Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Megadeth thread

Go down 
+84
Hadley
Wrecked Neck
nevermore
HeavyThrashhead
666_Evil_666
Wurthless
stormspell
Lari
bgsully
Zdan
glassprison
Rami Airola
DevZor
Lurideath
Thelemech
oldschooldoom
Vexer6
Dr8breed74
Glower
sovdat
mlotek
mikeinfla
chewie
Wayne
Runicen
Eyesore
DakotaRogers
MetallicSeminarian
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
Boris2008
choosemetal
thejokeriv
corplhicks
MoonChild
the sentinel
7thSaviour
Svengo
FATALITY
Gilbert
Addy
James B.
MetalRob331
XYZ
sam
akeldama
Schbopo
Metal Misfit
manny
Orion Crystal Ice
zombiewalkin
metalinmyveins
kmorg
Tall Tyrion
EvyMetal
GrandNational
Leatherface
Vordul
shamgar75
DeathCult
Mortuary
kethdredd
A Handful of Wayne
Hamer12
Thrasher73
Shiney
TheGooch
TrogDawn
Todd Jaymz
ghost
Troublezone
SideShowDisaSter
Jedilink
MetalH
Temple of Blood
Chairman_Smith
Rex
mc666
ultmetal
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
Smindas
88 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 42  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:26 am

I have both the original 8 song Combat version and the '02 remaster. I like the cover better on the remaster. I prefer the original CD version of the music though.

The "remixed" version of "These Boots" on the '02 version is the most annoying thing I've ever heard. Why Dave included that song, I don't understand.

I actually purchased the remaster for the bonus demo tracks. However, I now have a cool bootleg version of the demo, along with an early live show that I tend to listen to moreso than remaster.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:29 am

I have all three, i usually listen to the original, as I only have the demos ripped onto my iPod.

Did our conversation about the 1984 demo spark this?
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:31 am

ultmetal wrote:
I have both the original 8 song Combat version and the '02 remaster. I like the cover better on the remaster. I prefer the original CD version of the music though.

The "remixed" version of "These Boots" on the '02 version is the most annoying thing I've ever heard. Why Dave included that song, I don't understand.

I actually purchased the remaster for the bonus demo tracks. However, I now have a cool bootleg version of the demo, along with an early live show that I tend to listen to moreso than remaster.

Dave did that as a big F you to Hazelwood, who wouldn't let him use the song anymore
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:33 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Did our conversation about the 1984 demo spark this?

No. I've just been on a Megadeth kick for the past few days. That's what sparked this thread, although a conversation about the demo and Ruthie's Inn show sparked my Megadeth kick to begin with.

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:35 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

Dave did that as a big F you to Hazelwood, who wouldn't let him use the song anymore

Yup. I read Mustaine's reasons for editing the song but I think all Dave did was make himself look like an idiot. The edited track sounds ridiculous and most fans hate it. The first time listening to it, it's somewhat amusing and funny. After that it's just annoying.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:45 am

I actually like the remaster quite a lot. I think it's well done, so long as you completely ignore These Boots, which with the bleeps is shameful.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 12:53 pm

2002 remaster
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 1:48 pm

I have the original Combat with Boots on it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 2:03 pm

I have the Combat version without 'Boots' and the '02 remaster. I used to have a tape of the original with Boots on it, but when I got the cd, I tossed it. Not too long ago, I found a cheap copy of the "Dudes" movie soundtrack that had "These Boots" on it, along with some other cool metal gems.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 3:20 pm

I have all 3. The one with these boots I have on cassette thats why I wont get rid of it. The others I have on cd. I really like the remastered/remixed version the sound is so much clearer and the drums sound awesome.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 4:24 pm

I have the original Combat version with "These Boots". Funny thing is, the only reason I bought this disc was for "These Boots".
Back to top Go down
Mortuary
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Mortuary

Number of posts : 498

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 4:38 pm

Original all the way.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:47 pm

I have the original 8-track and the remaster, but I have to go with the original album all the way.
One of my favorites
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:18 pm

I have the '02 reissue. Got it because it sounds better. These Boots however I just skip all the time. Very annoying. Mad
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4596

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 8:29 pm

I have the original release and it's the one I prefer. I don't like messing with an album for a reissue (other than a boost in mastering).

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 10:26 pm

🤘 ORIG COMBAT VERSION 🤘
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18833

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 11:14 pm

The original.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 1:54 am

I have the 2002 version. I always thought it would be cool to re-record Mechanix.
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 3:48 am

I have the Combat without These Boots. Still hope to find the original one day.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 6:46 am

i have the 7 song Combat

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 8:04 am

i have the century media pressing with these boots removed. i want tto get the remaster eventually
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Praises:

I love the original version which included "These Boots" and that's the one I'm most used to, but the remix/remaster version from 2002 really sounds AWESOME if you listen carefully (a lot of details were lost in that original mix). I also love that the original 1984 demo is included as bonus tracks, however... (see negative comments below)

Those are the two versions I have and like for different reasons, but I also made myself a custom version of my own which is basically a burn of the remaster with the original version of "These Boots" inserted in it's proper place so the flow of the album is restored with the superior sound on all tracks but one. So that's probably my favorite version. The Megadeth thread - Page 4 309780

Also, the cover on the 2002 remaster is far superior, IMO, to the last minute record company cover (see negative comments below) made for the original pressing. The new artwork, as ult said above, is closer to what Dave originally wanted and I can vouch for that because I was into the band while they were still in clubs and the original hand drawn logo found on their backdrop and their flyers has the same theme (with a few slight differences) as that new artwork. I wish I could find a copy of that original logo to show you, because it was VERY COOL and it was the thing that caught my eye in the first place and caused me to want to check them out (in addition to the fact that Dave was ex-Metallica). I used to have a flyer for the April '84 shows at the Stone in SF that had that drawing on it, but it got lost somewhere over the years and I've never seen it anywhere since. Sad (they also had SHIRTS with that logo on it in the very early days, but I missed out on those - though I would LOVE to find one! greedy)

Complaints:

The second pressing of the original version with "These Boots" removed is a waste of time, IMO, since it's the exact same release minus one song. The original pressing with that song intact isn't that hard to find - in my experience.

I echo loudly the complaints about the censored version of "These Boots" on the remaster - it's horrible to listen to. But I also think that Dave included it in that horrid state as the final "F*CK YOU!" to Lee Hazelwood for revoking permission to use the song - not immediately mind you, but only after Lee had already received about 10 years' worth of royalties from it. So, from an artistic/principle standpoint I get it and appreciate the statement, but I haven't listened to that version more than twice since acquiring the remaster. The original version works much better for me.

And although I was glad to see the 1984 demos included as bonus tracks, the sound quality on them is horrible compared to the original cassette, and the very beginning of "Last Rites/Loved to Deth" is faded in instead of starting abruptly like on the original cassette. I have a cdr of the original from the cassette version I bought at The Record Vault in SF in 1984 when it came out and it sounds FAR BETTER than the version Dave released on the remaster.

And finally, a word on the cover art of the original pressing: I had been a huge fan of Megadeth through their demo tape and a bootleg of the show I attended at Ruthie's Inn in Berkeley in November of 1984. So, I was VERY ANXIOUS for their debut album to come out. When it did, having been into not only their music, but the concept artwork as well, I took one look at the cover and almost puked. How could they replace that kickass artwork with an inferior picture of a plastic model skull that looked like a 6th grader's science project?!?!? I was VERY disappointed in the artwork at that time. Later however, I heard that the record company (sigh) thought the original version of the logo was too violent and replaced it with the watered down version at the last minute. Good thing the album was good enough to overcome that awful presentation. Wink
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 1:36 pm

Interesting post Trog. Thanks for sharing that.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 1:44 pm

Glad ya liked it. Smile

Those were the days indeed. The Megadeth thread - Page 4 604261
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 pm

This it Trog?

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/celebrity/images/Rock/megadeth.JPG
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Megadeth thread   The Megadeth thread - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Megadeth thread
Page 4 of 42Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 23 ... 42  Next