Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?

Go down 
+49
manny
MoonChild
Mattallica667
stormspell
powermacho
Sword Of The Heretic
skullsmasher
DeathCult
Shiney
brontotex
Wargod
Temple of Blood
ghostintheruins
TrogDawn
TheGooch
TH Joe
scottmitchell74
Leatherface
Invader
XYZ
Selvmord
MetalRob331
nevermore
Mglaffas81
SAHB Healer
GrandNational
tohostudios
mez
Mordor
ensiferum2k
Tall Tyrion
candlemass
the sentinel
exact33
Lurideath
DallasBlack
krokus
thejokeriv
Metal Misfit
Chairman_Smith
mc666
Skysplitter
A Handful of Wayne
INVADERS
Rex
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:05 pm

Keep those opinions coming!

I'm really on the fence about picking up this one.

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Got to pick this one up.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:54 pm

Just got it today. Too much orchestration, not enough balls!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 pm

Orchestration rulz dude. Even with metal band. Can't wait to hear that.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 10:45 pm

Ive been listening to this straight through since I got it monday and its actually good. So if you can handle it not being like usual priest then go get it.

The orchestration isnt really that big of a deal either. Its not like they have a 60 piece orchestra or something playing to their songs like Rhapdsody or Manowar. Its more computerized orchestration than anything so its not anything that takes over the music completely.

Last edited by Phoenix Reign Drummer on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 11:09 pm

AceFrehley655 wrote:
Orchestration rulz dude. Even with metal band. Can't wait to hear that.

I didn't say orchestration is a bad thing. I like orchestrations in metal when done right. I just don't like it for Priest dude.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 12:39 am

there is still alot of quality metal in this son of a gun. mostly mid-paced, & spaced out by alot of intros, interludes & outros. usual cheese lyrics ala 80's Priest. my only issue is that the album as a whole is far to long. it should have been scaled back by a few songs.

other than that, while it's not the best cd, it is an adventurous offering from one of the greatest metal bands ever, who refuse to rest on their laurels.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 1:26 am

mc666 wrote:
there is still alot of quality metal in this son of a gun. mostly mid-paced, & spaced out by alot of intros, interludes & outros. usual cheese lyrics ala 80's Priest. my only issue is that the album as a whole is far to long. it should have been scaled back by a few songs.

other than that, while it's not the best cd, it is an adventurous offering from one of the greatest metal bands ever, who refuse to rest on their laurels.

I wish it was just one album with all the cheese cut-off. It just distracts the music and the overall flow when you have to have listen to all the unnecessary interludes and such.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 2:24 am

I'm gonna have to spin my friend's copy a few times before I decide. I'm gun shy from too many Jag Panzer/ Virgin Steele/ Kamelot epics to go gung ho on this right away.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 7:36 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Never understood the hate for RAM IT DOWN. It's way better than TURBO at any rate. I always felt their worst albums were TURBO and DEMOLITION

Stop the nonsense!! - Demolition RULES!!

- Granted, there are some filler (Devil Digger, Cyberface, Metal Messiah), but with tracks like Machine Man, Blood Suckers, Hell is Home (what a monster of a song!), FEED ON ME.....it's rock solid.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 8:11 am

mc666 wrote:

That's a pretty fair assessment. I just hope this gets the "orchestration" and "concept album" bug out of their system and they return to playing straight forward heavy metal with their next album. Even thought it's a decent album, it's just not what I want to hear from Judas Priest.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 8:32 am

Is it just me or is Death sound like it is destined to be a new Priest classic? I like the whole album but that particular song IMO is the most Priest-like of the album. BTW, love the whole album and it will be high up on my list this year.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 9:26 am

Yep, I bought it. I'm not a big fan of this but I need to give it more spins.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 9:31 am

I picked it up last night and I'm still on the first disc but I'm blown away. I love it so far. It's good to see an old dog learn some new tricks.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 9:34 am

Still haven't bought the darn thing. Sad

My bro has it and he sez that disc 1 damn near put him to sleep at first, but it finally "clicked" with him during disc 2.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 9:42 am

Man, Keith Bergman over at Blabbermouth tore this album a new one. 5/10 It's a fairly long and well spelled out review, but it basically boils down to this paragraph:
Quote :
With apologies to EXODUS, JUDAS PRIEST have created one fabulous disaster with "Nostradamus". Unfortunately for them, album length and sheer metric tonnage of strings do not make an album great. They've dressed up a third-rate Broadway show in the trappings of a heavy metal album, confusing quantity with quality and shoveling bombast at the listener until the only emotion left is a vaguely irritated fatigue. As I've pointed out, there are a few good songs, and a lot of clever bits of ear candy and impressive guitar frippery — but this is the kind of record you'll feel proud to have survived, once, and one that'll quickly start gathering dust next to the rest of the band's much more compelling discography. If you're a diehard PRIEST fan, "Nostradamus" is gonna feel like a velvet-lined kick in the balls, and if you're into long and complex concept albums, you already worship a dozen bands with more of a knack for pulling off a project like this.

On the other hand, Metal-Invader gave it a near perfect review:
http://www.metal-invader.com/db/reviews-4894.html

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 9:52 am

ultmetal wrote:
Man, Keith Bergman over at Blabbermouth tore this album a new one. 5/10 It's a fairly long and well spelled out review, but it basically boils down to this paragraph:
Quote :
With apologies to EXODUS, JUDAS PRIEST have created one fabulous disaster with "Nostradamus". Unfortunately for them, album length and sheer metric tonnage of strings do not make an album great. They've dressed up a third-rate Broadway show in the trappings of a heavy metal album, confusing quantity with quality and shoveling bombast at the listener until the only emotion left is a vaguely irritated fatigue. As I've pointed out, there are a few good songs, and a lot of clever bits of ear candy and impressive guitar frippery — but this is the kind of record you'll feel proud to have survived, once, and one that'll quickly start gathering dust next to the rest of the band's much more compelling discography. If you're a diehard PRIEST fan, "Nostradamus" is gonna feel like a velvet-lined kick in the balls, and if you're into long and complex concept albums, you already worship a dozen bands with more of a knack for pulling off a project like this.

On the other hand, Metal-Invader gave it a near perfect review:
http://www.metal-invader.com/db/reviews-4894.html

Keith is one of the worst reviewers on the net, he bases his review on 1 spin of the record and his love for the band. If a band seems to go into a new direction that he doesnt like that album is poop in his eyes.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 10:31 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
Keith is one of the worst reviewers on the net, he bases his review on 1 spin of the record and his love for the band. If a band seems to go into a new direction that he doesn't like that album is poop in his eyes.

One spin is probably not a good thing, but doesn't everyone base their review off whether they like the direction a band takes? I think his review is a little harsh, but not really completely off base either.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 10:37 am

I disagree with the review. What's wrong with a band trying new things? I think the new album is great. I doubt JP start doing this kind of album from here on out. I applaud them for trying this and doing a good job at it.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 10:52 am

ultmetal wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
Keith is one of the worst reviewers on the net, he bases his review on 1 spin of the record and his love for the band. If a band seems to go into a new direction that he doesn't like that album is poop in his eyes.

One spin is probably not a good thing, but doesn't everyone base their review off whether they like the direction a band takes? I think his review is a little harsh, but not really completely off base either.

Well when people read reviews say on the blabbermouth site, i think they want to know how the album is, not that the guy doesn't like the direction JP went. Reading a lot of his reviews made me come to the conclusion that the cd has to be pure brilliance for him to even consider an 8/10. As for what i am saying as a reader to these reviews is that i want to know the ups and downs of the album the strong points and weak points. Not that this isn't the Priest he has grown to love and therefore it sucks.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:00 am

Heres the first video from the album. I wouldnt think they would have made this song into a video. Now this I dont really care for.

http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=251091
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:36 am

MetalRob331 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Well when people read reviews say on the blabbermouth site, i think they want to know how the album is, not that the guy doesn't like the direction JP went. Reading a lot of his reviews made me come to the conclusion that the cd has to be pure brilliance for him to even consider an 8/10. As for what i am saying as a reader to these reviews is that i want to know the ups and downs of the album the strong points and weak points. Not that this isn't the Priest he has grown to love and therefore it sucks.

Everybody (including our very own Eyesore) seems to hate Keith Bergman's reviews. I think he's hilarious. I might not always agree with him (time will tell if I agree with him on the new Priest, as I haven't heard it yet) but his reviews are always a hell of a funny read.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:52 am

ultmetal wrote:
I just hope this gets the "orchestration" and "concept album" bug out of their system and they return to playing straight forward heavy metal with their next album. Even thought it's a decent album, it's just not what I want to hear from Judas Priest.

I believe this is just a one-off change in direction for the band. Unlike Scorpions with Humanity Hour I, I haven't seen the band doing interviews saying "this is the new sound and we're sticking to it". This was just a pet project of theirs that they really wanted to do. I have complete faith they'll be rockin' out with a brand new heavy metal album a few years from now.

The album isn't really too bad. I'm loving Disc 2, Disc 1 has some good stuff but kinda drags. This isn't really my kinda metal, but it's decent for what it is. The album is definitely too long though and if they'd condensed it to one album taking the best of both acts, I think it would've been embraced a lot more because there are some good metal songs on here, they're just spaced out A LOT by interludes and mid-tempo numbers.

I have to sit down and give Disc 1 a few more thorough listens, then I'll be posting my thoughts on the album on my blog in a few days.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Everybody (including our very own Eyesore) seems to hate Keith Bergman's reviews. I think he's hilarious. I might not always agree with him (time will tell if I agree with him on the new Priest, as I haven't heard it yet) but his reviews are always a hell of a funny read.

I agree they are hilarious but so inaccurate if he gives it under a 6 its got a chance to be album of the year.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 20, 2008 11:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

I never go to Blabbermouth for reviews (because I didn't even know they did any), just for news. I go to AllMusic.com first and then usually just google and click links for reviews. So where are the reviews at on Blabbermouth? Mixed in with the news? I clicked on "Releases" but it just took me to Roadrunner bands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next