Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

All things Metallica

Go down 
+83
Orion Crystal Ice
Cliffy
corplhicks
Thelemech
Hadley
MetalRob331
ElectricEye93
Chrome Locust
stormspell
Rami Airola
Boris2008
Dark Horseman
Addy
ShadowAngel
DevZor
Spyder Jonez
MoonChild
EmoElmo
Witchfinder
fingers
stpatrik
Leatherface
metalhead777
Tur-Thalion
Arjun_M
Required Fields
Grimmo
Doomdance
Chairman_Smith
Rex
EvyMetal
Vexer6
DeathCult
Alex Dee Rokket
Lurideath
Wurthless
reapermetal
mr.electric39
DallasBlack
MEGATRON
arachnoplasma
chewie
mlotek
The_Jayroh
GrandNational
tohostudios
ultmetal
Approval Guy
exact33
James B.
Shawn Of Fire
Eyesore
Gilbert
Louder
SpectreFate
Joe
Troublezone
Fat Freddy
mc666
MetalGuy71
bassman
A Handful of Wayne
holydiver97595
metalinmyveins
sheets
Lari
7thSaviour
Sabbath In Solitude
sam
Metal Misfit
Mglaffas81
Damien Solta
the sentinel
Thrasher73
Schbopo
thejokeriv
Temple of Blood
manny
XYZ
zombiewalkin
TheGooch
kmorg
87 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

All things Metallica - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 pm

The french concert video they did on the Death Magnetic tour was really good, much better than the Mexico City performance. It was filmed by a French director for distribution in theaters...so Metallica had no control over the production or editing and in this case I think it actually works in their favor.

Here's the full concert:

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 11:30 am

Dors anyone know what the Phase II version of Death Magnetic is?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 12:12 pm

kmorg wrote:
Pretty sure, if I'm remembering correctly, it just refers to the jewelcase version of the album. Sadly, not a remaster. Haha.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Eyesore wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Pretty sure, if I'm remembering correctly, it just refers to the jewelcase version of the album. Sadly, not a remaster. Haha.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:19 pm

S.D. wrote:
The french concert video they did on the Death Magnetic tour was really good, much better than the Mexico City performance. It was filmed by a French director for distribution in theaters...so Metallica had no control over the production or editing and in this case I think it actually works in their favor.

Couldn't agree more the fact that the set was heavy with material from Justice and Magnetic sounding fantastic is a testament to just how badly Lars and Co screwed those records up. Maybe a live 2CD set of And Justice For All/Death Magnetic produced by this guy might give me versions of these songs that don't make me want to punch a wall screaming WHY?!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 6:39 pm

The other reason that concert video is better than average is because the band knew it was being released in theaters...so they cut down the goofing around that they usually do, instead just focusing on putting on a very tight performance.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 8:14 pm

And Justice for All sounds fantastic.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 8:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
And Justice for All sounds fantastic.
i used to think it was ok, but then i downloaded a version online called And Justice for Jason with a beefed up bass that sounds so much better than the original release.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 8:34 pm

I've never liked the production on And Justice For All, too sterile sounding and as MC666 mention the utter lack of bass and a warm bottom-end really hurts the vibe of the record.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I think it's sounds great. It's not the only album out there where the bass is virtually nonexistent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Yes, there are other albums out there with poor mixes just like AJFA. Razz
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 9:26 am

I was a massive fan at the time AJFA came out, Metallica were by far my favorite band and that album just killed it for me, I hated it and I've never regained that love for the band. Over time I have realised that there are some classic songs on there but still think that the production is horrible. If some of you guys like it then great, but for me it was the end. I even thought that the Black Album was an improvement.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 10:21 am

Even with the bad production on "Justice", the songs were really good (IMHDO) The proof is in the pudding as they say if ya saw them that tour. They were firing on all cylinders and one could actually hear the dynamics in those songs from "Justice" they played. The songs at first glance seemed "same-ish" to what they did before, but I'll elaborate further and call them "same thing only different". I'd a really been diggin it if they continued down that "epic" and "proggy" (terms used very loosely) road but they did what they felt was right for them to do and become a "producers" band. Something I often translate as Rob Rock's Toy.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 12:37 pm

James B. wrote:
Even with the bad production on "Justice", the songs were really good (IMHDO) The proof is in the pudding as they say if ya saw them that tour. They were firing on all cylinders and one could actually hear the dynamics in those songs from "Justice" they played. The songs at first glance seemed "same-ish" to what they did before, but I'll elaborate further and call them "same thing only different". I'd a really been diggin it if they continued down that "epic" and "proggy" (terms used very loosely) road but they did what they felt was right for them to do and become a "producers" band. Something I often translate as Rob Rock's Toy.

I wish they continued down the AJFA path too instead of hiring Bob Rock and changing into an arena rock band. The band seemed to want to go that direction and reach superstar status.....
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Go out there and download "And Justice For Jason" - it's the album with Jason's bass mixed so that it's audible. Honestly, I don't really notice that much of a difference. I like AJFA but I question whether Lars actually drummed on it.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I like AJFA but I question whether Lars actually drummed on it.

I saw Metallica quite a bit while they were still an El Lay band and it was obvious that Lars was taking lessons with each subsequent show I attended.
He was really lousy, but progressed nicely considering the music they were playing at the time. After they moved north, I believe Lars had to prove something because of the talent pool in that scene with other drummers. I saw a few shows for "Justice" and Lars seemed to have things dilaed in pretty much. After that, I am of the opinion that Lars got lazy. Mostly due to success than anything else. I know from experience, you gotta practice, practice, practice.....and play, play, play at a certain level or you lose alot of what was once easy. The "other' drummers from that scene had to keep playing (at a certain level) to keep the lights on and feed the kids. Lars did not and it shows now in his playing.

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 5:14 pm

I partially blame Bob Rock for Lars' decline. He said Metallica's rhythm section didn't function correctly and worked with Lars and Jason to change how they interacted with other. I think that tinkering threw things off initially...and then Lars got lazy.

Even on the tour for the Black album the older material was sloppily executed.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 5:29 pm

I think that Lars is primarily a Metal fan who loves being in a band rather than a dedicated musician who loves his craft. By his own admission the least visited room in his house is the one with a drum kit in it. I don't think that he has much interest in being the best so long as he can do enough to keep his job.

I think that he loves the money too!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 6:58 pm

Lars has definitely gotten lazy, or simplified his playing, but his drumming on Justice is some of the best drumming ever put to tape.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Eyesore wrote:
his drumming on Justice is some of the best drumming ever put to tape.

Really? I thought was the beginning of the end of him being a good drummer.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:42 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Seriously? I find it to be brilliant. I thought he came up with some really creative stuff on that one.
Back to top Go down
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Seriously? I find it to be brilliant. I thought he came up with some really creative stuff on that one.

Undoubtedly? Don't get me wrong, I love the album, but his drumming sounds a little sterile to my ears.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 7:53 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Undoubtedly? Don't get me wrong, I love the album, but his drumming sounds a little sterile to my ears.
[Insert appropriate word because I can't think of one]? I guess compared to the previous three albums it might seem stale, or something. It's quite different from those first three albums, that's for sure. I just think his drumming perfectly accentuates the progressive leanings of that album.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 9:15 pm

people give Lars too much crap. the albums before, he was more than capable. AJFA though, he nailed it. yeah, he got a little lazy afterwards...but this album was his pinnacle.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 13, 2013 9:58 pm

mc666 wrote:
people give Lars too much crap. the albums before, he was more than capable. AJFA though, he nailed it. yeah, he got a little lazy afterwards...but this album was his pinnacle.
Precisely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All things Metallica   All things Metallica - Page 31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

All things Metallica
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next