Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)

Go down 
+21
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
Metal Misfit
TheGooch
ghost
Todd Jaymz
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
UltraMagnus007
romeolimagolf
MetalH
sam
Smindas
INVADERS
MetalGuy71
kmorg
tohostudios
Rex
scottmitchell74
Wargod
QuothTheRaven
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 10:19 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
That song is OK. I'm speaking blasphemy here I know, but Barlow just doens't "do it" for me. It's a "me" thing, though....I like the high(er) pitched screamers.

Precisely the type of vocals I've come to abhor. All the "gods of the genre" are just unlistenable to me right now; Halford, Dickenson, Tate, etc...I'm just so sick of the stereotypical metal screech. Like you said though, that's just me.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 10:38 am

I'm still buying this, of course! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 am

I'm definitely buying this.

Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:47 am

Like I said before, I'm a huge Iced Earth fan boy! I've always loved Barlow's voice. To me, it's the main defining element of IE besides Jon's guitar style. I can't wait for this album to come out!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:55 am

Smindas wrote:
Maybe 'A Gift Or A Curse' is all Matt, but that's nuts. He means his vocals are more flexible than ever. He was working as a police officer these last few years, where did he find time to flex his vocal cords!
I think it was the Pyramaze album. The music was a different style, requiring him to do some different things. I think that's where it comes from.
Back to top Go down
MetalH
Metal master
Metal master
MetalH

Number of posts : 647

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 11:56 am

Is that Pyramaze worth checking out?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/bryanlovestrek
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 12:12 pm

MetalH wrote:
Is that Pyramaze worth checking out?

Yes I like it and he did a good job with them.

Wargod48
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 1:19 pm

He did a great job with them.
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 10:32 pm

On "Minions of the Watch", is that all Barlow or his he sharing vocal duties with somebody (Schaffer, maybe?) Parts of it don't sound like Barlow at all. It sounds like someone else doing the verse and Barlow kicks in on the chorus.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 7:53 am

Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
Maybe 'A Gift Or A Curse' is all Matt, but that's nuts. He means his vocals are more flexible than ever. He was working as a police officer these last few years, where did he find time to flex his vocal cords!
I think it was the Pyramaze album. The music was a different style, requiring him to do some different things. I think that's where it comes from.

I know at one time Matt was involved in a band from the police force that would go around schools and give concerts and talk to kids about safety and stuff. That's probably where he flexed his vocals.

http://www.firststateforceband.org/

I see now that his photo is no longer in the band, so he must have dropped out when he started back up with Iced Earth or something. But if you look through the photos, you'll find one shot of his back that is clearly him. On their old website, there was a good shot of him from the front too, but it's not there now.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:28 am

Ah yeah, I'd forgotten about the First State band thing. But I doubt he really let rip in that, they were just singing to school kids about the dangers of drugs and things. Barlow's falsetto shrieking or aggressive baritone may have scarred them for life ;P

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:29 am

But, it would have allowed him to sing in a much different style then he got used to singing in thus breaking new ground and giving him new ideas to incorporate into what we all know and love.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 8:47 am

...quiet you. With your sensical arguing and general logic.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:04 am

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 am

Rexorcist wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Smindas wrote:
I know at one time Matt was involved in a band from the police force that would go around schools and give concerts and talk to kids about safety and stuff. That's probably where he flexed his vocals.

http://www.firststateforceband.org/

I see now that his photo is no longer in the band, so he must have dropped out when he started back up with Iced Earth or something. But if you look through the photos, you'll find one shot of his back that is clearly him. On their old website, there was a good shot of him from the front too, but it's not there now.
Yeah, I remember that. It's when we all first saw him with no hair. Haha. But do you think that sort of band would have made him a more dynamic singer?

"Don't do druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 2:35 pm

Guess Jon is also singing on "A Gift Of A Curse!" Wonder why he doesn't do more singing?

Quote :
It’s done, or is it? While BW&BK heard 16 of the 19 tracks written for the second instalment of the Set Abominae concept, even at the eleventh hour (during mastering), ICED EARTH's Jon Schaffer is still unsure of the final sequence. As we sit in the rent-a-car listening to a possible final mix, the mainman/guitarist considers a radical overhaul, removing the remaining segues from the running order, having already opted out of ‘Be Warned’ and ‘Time Marches On’, the latter utilizes sound clips of historical events; “Oh, the humanity” Hindenburg disaster, Winston Churchill and Adolf Hitler speeches, etc.) “The record seemed to flow better. When you’re driving down the road, most people just skip over them.” Then playing the debate out in real time, he switches tact. “This is an artistic album. You’re not supposed to put it on as background music and go do something else. You need to listen and pay attention.” So are those (all?) segues doomed to the vault? “They’ll be on the (proposed) box set. It’s supposed to be like a hardback comic book, with space for the singles and the two (full-length) discs. They’ll be extensive artwork that will flush out the story and those (deleted segue?) pieces will be exclusive to that. I’m also toying with writing a couple of additional acoustic guitar parts, specifically for it.”

So what follows is the running order, as proposed, minus just the two segues mentioned above. Given two opportunities to hear this master work still isn’t enough to digest the complex storyline, intricate musical details and the overall breadth of the project, so here are some rough notes, augmented by brief plot-line synopsis.

1) ‘In Sacred Flames’
Intro. The acoustically, joined by multi-voiced choir, tying together how Part 1 ended.

2) ‘Behold The Wicked Child’
From word go, classic metal picking. During the break, an echoey, distance voice. HEAVY bottom end (Dennis Hayes on bass). Thematically, the birth of Set Abominae on the 6th hour, of the 6th day of the 6th month. Plenty of ear candy, including chanting female vocals after the chorus.

3) ‘Minions Of The Watch’
Lyrics by Matt Barlow. Cleaner, Barlow’s voice shines through. Set is oblivious to his destiny.

4) ‘The Revealing’
Pace quickens, more prominent guitar. At age 13, Set is made aware of the master plan. Lyrics again by Barlow. Short on word, long on riffs.

5) ‘A Gift Or A Curse?’
From the introspective, contemplating mind of Set. A slower, ballad type song, includes hand drumming. '70s JOE WALSH/EAGLES vibe. Jon Schaffer singing some lead vocals (!) also harmonizing with Matt. Tom Morris (producer) plays Stratocaster and gets co-writing music credit. Picks up intensity, briefly, come the bridge, but falls to the aforementioned laid-back pace at the end.
“Am I a gift, Am I curse. I’m one and all Of God and Earth”

6) ‘The Coronation’
Segue. Crack of military snare and French horn (coronet) brass flourish. Snare continues, joined by tympani and low symphonic strings, building layers. The repeated theme recalls a similar cadence to RAVEL's ‘Bolero’. Leads directly into…

7) ‘Crown Of The Fallen’
First time the Barlow/PAUL STANLEY reference is relevant. Not full force vocals. Lots of intricate finger-work, not merely riffs.

8 ) ‘The Dimension Gauntlet’
That trademark, bouncy Iced Earth rhythm. A Middle Eastern theme (Set’s signature music) can be heard.

9) ‘Injecting The Venom’
Segue begun with haunting winds, greeted by more tabla/timbali/conga hand drumming and bubbling sounds. Human voices (ominous “Ah, Ah”). Pizzicato symphonic strings amongst a whirlwind of otherworldly sounds, including sackbut (other odd pipes/horns). Set is purposefully beset by cobras, rattlers and black widows, their poisons intertwining to ignite his murderous rage.

10) ‘I Walk Alone’
1st single. Troy Mills gets co-writing music credit. Barlow and choir on the chorus, although a single voice (Set) cuts through. Mid-tempo, with abrupt ending. Same as the single version, although the voices of the choir have been expanded beyond Morris, Barlow, Schaffer, thus making for a wider sound.

11) ‘Harbinger Of Fate’
More ethereal. Barlow in that ‘I Died For You’ mode. Big dynamic jump (not tempo) come chorus. Multiple voices, tolling bells, dive bomb guitar run and rapid hand drums as song fades.
“I am the Future, ending Man’s Tomorrow”

12) ‘Crucify The King’
CRUNCH! Barlow penned lyrics. Heavy groove bottom end, high vocals in chorus. Interplay of the pummelling bass, staccato guitar riffs and Barlow’s highs.

13) ‘Sacrificial Kingdoms’
Lyrics by Barlow. Jumps right in. Historical references to Rome/Ottoman Empire both falling as Set pulled the strings. Barlow ultra-highs atop sustain guitar.
“Your future’s clear if you look back
Every culture’s earned their fate
Your gluttony as my tool of choice
You’ve proved your worth less every day”
“Kingdoms fall to the ground, crushed by their own greed”

14) ‘Something Wicked (Part 3)’
Lyrics by Barlow. Choir delivers the chorus, but Barlow interjects a solo line after every pair by choir. Dramatic shift to staccato riffs w/ neat guitar underpinning

15) ‘Divide Devour’
Speedy/heavy! Again chorus=choir, apart from Barlow, who sings “I will divide. I will devour.” Female vox in Latin atop speedy guitar. Shorter tune, not much embellishment

16) ‘Come What May’
Slower, but guitar buzzing away underneath. Matt sings in soulful, lower register. Stops just short of Schaffer asking listener, ‘Do you want what’s carved out for your life or do you have the drive/ability to make your own path?’ Repetitive chorus of symphonic strings stretches Barlow’s repertoire, screaming over top.
“From living in caves to manned flights in space
And for all that it’s worth, still the sad pathetic race”

17) Epilogue
yet to be finished…
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Guess Jon is also singing on "A Gift Of A Curse!" Wonder why he doesn't do more singing?

I was right, I win Eyesore ;D Having said that, I didn't think the voice was Jon. Jon has done a fair amount of vocals (both backing and lead) throughout the Iced Earth catalogue and I've always thought of him sounding fairly similar to Matt. It's nice to hear him sounding a bit different.

Also, that box set sounds quite interesting.

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 2:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:
So as expected, this is a very different kind of album. Much in line with Framing Armageddon. .

FA was freaking awesome and at least marked a little departure from the standard IE formula, so that's good news for me!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 3:33 pm

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I was right, I win Eyesore ;D Having said that, I didn't think the voice was Jon. Jon has done a fair amount of vocals (both backing and lead) throughout the Iced Earth catalogue and I've always thought of him sounding fairly similar to Matt. It's nice to hear him sounding a bit different.

Also, that box set sounds quite interesting.
Yeah, yeah, you win. I'm still 1,267 and 1. Haha.

And that box set does sound cool. Should have expected something like this, too.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 1:05 pm

I will hold on to my one point forever, Eyesore!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=39213689

Anyway, above is a cool press conference with Jon and Matt. Jon seems slightly more down to earth than usual, which is nice. Lots of interesting stuff in there, such as Jon effectively saying "I know nothing of music theory!", something that probably doesn't come as a big surprise to us. Along with the expected anti-Burnt Offerings comments, Jon talks a bit more about the boxset, the most interesting part being that he intends to have Matt re-record Framing Armmageddon. That is rather awesome.

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 2:39 pm

Whoooooooooooooooa! Re-record Framing Armageddon! Wow! That's gonna be awesome!
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:33 pm

Well having read the news I am as excited as a very special person with a very special reason to be excited, erm...

Anyway the boxset sounds like a definite must buy.

I must admit, on previous threads about Iced Earth I have lamented the loss of Ripper as I thought he was just made for Iced Earth and sounded great on the 2 albums he did. Not that I dislike Matt, far from It I got into Iced Earth years ago before Ripper joined. I bought the new single and have to agree with Eyesore, Matt is singing better than ever before.

I don't want to rub it in but I will be seeing Iced Earth Live in a couple of weeks at the bloodstock festival in the UK and I think i'll dig out all their albums for a 2 week monster Iced Earth session. This band rule!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:39 pm

So I just watched that presser. Good stuff. I never knew Jon didn't like Burnt Offerings. Definitely weird, but he's definitely allowed to dislike his own music. Haha. And not sure if you heard, since the questions were hard to hear and understand, but Jon said the box set would be out around Christmas, maybe. That's sweet!
Back to top Go down
romeolimagolf
Metal student
Metal student
romeolimagolf

Number of posts : 204

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 4:28 pm

Eyesore wrote:
And not sure if you heard, since the questions were hard to hear and understand, but Jon said the box set would be out around Christmas, maybe. That's sweet!

Yes, But didn't he say Christmas of '09?
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 4:29 pm

He said Christmas '09, I think. Which is less joyous. I doubt they'll have time to re-record the vocals, remix the album and get that comic / illustrations stuff done by this Christmas, what with all their summer touring shenanigans.

And yeah, Jon's been very open about his dislike for Burnt Offerings, which is good really because at least he offers an explanation for its live absence. I think I remember reading that the main reason he dislikes it was because it associates it with a very bitter time in his life. After Night of the Stormrider, it took 3 years to get Burnt Offerings out due to Century Media messing him around, and as the result, the album became an expression for his rage towards Century Media more than anything. The title track alone is pretty seething. It's a shame though, because I personally think it's some fantasticly well written rage.

PostSubject: Re: Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)   Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked Pt. 2)
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next