
05. (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth
06. Whiplash
07. Phantom Lord
08. No Remorse
09. Seek And Destroy
10. Metal Militia

Check out fan-filmed video footage of the concert below. Photos are available at Overkill.pl.
Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:19 am

Okay, that's pretty damn cool.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 5:39 am

Damn that is killer
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 09, 2013 7:03 am

I'm sure it was cool, but I don't want to hear Rob doing (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth any more than I wanted to hear him doing Call of Ktulu.

Nothing against Rob, but some things Metallica are still sacred for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 35 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 35 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next