Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Local metal legends?

Go down 
+20
TheGooch
Required Fields
SAHB Healer
Witchfinder
GrandNational
Shiney
krokus
mc666
Temple of Blood
caniplaywithmadness?
Todd Jaymz
SideShowDisaSter
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
Olafsto
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Thrasher73
kmorg
sovdat
24 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

Local metal legends? Empty
PostSubject: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Is / was there any at least a bit famous metal act from your neighbourhood / city / region?

I guess that I can take my whole county for my neighbourhood, as
everyone knows everyone and stuff, but sadly we never had a really
known metal act. Perhaps Pomaranča (Orange), they were somehow known in
the Japan in mid 80s, and maybe Sarcasm - their first album semms to be
pretty popular among the underground thrash circles here in Europe.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:54 pm

The closest I would get is Artch. They were a local heavymetal act that released 2 albums on Metal Blade.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 12:56 pm

the only one that comes to mind is BRIDE.They are from West Point.Kentucky about 40 mins from where I live
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:04 pm

I grew up in New Jersey. There were tons of bands that came from that NJ/NY area when I was growing up. Anthrax were local heroes, as were Twisted Sister, who use to play in the bars in my area quite a bit. Overkill were another.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I grew up in New Jersey. There were tons of bands that came from that NJ/NY area when I was growing up. Anthrax were local heroes, as were Twisted Sister, who use to play in the bars in my area quite a bit. Overkill were another.

You forgot Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen:lol!:

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:08 pm

kmorg wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

You forgot Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen:lol!:

Yup. Both from Jersey.

Heathens Rage were friends of mine in high school. They opened for Anthrax a couple times when they were still playing the clubs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:18 pm

Cinderella and Britiny Fox are the first 2 that come to mind when talking Philadelphia. I'm sure there are others. I gotta think about that one.

Heaven's Edge were right on the cusp of hitting it big in the glam-era. The local rumor back in the day was that MTV was pushing all these different hair bands and their next big promotion was either another Philly band (Heaven's Edge) or another up-and-coming band from the LA Strip. Well, the powers that be decided to go the West Coast route and put Warrant into heavy rotation. The rest is history.

While I cannot verify that there was any truth to that story, it certainly sounded plausable at the time and the band weren't afraid to keep that rumor afloat.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 pm

Philadelphia? The Hooters. Remember them? LOL!

When I was in college, DIRTY LOOKS were a big local band (Rochester, NY) and had just signed with Atlantic Records. I bought their In Your Face tape.

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:21 pm

Powermad
Impaler
Kublai Khan
Slave Raider
Gemini
Brass Kitten
Hurricane Alice

Lance King and David Reese are local guys.

Ok, other than Impaler, I guess I would not consider any of those "Legends", but all good in thier own respect. Minneapolis is much more known for acts like Prince, Soul Asylum, The Replacements, Husker Du, Babes in Toyland, Semisonic, The Jayhawks, The Time, The Suburbs, Crow, Semisonic, etc.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:25 pm

Powermad rule! Speed metal legends.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:35 pm

Quote :
Philadelphia? The Hooters. Remember them? LOL!

E-gad!! I've been trying to forget about them!! lol!
The girl who sings the national anthem at all Flyers home games (Lauren Hart) has a band on the side featuring ex members of the Hooters. And as long as were on the "non-metal" side of things, who could forget Philly Soul favorites Hall & Oates!?

Another one from Philly was John Corabi. He played in a few bands on the local scene back in the 80's (anyone remember Angora?), then went to LA to form The Scream before replacing Vince Neil.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 1:44 pm

COMMUNIC!!
I live in a small town, and I am very proud of the boys in Communic. I know them quite well, The bass player Erik is my neighbour and good friend.
In fact my daughter is over at their house right now:D
Anyway, no matter where they come from, they are one of my absolute favourite bands🤘 🤘
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:02 pm

Primordial & Cruchan would be close to me (within 1 hour)
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3892

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:18 pm

Apocrypha
Righteous Pigs
Racer X

Those are the only 3 I can think of off hand that were here in Vegas
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:31 pm

A quick internet search shows that the band Pharaoh has roots in Philadelphia, which I was not aware of.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:33 pm

Lurideath wrote:
Apocrypha
Righteous Pigs
Racer X

Those are the only 3 I can think of off hand that were here in Vegas

I would have pegged Racer X as a Hollywood/LA band. How about that? Learn something new everyday.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Right on Ult, Jersey has a proud metal tradition with bands like Overkill, Hades, Twisted Sister, TT Quick, etc.

But as far as me personally knowing any band members... ehhh, not so much. A couple of the guys from the hair-metal band Trixter went to my high school (I graduated with Steve Brown, the guitarist...very nice guy, too bad I never liked his band much, haha), but that's about it for me.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 2:49 pm

kmorg wrote:
The closest I would get is Artch. They were a local heavymetal act that released 2 albums on Metal Blade.

Hmm, always thought Witchhammer came from your neighbourhood kmorg?
Speaking of Witchhammer, have you heard any news ,if or when there will come a new album?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4601

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 3:08 pm

Intruder were from Nashville (only 2 hours from me in Memphis).

That's only band worth a flip from Tennessee that I can think of.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Todd Jaymz

Number of posts : 324

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 3:16 pm

Geremy Wagner from the now defunked Broken Hope, we wet to school together for 6 years or so. We still hook up now and then around xmas. His mom still lives here in the Stevens Point area. His new band Lupara is great Death Metal, they are on Crash Music-TJ
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Olafsto wrote:
kmorg wrote:

Hmm, always thought Witchhammer came from your neighbourhood kmorg?
Speaking of Witchhammer, have you heard any news ,if or when there will come a new album?

Yeah, you are correct, sir. But they are even lesser known than Artch. One could also argue that both Equinox, Cadaver (aka Cadaver Inc.) and Ragnarok are from around here, but I bet noone knows about them.

Witchhammer are currently recording a new album, but no release date have been set. They are "shopping around" for a label, and if I understand this correclty, they are getting some help from members of Dimmu Borgir!

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 6:19 pm

Wargasm. Bands I was in must have opened for them 20 times in the 90s.
Back to top Go down
caniplaywithmadness?
Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 6:32 pm

the darkness are from my area. the drummer is one of my best mates uncle. they were kind of short lived tho
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2007 8:41 pm

The closest we have is INTRUDER from Nashville. Great band!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2007 12:28 am

not from the area i currently live, however i was born in Lodi, NJ in 1978. the Misfits came from there in 1977. humble

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local metal legends?   Local metal legends? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Local metal legends?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next