Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?

Go down 
+49
manny
MoonChild
Mattallica667
stormspell
powermacho
Sword Of The Heretic
skullsmasher
DeathCult
Shiney
brontotex
Wargod
Temple of Blood
ghostintheruins
TrogDawn
TheGooch
TH Joe
scottmitchell74
Leatherface
Invader
XYZ
Selvmord
MetalRob331
nevermore
Mglaffas81
SAHB Healer
GrandNational
tohostudios
mez
Mordor
ensiferum2k
Tall Tyrion
candlemass
the sentinel
exact33
Lurideath
DallasBlack
krokus
thejokeriv
Metal Misfit
Chairman_Smith
mc666
Skysplitter
A Handful of Wayne
INVADERS
Rex
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
53 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 10:34 am

I'ved listened to it all the way through twice, and a few stop/starts during my comute - it's a grower. I like it better now than when I first heard it - I still think it shounds like andrew lloyd webber's nostradomus staring rob halford with additional music by judas priest!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 1:06 pm

ultmetal wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
I just picked up mine today. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though...

Listening to this one again this morning. Still can't get the, "...you're a naughty one, Saucy Jack, you're a haughty one, Saucy Jack." thoughts out of my head. 🤘

candlemass wrote:
I think it's the most ambitious project they've ever undertaken, and is far from boring, but it doesn't surprise me that certain folk find it that way.

I thought the last Iced Earth, Manowar and Blind Guardian albums were boring too, while others were saying they were "the most ambitious project they've ever undertaken." Frankly, I think "concept albums" sometimes focus too much on the storyline and not enough on the songs. Complexity and adding in a bunch of orchestration doesn't necessarily make a good song IMO. Actually, these things tend to take away from my enjoyment of it most of the time.

I don't think it's a "bad" album. I've listed to it 5x since purchasing it last week, but it just doesn't grab me by the jugular like I expect Priest to. Sure, there is a few great songs, as ES said, but as a whole, it's too long, has too many odd little interludes and doesn't have even a full album full of the usual Priest-quality songs.

I'm looking at this as the "Music from the Elder" of the Priest catalog. It's an oddity that the band had to get out of their system. In the Priest catalog it will have people that love it and hate it, but overall, it will never be considered one of the band's best.

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 1:58 pm

Quote :
Complexity and adding in a bunch of orchestration doesn't necessarily make a good song IMO. Actually, these things tend to take away from my enjoyment of it most of the time.

That's why I get bored with drawn out concept albums too. It's ambitious yeah, for them to attempt it at all is ambitious...but concept albums are tricky things...you don't just "decide" to do one. Iced Earth, Manowar, Kamelot, they sorta built up to it...JP went from being a straight, 10-song per album METAL band to suddenly trying to write a 2CD, orchestrated concept album...that's a huge leap, IMO. Kudos for trying, but what I've heard is boring.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:01 pm

But really, it's a perfect time for them to do this concept album. They just recently (kinda) got their big name singer back in the band and produced a pretty darn good comeback album. So if this one flops then the majority of people are still high from the return of Halford, and will rejoice at the return of the OG metal sound on their next album. I think it's a genius idea, but I haven't heard the results.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 2:56 pm

Quote :
thought the last Iced Earth, Manowar and Blind
Guardian
albums were boring too, while others were saying they were
"the most ambitious project they've ever undertaken." Frankly, I think
"concept albums" sometimes focus too much on the storyline and not
enough on the songs. Complexity and adding in a bunch of orchestration
doesn't necessarily make a good song IMO. Actually, these things tend
to take away from my enjoyment of it most of the time.

Quote :
Iced Earth, Manowar and Blind
Guardian

Like, don't have, Love...so mabye this new Priest is for me??
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2008 3:13 pm

If I see it used somewhere for like 6 dollars I will pick it up. I'm not really excited about this based on what I've heard and fan reaction.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 1:59 am

I gave it my first full listen today and I found it really interesting. I'll have to sit down and hear all of the lyrics to get the whole story though. Aside from Halford's voice, I don't think it sounds like Priest much at all until the get to the title track, which is the next to the last cut on disc 2. I really like all of the ambient interludes and the way it feels like they pace themselves until they get to the end instead of the usual balls out of the gate style they use. I wasn't all that thrilled with AoR, so to me, this is a really cool change of pace for them. I think it will be a grower and will probably get more airtime than AoR has in my player.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 2:13 am

TrogDawn wrote:
I gave it my first full listen today and I found it really interesting. I'll have to sit down and hear all of the lyrics to get the whole story though. Aside from Halford's voice, I don't think it sounds like Priest much at all until the get to the title track, which is the next to the last cut on disc 2. I really like all of the ambient interludes and the way it feels like they pace themselves until they get to the end instead of the usual balls out of the gate style they use. I wasn't all that thrilled with AoR, so to me, this is a really cool change of pace for them. I think it will be a grower and will probably get more airtime than AoR has in my player.
that's how i felt. there is a whole lot of metal on this mutha... but it's spaced out. it's definitely a grower. you need to give it many spins in order to fully appreciate it.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 2:20 am

mc666 wrote:
that's how i felt. there is a whole lot of metal on this mutha... but it's spaced out. it's definitely a grower. you need to give it many spins in order to fully appreciate it.

That's spot on, that is why I've been playing this so much lately.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 3:35 am

Hey DB, is that Zooey Deschanel in your sig? She's such a babe. What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 8:44 am

TrogDawn wrote:
Hey DB, is that Zooey Deschanel in your sig? She's such a babe. What a Face

You are right on the money. IMO, the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on. I can barely watch Hitchikers Guide The Galaxy without longing for her (pathetic I know), that is the first time I noticed her (the first movie I saw her in was Mumford, but she was only 17 in that movie so I overlooked her). In another world maybe I'd have a shot with her but as the old saying goes, "If 'ifs' and buts were candy and nuts. We'd all have a jolly good time."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 8:57 am

If ifs and buts meant Zooey on my nuts, I'd have a jolly good time.

That is really inappropriate. But I enjoyed typing it.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 9:03 am

Zooey D. was cute as Hell in "Hitchhiker's Guide" (one of my fave books, great film too!)

Her sister Emily (who's on the TV show "Bones") ain't too bad neither.

Back on topic: Dang it, I still haven't bought "Nostradamus!" Maybe over the weekend!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 9:25 am

Back off topic real quick.

Fat Freddy wrote:
Zooey D. was cute as Hell in "Hitchhiker's Guide" (one of my fave books, great film

Her sister Emily (who's on the TV show "Bones") ain't too bad neither.

That's her sister!!!!!!!!! Shocked Damn, beautiful eyes must run in the family. I've never seen "Bones" but i've seen the previews for the show and I must say, "Hubba, hubba!!!"

Quote :

Don't talk that way about my woman boy!!!! :kickbutt:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 9:40 am

DallasBlack wrote:

You're right. I wouldn't want anyone talking to Winona or Kristin that way. Smile My apologies.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 4:57 am

Don't worry guys, after the tour I bet we'll hear a Halford solo album!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 4:07 pm

For now, I would probably give Nostradamus a 6.5. The 1st disc is definately my favourite of the 2 so far. A bit of a spotty release, but still, the genius of Priest is quite prominent at places. Plus it's always faschinating how Priest manage to reinvent themselves time and time again and find new avenues with their music.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 5:04 pm

I really like AoR, but this one is clearly off the beaten path for Priest and I find it refreshing, it's also quite good, but it's a moody lp, and me being a moody person it suits me fine! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 5:50 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Don't worry guys, after the tour I bet we'll hear a Halford solo album!

the band are on smoking form i must say
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 1:51 pm

ultmetal wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
I just picked up mine today. I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though...

Listening to this one again this morning. Still can't get the, "...you're a naughty one, Saucy Jack, you're a haughty one, Saucy Jack." thoughts out of my head. 🤘

So now that everyone has had this thing for a bit of time, is everyone still loving it? Hating it? Given up on it?

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:00 pm

I still haven't gotten NOSTRADAMUS!! Pathetic isn't it??

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:10 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

Quote :

DB, it's time you found yourself a real girlfriend. You are at an age where it gets a bit weird to fantasize about girls on-screen. It's all an illusion. A bit creepy actually. Smile What the hell happened to this thread?

Back to the topic. I still can't get into this JP album, no matter how much I try to. Like I said before, if most of the crap was cut and it was on one cd with the mostly rockers, it would be much more enjoyable. Anyone seen the new video that was on Headbanger's Ball? Man was it cheesy.
Back to top Go down
INVADERS
Metal master
Metal master
INVADERS

Number of posts : 937

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 2:23 pm

i've totally given up on it, i've listened to it about 15 -16 (maybe more) times and still can't get away with it.
i don't think this one will ever grow on me.
it'll be the only priest album with halford i don't enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Boring!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
brontotex
brontotex

Number of posts : 446

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 08, 2008 7:23 pm

Saucy Jack indeed!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?   Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT? - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Judas Priest - Nostradamus - DID YOU BUY IT?
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next