Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

All things Metallica - Page 36 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 7:28 pm

Bit of a nerd question, and this may not be the place for it as it's a bit of a die hard Metallica geek question.

Way back when, before such new fangled rubbish like 'the internet' were around, I pretty much relied on magazines for news on upcoming releases, predominately Metal Forces mag. In this there was always an ad from Shades records in London, Shades was the absolute mecca for underground metal in the 80's in the U.K and for ages they were advertising a Metallica EP that was supposedly in the works, this was advertised as 'The Sound Of Silence' which we all thought would be a cover of the Simon & Garfunkel tune. Then one day they stopped advertising it, no EP was ever released under that title, and as far as I know, they never recorded that song.

Unless anyone else knows different? Was it ever recorded, and are there any demos floating about? This would have been in-between RTL & MOP so Metallica were still awesome and I think that they would have done an awesome cover of what is already a brilliant song.

Any info?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:19 am

The only thing I could find was an interview disc (no music) and one of the tracks was listed as 'Sweet Sound of Silence'. And Flemming Rasmussen was the co-owner of Sweet Silence Studios, where the band recorded.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Is there any interest from anyone here on the Metallica soundtrack album for their movie 'Through the Never'? It came out this week, but I've seen zero discussion on it. Just wondering.

Quote :
METALLICA's "Metallica Through The Never (Music From The Motion Picture)", the soundtrack companion to the forthcoming groundbreaking 3D feature film "Metallica Through The Never", is likely to sell between 19,000 and 22,000 copies in the United States in its first week of release, according to industry web site Hits Daily Double. The estimate was based on one-day sales reports compiled after the record arrived in stores on September 24 via the band's own record label Blackened Recordings.

"Metallica Through The Never (Music From The Motion Picture)" track listing:

Disc 1

01. The Ecstasy Of Gold
02. Creeping Death
03. For Whom The Bell Tolls
04. Fuel
05. Ride The Lightning
06. One
07. The Memory Remains
08. Wherever I May Roam
09. Cyanide
10. ...And Justice For All

Disc 2

01. Master Of Puppets
02. Battery
03. Nothing Else Matters
04. Enter Sandman
05. Hit The Lights
06. Orion

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Not me, I'm all Metallica'd out.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:49 pm

I've heard those songs 100 times each... I'll pass on Metallica until they release a new album..
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Quote :
Is there any interest from anyone here on the Metallica soundtrack album for their movie 'Through the Never'?
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm interested in seeing the movie at some point. I think the concept is pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40564

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 pm

I'll pass. Plus, this is the first I had heard of it.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 4:37 pm

007 wrote:
I'll pass. Plus, this is the first I had heard of it.
It's not your normal, everyday live album.

Seems like a pretty unique concept to me.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 4:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I'm interested in seeing the movie at some point. I think the concept is pretty cool.
I'll see the movie at some point too, mostly likely on blu-ray. I'm not a fan of 3-D flicks (gives me a headache) and the Blu-Ray will probably cost less than the IMAX 3D admission prices......

As far as the CD, I have zero interested in paying for a CD of full step down-tuned versions of the classics. Watching a DVD/Blu-Ray concert doesn't bug me as much, but just the audio - no thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 5:02 pm

Eh, im kind of burned out on post-apocalyptic stories, and this looks like another one of those, just with a Metallica concert attached.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Modern day Metallica doesn't impress me at all.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 5:41 pm

I had this in my hands last night at Walmart and thought - do I really need to hear these songs again live ( I just bought Quebec Magnetic ) - I decided no - I'll wait for a new album.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 7:20 pm

I actually got it yesterday. Its basically just a live album. It was rather cheap considering it was 2 cds otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. It sounds good. Theres one song, I forget which one, where James is singing and then he just drops out and eventually comes back. Something must have happened which I'll probably find out if I see the movie. Its nothing new but I liked it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:45 am

Eyesore wrote:
I'd definately watch the movie before I'd bother with the soundtrack. Although I'm really in no rush to do either. Razz 

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:49 am

On a sadder Metallica related note, Cliff Burton was killed in that infamous tour bus crash on this date in 1986.

Bow your heads in memory of the Major Rager and the Four String Motherf***er!!! headbanger 

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 3:34 pm

For anyone interested the film is getting mostly good reviews, currently sporting 61/100 score on metacritic. It sounds like fun, I just don't know if I want to plunk down $17.50 to watch it in IMAX 3D.

As for the CD release I've been told that it sounds good and the mastering isn't quite as severe as the norm these days. The soundtrack boasts a DR-8 (dynamic range = 8db) rating which is fair, but compared to the train-wreck that was Death Magnetic (DR-3) it's a significant improvement.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 3:41 pm

I was in Best Buy today and they had a whole end cap devoted to the Through The Never soundtrack package.

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 5:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
For anyone interested the film is getting mostly good reviews, currently sporting 61/100 score on metacritic.  It sounds like fun, I just don't know if I want to plunk down $17.50 to watch it in IMAX 3D.

As for the CD release I've been told that it sounds good and the mastering isn't quite as severe as the norm these days.  The soundtrack boasts a DR-8 (dynamic range = 8db) rating which is fair, but compared to the train-wreck that was Death Magnetic (DR-3) it's a significant improvement.
What is DR?  Yes I know what the letters stand for but all I see anymore is ppl saying the DR sucks etc etc...  I dont listen to music other than on my comp or phone. So plz elaborate a little more plz..
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
S.D. wrote:
For anyone interested the film is getting mostly good reviews, currently sporting 61/100 score on metacritic.  It sounds like fun, I just don't know if I want to plunk down $17.50 to watch it in IMAX 3D.

As for the CD release I've been told that it sounds good and the mastering isn't quite as severe as the norm these days.  The soundtrack boasts a DR-8 (dynamic range = 8db) rating which is fair, but compared to the train-wreck that was Death Magnetic (DR-3) it's a significant improvement.
What is DR?  Yes I know what the letters stand for but all I see anymore is ppl saying the DR sucks etc etc...  I dont listen to music other than on my comp or phone. So plz elaborate a little more plz..
Listen to the CD version of Death Magnetic on normal headphones.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:23 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

My favorite thread on this entire board. Shawn goes into detail about it within the first couple of pages, but the whole thread is a great read.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:29 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:

DR = Dynamic Range.

Dynamic Range = the difference between the quietest moment and the loudest moment in a recording. This is measured in decibels. LPs generally had a dynamic range of around 14db. Modern CDs are averaging between 4db & 6db now, less than half the dynamic range of vinyl and also CDs produced in the 1980s.

Compression - What compression actually does is squash the recording so the quietest parts and the loudest parts are closer together, reducing the overall dynamic range. This makes our ears perceive the entire recording as being "louder". The more intense the compression the louder the recording sounds.

Compression by itself is not a bad thing, used sparingly it can make a performance sound "punchier", but over-used it just creates sonic mud; removing the separation between instruments, obliterating the room sound inherent in the recording and makes the entire album sound harsh and fatiguing on the ear.

Dynamics are most easily perceived in classical music. Ever listen to a classical recording where it's going along fairly quiet for awhile and then all of a sudden gets very loud? That is natural dynamics and is written into the sheet music for the piece, the composer indicates how quietly or loudly to play a specific section. This creates drama and a natural tension/release to the music. If you took a recording of that piece and applied a ton of compression to it, the dramatic effect is lost because now the quiet parts and the loud parts are closer together, in essence you have destroyed the intention of the composer.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2013 7:59 pm

Thank you for that. I just turn it up until it starts sounding like crap hahaha....
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:24 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Nothing is gonna sound good on your phone or computer. For someone that says they like music so much, you should have a decent portable CD player at least.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 am

I use my phone in the car through the stereo and I have some amazingggg headphones and comp speakers...It's a digital world to me...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 36 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 36 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next