Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pearl Jam

Go down 
+18
SAHB Healer
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
jmapot
mc666
XYZ
scottmitchell74
metalinmyveins
Metal Misfit
Shiney
A Handful of Wayne
akeldama
thejokeriv
Schbopo
tohostudios
manny
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:39 pm

You guys are definitely entitled to your opinions but that crap by Pollock could be done by a chimp armed with several paint-soaked sponges.

Same thing with Wood's lyrics. I used to babble equally "poetic" garbage in my total drunken stupors in college.

Obviously this is a point where we must agree to disagree. You won't convince me that Mother Love Bone's lyrics are art and I won't convince you that they're crap.

It's all good...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:41 pm

detuned wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
That's a Pollock piece BTW...

You have to see Pollock's work in person, picture representations do it no justice...but standing 6 feet from one of those can be a very meaningful experience.

I also like free-jazz which is basically a close cousin to avant-garde art...expressing nothing but raw emotions without being tethered to conventional, accepted forms. If you look at a Pollock painting while you're listening to Anthony Braxton it all makes perfect sense.

No drugs required.

I have seen it in person. I saw the same monkey-sponge crap in the national museum of art in DC.

Still looked like crap.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Oh yeah, I hate free jazz too. The aural equivalent of Wood's lyrics and Pollock's paintings.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Time to log off.

I think I made enough enemies for one night. See ya in the morning people...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:44 pm

[quote="tohostudios"]You guys are definitely entitled to your opinions but that crap by Pollock could be done by a chimp armed with several paint-soaked sponges.

Wrong toho, it would have to be a chimp armed with several paint-soaked sponges that could hold their liquor while listening tp Mother Love Bone at the proper volume while wearing a hub capped diamond star halo.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:47 pm

manny wrote:
Anyway literature is filled with poets who didn't always write in a linear fashion such as ......Sylvia Plath......

Exactly, throw in Anne Sexton aswell......that's the stuff i dig, the stuff that baulks at convention and conveys a vibe, feel or image that's beyond the straight and narrow.

Andrew Wood is one of the few truly magical creatures rock n' roll has spewed up. The world would be a boring place if it wasn't for guys like
Donovan, Bolan, Wood etc.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:49 pm

Anne Sexton great poet, the Death Notebooks is one of my favorites by her, nice to see know another fan of her work.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:49 pm

I guess I listened to so many bands with nonsense, foriegn language (or offensive) lyrics that I just don't require them to make sense or be profound. It doesn't even occur to me usually. I guess I think of the voice as just another instrument. I'm definitley peculiar in that way though, I admit. I'm immune to poetry, I've never read a poem in my life if I could help it.
Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:52 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Visual representation of Wood's lyrics:

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Pollock-1

If this painting were music it might sound something like this...

Ascension
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 pm

manny wrote:
Anne Sexton great poet, the Death Notebooks is one of my favorites by her, nice to see know another fan of her work.

She just uses this great punchy language.......alot of my fave Writers/Poets i come across first through references through music.

Anne Sexton i came across through the Go-Betweens.....a great band you should check out Manny.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:57 pm

detuned wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
Visual representation of Wood's lyrics:

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Pollock-1

If this painting were music it might sound something like this...

Ascension

Who was on that jazz piece that was awesome, loved it.

Never mind I saw that was John Coltrane, man when was this recorded, that dude grew leaps and bounds over a Love Supreme, incredible piece
Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:01 pm

manny wrote:

Who was on that jazz piece that was awesome, loved it.

Trumpets: Freddie Hubbard, Dewey Johnson
Saxes: John Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, Archie Shepp, John Tchicai
Piano: McCoy Tyner
Basses: Art Davis, Jimmy Garrison
Drums: Elvin Jones

Recorded 1965 for Impulse! Records

*that was a 1 minute sample of a 38 minute piece of music*

Pearl Jam - Page 4 E18045p23i1
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:03 pm

This piece was before a Love Supreme, man I found that more amazing.
Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:05 pm

manny wrote:
This piece was before a Love Supreme, man I found that more amazing.

Actually, A Love Supreme was 1964.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:08 pm

I am going to research more John Coltrane all I have by him is "A Love Supreme" which I love. For some reason I thought a Love Supreme was 1965 or 1966, I don't know why, my CD came with no liner notes ( bought used) great track thanks for sharing it detuned.
Back to top Go down
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:12 pm

Pearl Jam - Page 4 25679 This has been one helluva thread.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:38 pm

Boy am I glad I checked back in on this thread! It's taken quite an unusual and well-liked turn. Go job guys. By the way, don't care much for Pollock, never heard of Anne Sexton and dig on Coltrane from time to time. I like Mother Love Bone and am saddend by Andrew's death mostly for the fact that with his passing, it gave birth to Pearl Jam.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Quote :
You guys are definitely entitled to your
opinions but that crap by Pollock could be done by a chimp armed with
several paint-soaked sponges.

You'll get no argument from me, Toho, concerning the free-form Jazz as well!

That's like saying when I smash a finger what ensues is dancing. lol!

To each his own! (Although I do think artists over the last Century have somehow duped rich people into overpaying for what's insultingly nonsensical garbage.) Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 11:01 pm

It is just all our own personal interpretations. But that's what I love about art/music/films/books/poetry...there's something for everyone. If we all liked the same things it would be one seriously boring planet....
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

To each his own! (Although I do think artists over the last Century have somehow duped rich people into overpaying for what's insultingly nonsensical garbage.) Very Happy

That's how I feel about it too.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 3:44 am

I clicked on this thread to read about Pearl Jam... Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 9:52 am

I remember when my buddies and I first heard the name Pearl Jam in High School our reaction was "Yuck, what's Pearl Jam?" lol! I think the band was Mookie Blaylock before then, so it's an upgrade!!

Last edited by scottmitchell74 on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 11:51 am

lol.... well to go back to the subject a deluxe reissue of TEN is coming out next year and is available for preorder on their website but the stupid site isnt letting me sign up! Theres 4 different versions. Im getting the super deluxe version. This was a great album!

THE FOUR EDITIONS OF TEN: ALBUM EXTRAS PER PACKAGE
1. Legacy Edition (2-disc set in mini-LP style slipcase):
· Disc 1: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered (original mix)
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· Re-designed packaging
2. Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD specially designed hardbound package):
· Disc 2: original Ten tracklisting digitally remastered and remixed by Brendan O’Brien, plus six bonus tracks: “Brother,” “Just a Girl,” “State of Love and Trust,” “Breath and a Scream,” “2,000 Mile Blues” and “Evil Little Goat”
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
3. Vinyl Collection (2-LP set)
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
4. Super Deluxe Edition (2-disc set plus DVD, 4 LPs and replica cassette in linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box):
· DVD of Pearl Jam’s previously unreleased 1992 MTV Unplugged performance including never before seen bonus performance of “Oceans” with 5.1 surround sound audio remix
· LP 1: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl
· LP 2: original Ten tracklisting remastered for vinyl and remixed by Brendan O’Brien
· LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park – Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O’Brien)
· Cassette: replica of original “Momma-Son” Pearl Jam demo cassette featuring “Alive,” “Once” and “Footsteps”
· Package also includes an Eddie Vedder-style composition notebook filled with replica personal notes, images and mementos from the collections of Eddie Vedder and Jeff Ament, a vellum envelope with replicated era-specific ephemera from Pearl Jam’s early work and a two-sided print commemorating the Drop in the Park concert.Pearl Jam - Page 4 PearlJamTenCoverArt

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 12:03 pm

manny posted that on page 2. It seems like days ago. Smile
Back to top Go down
Neuropete
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Neuropete

Number of posts : 306

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 2:12 pm

I have all their albums, and can honestly say they are all solid releases. Pearl Jam is one of those bands that transcends labels... to me, they are a solid, rock band. I know many metal fans were turned off by the label, and some of the hype associated with the era. But, the truth as that the best music of the early 90's came from bands like Pearl Jam, along with Nirvana, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Screaming Trees, Alice in Chains and Smashing Pumpkins. You can call these bands whatever you like, I enjoyed their music then and continue to listen to them still from time to time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pearl Jam - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next