Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus

Go down 
+8
Gilbert
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
glassprison
Boris2008
MetallicSeminarian
Dark Horseman
Witchfinder
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Empty
PostSubject: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 6:36 pm

I must admit that I am no fan of Priest's Nostradamus. I found it to be bloated and boring. So much so that I've never revisted it since it was released.

If you could chop it down to one disc of 10 tracks, what would you pick? I am hoping there are some gems there to be rediscovered.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 6:51 pm

Prophecy
War
Exiled
Pestilence and Plague
Visions

No getting away from the symponics but these are my fave 5.
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 6:54 pm

I've actually never heard it. I've seen it and thought about picking it up, but something else always caught my eye. I'll probably check it out eventually.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Pestilence & Plague is one of my favorite Priest songs full stop, love Rob doing the full on operatic bit!  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 7:48 pm

Quote :
If you could chop it down to one disc of 10 tracks, what would you pick? I am hoping there are some gems there to be rediscovered.

I would pick these ten:

Persecution (7/10)
Revelations (6/10)
Nostradamus (5.5/10)
Prophecy (5/10)
The Future of Mankind (5/10)
Conquest (4.5/10)
Death (4/10)
Alone (4/10)
Visions (3/10)
War (2/10)

But I'm not a big fan of any of the tracks to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 pm

Nostradamus is a 10/10 track alone. That middle instrumental section is amazing.

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Bottom line is this album sounds generic, and nothing like Priest. Maybe shadows here and there, but even more removed than their classic sound than Turbo. Also poorly mixed on top of it all.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 12:54 am

This is a very good album. It does not have the classic priest elements but rob shines.

There are some great speed metal moments as well.

Go out and buy it.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 9:29 pm

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t20052p25-judas-priest-nostradamus#567665

SIDE ONE (~21mins)
1. Nostradamus
2. Alone
3. Shadows in the Flame
4. Visions

SIDE TWO (~22mins)
5. Dawn of Creation
6. Prophecy
7. The Four Horsemen
8. War
9. Sands of Time
10. Pestilence and Plague

Total running time 43:27
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2014 9:50 pm

Title track is good. Concept pulled off a bit hokey. Most of the full tracks honestly just have the exact style and sound of mid-tempo 'Painkiller' tracks, they just rumble on kind of inoffensively. Some of the other instruments (the organs) are done well, some aren't. I'm never stoked to put the thing on, but it doesn't curl my face into disgust like a bomb or two they've had.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 5:33 am

My favourites are Revelations && Percecution.
Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 5:46 am

Like Halford's last album, there's about 40 minutes of great material surrounded by lot of mediocre fluff.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 3:22 pm

It's far, far better than Halford's solo material. Tipton's songwriting far exceeds Roy Z's.

Back to top Go down
ElectricEye93
Metal novice
Metal novice
ElectricEye93

Number of posts : 53

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 3:46 pm

I'd say Nostradamus is better than Crucible or Made of Metal but Resurrection blows Nostradamus out of the water.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Thing about Halford's solo stuff is like ToB said....yeah, it has attitude, but it's demanding more riffs. Tipton = riffs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus   Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Speaking of Judas Priest - Nostradamus
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: