Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pearl Jam

Go down 
+18
SAHB Healer
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
jmapot
mc666
XYZ
scottmitchell74
metalinmyveins
Metal Misfit
Shiney
A Handful of Wayne
akeldama
thejokeriv
Schbopo
tohostudios
manny
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 6:50 pm

And speaking as a member of the old folks home, I appreciate the respect SM but I also think RP is entitled to his opinion of music created long before his time...no matter how wrong that opinion may be. Very Happy

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 6:55 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I found Andrew Wood's vocals very annoying and the "lyrics" were even worse.

Andrew's lyrics are very Marc Bolan like, the whole nonsensical 'Dandy In The Underworld' schtick Bolan had in T.Rex. I love those lyrics for that reason.

Remember weird is good.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 6:58 pm

Quote :
Remember weird is good.

Not always.

Funny thing is how repulsive I found that disc because like I said, I used to love it.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:00 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :
Remember weird is good.

Not always.

Funny thing is how repulsive I found that disc because like I said, I used to love it.

Listen to some T. Rex and go back to MLB, and things might be all 'dandy' again with you and MLB.
Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:16 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
So your preventing yourself from having an opposing opinion on those topics because you never lived it?
If there's a difference in opinion, I'll always defer to those who "were there". It makes a huge difference.
Being there doesn't change fact. And unfortunately Spec was talking out of his ass again.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:22 pm

Mother Love Bone I like, Pearl Jam bores me. And I'm so old that nobody even gets to argue with me about it! Cool
Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Quote :
And unfortunately Spec was talking out of his ass again.

Maybe, but I had a nice salad for dinner so I don't care.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:56 pm

RP has a right to his opinions, of course. But I have the right to point out that he has a long history here of pompous statements often times about music created before his time. In some cases he's missing the point that when a sound or band/album is new and exciting, all the text-book (wiki?) scholarly discussion two decades later can completely miss the feel, vibe, and impact - among other things - of said music when it first hit.

He's the museum curator -vs- the in-the-dirt archeologist.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 7:59 pm

There is definitely something to be said for having "lived it" as opposed to looking at a band or trend in retrospect. For one thing, living it means you experience the phenomenon in question in context. The presentation, the medium of presentation, the media presentation all factor in to the perception of those who lived it.

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 8:03 pm

But the having "lived it" is still subject to perspective. The way I experienced something, though I "lived it" may differ than someone else who did as well.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Specifically, I'm thinking of the fact that in the 70s, there was no internet. We listened to AOR FM radio when the DJ would pick a random track and play it. We also got our reviews from magazines. And the "hit" albums were what were pushed on AM and regular FM radio where the DJ would play the single off every album.

People who didn't have a good AOR FM station were stuck with listening to the same crap over and over which quickly resulted in being bored to tears with certain songs, albums and bands.

Younger people who didn't experience that oversaturation may naturally have a different opinion because they weren't bombarded with the same song over and over.

Both opinions are valid but one is coming from a context of the time and the other isn't.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 8:12 pm

tohostudios wrote:

Both opinions are valid but one is coming from a context of the time and the other isn't.

True, i'm just saying one opinion shouldn't be looked upon more favourably then the other as SM would have it.

Opinions should be taken on face value and what they say not the history of the person behind those opinions.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what i said about MLB was wrong.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 8:58 pm

I never considered the lyrics that Andrew Wood wrote as strange or weird, I thought he wrote good lyrics and sometimes goofy lyrics in the tradition of Marc Bolan/T.Rex.

San Franscio Where the Flowers Bloom in Spring
Fade to winter and see what disease brings to me
Augustino with his eyes once a shining sea
His half a shadow, God don't let that be me
Stardog Champion
You ever heard the story of Mr Faded Glory
say he who rides the pony must someday fall
I've been talking to my alter it says life is what you make it
If you make it death rest your soul away
Crown of Thorns

Very good poetry, word play and also reveals something about himself .
Also Andrew Wood shows a sense of humor (which to me its important)

I'm the instigator of the me generation
The official seminator of the female population
Captain Hi Top.

In my very humble opinion Andrew Wood was a good songwriter heading toward greatness but drugs took him at 25.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:03 pm

manny wrote:

In my very humble opinion Andrew Wood was a good songwriter heading toward greatness.

As far as i'm concerned here was already there, if he lived through the 90's he would have livened up what was for the most part a drab decade.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:05 pm

manny wrote:
I never considered the lyrics that Andrew Wood wrote as strange or weird, I thought he wrote good lyrics and sometimes goofy lyrics in the tradition of Marc Bolan/T.Rex.

Stardog Champion
Crown of Thorns

Captain Hi Top.

In my very humble opinion Andrew Wood was a good songwriter heading toward greatness but drugs took him at 25.

Right. And then there's this:

Quote :
Stick it to me baby
My loving father I showed him no pain
Taste of Eucalyptus dances and shakes
Mother Love Bone - mama papa talkin' to me
Love breeds like rabbits I'm gonna set you free now
Tell me about your dream
Chartreuse regalia and purple pie petes
You dance Electra and night becomes day

Got my mama in the kitchen
She always bitchy bitchy bitchin
So I made my proclamation To control my masturbation, babe

Mother Love Bone - mama papa talkin' to me, yeah
Love breeds like rabbits i'm gonna set you free now
Talk about your dream to me
So I made my proclamation
To control my masturbation, babe

Burgundy baby
With your blue eyed soul
You play the hits and I'm on that roll
Capricorn sister
Freddie Mercury
Jupiter Child cry

Mother Love Bone - mama papa talkin to me, yeah

If that's not drug-induced babbling, I don't know what is.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Quote :
Stick it to me baby
Tell me about your dream

Burgundy baby
With your blue eyed soul
Capricorn sister
Freddie Mercury
Jupiter Child cry

If that's not drug-induced babbling, I don't know what is.[/quote]

And as I stated earlier his goofy lyrics carry on Marc Bolan/T. Rex type lyrics, for example Marc Bolan's most famous song " Bang a Gong"

She's built like a car
She's got hubcap diamond star Halo
She built like a Truck

and as a matter fact, this lyrics you citied:

Tell me about your dream

Chartruse Regalia is mention on a T.Rex song, from the 'Unicorn" album from 1968, and Purple Pie Pete is a character that shows up in the T.Rex song 'Telegram Sam"

Also that final line about Electra and night becomes day, is inside joke to himself, Electra being the famous record label of the 60's that The Doors recorded for, and from the song " Break onThrough" where the lyric mentions Night destroys the day (or follows day) and of course it was the label Queen and his hero Freddie Mercury recorded for in the 70's who also gets a shot out in the song.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:18 pm

tohostudios wrote:
manny wrote:

Stardog Champion
Crown of Thorns

Captain Hi Top.

Quote :
Stick it to me baby
Tell me about your dream

Burgundy baby
With your blue eyed soul
Capricorn sister
Freddie Mercury
Jupiter Child cry

If that's not drug-induced babbling, I don't know what is.

No that's Bolan inspired fantastical glitter poetry, "Love Rock" as Wood called it.....all Andrew Wood's songs resonate with me, those songs are like a warm, dusty breeze full of sparkles and flecks of gold.

I can't really explain how profound an effect Wood and MLB have on
me......maybe Shiney if he was around could tell you what all this
nonesense is about.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:25 pm

Since I'm not a big T Rex fan, I can only assume that Marc Bolan suffered from the same addictions Andrew Wood did.

Quoting and referencing those who babbled before you does not mean your lyrics are good IMO.

Babbling is babbling and I think quoting and referencing is even worse than coming up with your own original nonsense.

Andrew Wood's lyrics are to music what Jackson Pollock's paintings are to art. Crap.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:28 pm

I guess I never critiqued the lyrics. I've just never been all that into lyrics myself.
As far as the context issue...knowing the original context of music is both a curse and a blessing. I love a lot of 70's pomp rock like Styx and Prism and Loverboy, and really some of the younger people I know think I'm nuts because of it. But for me it's all about being in the 70's, and riding around with hot chicks in my GTO. It was about the only music I had in common with my girlfriends. You had to be there.
But conversely some of my perceptions are also negatively colored by the original context. I said recently that I'll probably never like the Velvet Underground etc. I was introduced to them in the context of some petty teenage Mod vs. Rocker type rivalry or something. I realize I might have missed something, but I just don't care to do the work to overcome the perception of them that was formed in the original context. I could if I wanted to,and have for certain bands, but there is too much other good stuff I'd rather listen to right now.
Sometimes it's really nice to discover old music independent of the original context and hear it with fresh ears, it probably makes for a fairer assesment in the long run, a "better" perspective. But for my favorite music the original context is really an integral part of the experience and I wouldn't trade that for a broader perspective.

Last edited by SAHB Healer on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Visual representation of Wood's lyrics:

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Pollock-1

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:29 pm

That's a Pollock piece BTW...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:30 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I guess I never critiqued the lyrics. I've just never been all that into lyrics myself.
As far as the context issue...knowing the original context of music is both a curse and a blessing. I love a lot of 70's pomp rock like Styx and Prism and Loverboy, and really some of the younger people I know think I'm nuts because of it. But for me it's all about being in the 70's, and riding around with hot chicks in my GTO. It was about the only music I had in common with my girlfriends. You had to be there.
But conversely some of my perceptions are also negatively colored by the original context. I said recently that I'll probably never like the Velvet Underground etc. I was introduced to them in the context of some petty teenage Mod vs. Rocker type rivalry or something. I realize I might have missed something, but I just don't care to do the work to overcome the perception of them that was formed in the original context. I could if I wanted to,and have for certain bands, but there is too much other good stuff I'd rather listen to right now.
Sometimes it's really nice to discover old music independent of the original context and hear it with fresh ears, it probably makes for a fairer assesment in the long run, a "better" perspective. But for my favorite music the original context is really an integral part of the experience and I wouldn't trade that for a broader perspective.

I don't pay much attention to lyrics either unless they're really good or really bad. Guess where I think Wood's fall...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:34 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Since I'm not a big T Rex fan, I can only assume that Marc Bolan suffered from the same addictions Andrew Wood did.

Quoting and referencing those who babbled before you does not mean your lyrics are good IMO.

Babbling is babbling and I think quoting and referencing is even worse than coming up with your own original nonsense.

Andrew Wood's lyrics are to music what Jackson Pollock's paintings are to art. Crap.

No those guys like Bolan and Wood defined their own unique vision and myth......just like Tyla did with his barstool whimsy and "Bulletproof Poet" schtick.

These are the guys i love
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:35 pm

Marc Bolan isn't for everyone but that guy was huge influence on David Bowie, and I am actually a fan of T. Rex. Anyway literature is filled with poets who didn't always write in a linear fashion such as ee cummings, Walt Whitman, Dylan Thomas, Sylvia Plath, TS Eliot, and list goes on. Some famous jazz vocalist sometimes would scat sing, sometimes the sound was more important the meaning but that is beside the point.

As far as Jackson Pollock than I must be suffering from same addictions as Marc Bolan, Andrew Wood, because I like his art, I found it interesting.

I think Andrew Wood and Marc Bolan's lyrics were more than good they were art , I think for a guy who was only 25, he was very talented individual. If that means I like crap so be it.
Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2008 9:36 pm

tohostudios wrote:
That's a Pollock piece BTW...

You have to see Pollock's work in person, picture representations do it no justice...but standing 6 feet from one of those can be a very meaningful experience.

I also like free-jazz which is basically a close cousin to avant-garde art...expressing nothing but raw emotions without being tethered to conventional, accepted forms. If you look at a Pollock painting while you're listening to Anthony Braxton it all makes perfect sense.

No drugs required.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pearl Jam - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pearl Jam   Pearl Jam - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pearl Jam
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next