Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rock/Metal Urban Legends

Go down 
+17
XYZ
manny
James B.
akeldama
DeathCult
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
kmorg
Thrasher73
thejokeriv
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
Tall Tyrion
Shiney
Troublezone
the sentinel
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

There is also supposedly a Japanese version of the LICK IT UP LP that features the band in makeup on the cover. I used to see it listed in the "import albums" ads in Circus magazine and the like back in the '80s but there was never a photo of said album cover and to this day I've never seen one, so I wonder if it ever actually existed.

This one?

Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Japanese_KISS_LIU_cover_1983
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:19 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

There is also supposedly a Japanese version of the LICK IT UP LP that features the band in makeup on the cover. I used to see it listed in the "import albums" ads in Circus magazine and the like back in the '80s but there was never a photo of said album cover and to this day I've never seen one, so I wonder if it ever actually existed.

This one?

Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Japanese_KISS_LIU_cover_1983

Hmmm, it very well could be, I suppose. So maybe that one's not bullsh*t after all.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Two more KISS related urban legends...

I've heard several times over the years that when Ace Frehley left KISS in '81, Eddie Van Halen wanted to audition to take his place. I find that one rather hard to believe since at the time Van Halen was on their way up (while KISS were definitely on the way down) and were totally killing KISS in terms of record sales and concert attendance. I doubt he would've walked away from that to join what was, at the time, a sinking ship.

I remember talking about this before. I believe this was mentioned in the Van Halen biography, and it really did happen. Gene said it wouldn't work partly because he didn't know what Eddie's makeup would look like.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:21 pm

Geez, Spec and xyz should work for Mythbusters. Laughing Thanks guys.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:21 pm

I am sure ULT or Joker could answer those questions, my understanding is the on demos Gene Simmons was working on for whatever KISS album, that it features Eddie Van Halen playing on the demos, but I am not sure what songs or how true this is.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:25 pm

xyz wrote:
Gene said it wouldn't work partly because he didn't know what Eddie's makeup would look like.

Yea, suuuuuuure that was the only reason. Laughing Knowing Gene, he didn't want to hire Eddie cuz he knew Eddie would blow the rest of the band off the stage. Smile

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:26 pm

xyz wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Two more KISS related urban legends...

I've heard several times over the years that when Ace Frehley left KISS in '81, Eddie Van Halen wanted to audition to take his place. I find that one rather hard to believe since at the time Van Halen was on their way up (while KISS were definitely on the way down) and were totally killing KISS in terms of record sales and concert attendance. I doubt he would've walked away from that to join what was, at the time, a sinking ship.

I remember talking about this before. I believe this was mentioned in the Van Halen biography, and it really did happen. Gene said it wouldn't work partly because he didn't know what Eddie's makeup would look like.

I like Freddy find it hard to believe that Eddie Van Halen would leave Van Halen to join KISS, and also find Gene Simmons explaination about his concerns with what make up Van Halen would wear is the reason Eddie was not made a member of KISS, after all they find the perfect make up for Vinnie Vincent. What next someone is going to try and tell me that Ron Keel once got the singing gig for Black Sabbath but talked his way out of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Quote :
Yea, suuuuuuure that was the only reason. Laughing Knowing Gene, he didn't want to hire Eddie cuz he knew Eddie would blow the rest of the band off the stage. Smile

Vinnie ended up doing that anyway, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:28 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

Vinnie ended up doing that anyway, IMO.

Yea, but Vinnie's a wanker. (looking over shoulder to make sure Deathcult isn't about to smack me)

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:30 pm

Quote :
Yea, but Vinnie's a wanker.

Perhaps, but he makes a mean Ham N Cheese omlette at the Waffle House in Teaneck.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:32 pm

I've heard the KISS/ Eddie Van Halen try-out thing too. Never read anything "official" on the matter, but yes, I've heard that rumor. Same with Eddie playing on some KISS demos. Whether it's true or not, the topic seems to come up every time KISS releases any sort of compilation or box set. The fans want to hear these supposed demos that Gene has locked away instead of the umpteenth million version of 'Rock n Roll All Night'.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:40 pm

I think Gene buried those demos in Schpop's backyard.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Quote :
I like Freddy find it hard to believe that Eddie Van Halen would leave Van Halen to join KISS

Depending how far you read into it, I could see it happening. Around that time ('80-'81), Eddie was probably starting to get tired of DLR's lead-singer bullschmitt. Just imagine, if you will, a conversation Eddie having with Gene one night at the Rainbow in LA.

EVH: Yea, Dave's really starting to annoy me with his ass-less chaps and non-stop rambling. You can do splits. Alright, I get it. Geez, I gotta get away from this guy.

G$: I know what you mean, Eddie. We just gave Ace the boot. That guy is a hot-mess. We've been using this cue-ball looking guy in the studio, but need someone cool looking to step into these custom-made platform boots with frickin' laser-beams in 'em. Cost us a fortune.

EVH: Dude, you still got those demos we recorded? Maybe I'll just leave the band and play with you guys. Gimme a call when you get home.

G$: Sure thing. I'm just finishing up here. Right honey?

The groupie that's under the table servicing Gene hears this, who tells her boyfriend, who's the bartender serving Eddie triple-vodkas all night, who then tells a few friends the next day that "Dude, Eddie and Gene were in last night and Eddie's gonna play guitar for KISS. Ace fried his brain with a laser or something"

Voila! An urban legend is born.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:04 pm

manny wrote:
I am sure ULT or Joker could answer those questions, my understanding is the on demos Gene Simmons was working on for whatever KISS album, that it features Eddie Van Halen playing on the demos, but I am not sure what songs or how true this is.

I think that is just an urban legend, probably created by Gene himself. Genie does tend to exaggerate quite bit when it comes to himself and KISS.

The demos are realy - Alex and Eddie play on Gene demos and Eddie did a demo with Paul of Love Gun. All demos were for the Love Gun album - this was during the time gene produced VH's first demo (that he wasn't able to sell, it took Ted T. to make a new demo and sell it to WB)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:16 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

Perhaps, but he makes a mean Ham N Cheese omlette at the Waffle House in Teaneck.

We've been over this before, Spec. There are no Waffle Houses in Teaneck. If he's making omelettes in New Jersey, he's most likely working at an iHop.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Quote :
We've been over this before, Spec. There are no
Waffle Houses in Teaneck. If he's making omelettes in New Jersey, he's
most likely working at an iHop.

It's my lie and I'll supply whatever details I like, thank you. Smile
Back to top Go down
stevegarveyfan
Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:14 pm

How about the one where Jimi Hendrix is asked how it feels to be the best guitarist in the world, and he replies, "I don't know. Ask Phil Keaggy."

I've heard that one many times.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:18 pm

I never heard that one but when he was on the Dick Cavett show, Dick Cavett asked him how it felt being called the greatest guitartist, he got embarrassed and told Cavett "Maybe the best guitartist sitting in this chair' apparently he was a very humble guy.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 4:25 pm

stevegarveyfan wrote:
How about the one where Jimi Hendrix is asked how it feels to be the best guitarist in the world, and he replies, "I don't know. Ask Phil Keaggy."

Yep, I've heard that one many, many times
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 5:00 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
stevegarveyfan wrote:

Yep, I've heard that one many, many times

I've even heard Clapton and Eddie Van Halen have said the same thing.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 16, 2009 10:49 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I like Freddy find it hard to believe that Eddie Van Halen would leave Van Halen to join KISS

Depending how far you read into it, I could see it happening. Around that time ('80-'81), Eddie was probably starting to get tired of DLR's lead-singer bullschmitt. Just imagine, if you will, a conversation Eddie having with Gene one night at the Rainbow in LA.

EVH: Yea, Dave's really starting to annoy me with his ass-less chaps and non-stop rambling. You can do splits. Alright, I get it. Geez, I gotta get away from this guy.

G$: I know what you mean, Eddie. We just gave Ace the boot. That guy is a hot-mess. We've been using this cue-ball looking guy in the studio, but need someone cool looking to step into these custom-made platform boots with frickin' laser-beams in 'em. Cost us a fortune.

EVH: Dude, you still got those demos we recorded? Maybe I'll just leave the band and play with you guys. Gimme a call when you get home.

G$: Sure thing. I'm just finishing up here. Right honey?

The groupie that's under the table servicing Gene hears this, who tells her boyfriend, who's the bartender serving Eddie triple-vodkas all night, who then tells a few friends the next day that "Dude, Eddie and Gene were in last night and Eddie's gonna play guitar for KISS. Ace fried his brain with a laser or something"

Voila! An urban legend is born.

lol!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 am

What about the one that rod stewart had to have his stomach pump because he got sick off mick jagger's spooge
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 12:26 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

We've been over this before, Spec. There are no Waffle Houses in Teaneck. If he's making omelettes in New Jersey, he's most likely working at an iHop.

Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 47715 <<<For Freddy

Wanker no, bad business man and insensitive to fans, indeed. Gene's just pissed because he stood up to him. And for the last time Spec, hes in friggin tennesse.

And yes, thats the Lick It Up import they refer to, it does exist. Common misconception of that rumour is that they did the actual Lick It Up cover shoot in make up as well, which is false, to the best of my knowledge anyway. The foreign press used pictures from past tours thrown together on the cover.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 4:35 pm

Motley Crue-Personality #9 (though that one is true).
VH-double album with Cherone, where's the other half?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 4:47 pm

I'm sure the real reason EVH didn't join Kiss was because Gene & Paul wanted to pay him minimum wage.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock/Metal Urban Legends   Rock/Metal Urban Legends - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock/Metal Urban Legends
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next