Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Warrior Soul Thread

Go down 
+29
metalinmyveins
exact33
blacksalad
thejokeriv
Eyesore
Metallic Blaze
Stender
Gilbert
the sentinel
mez
jmapot
Troublezone
Required Fields
manny
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
tohostudios
James B.
romeolimagolf
MetalGuy71
nevermore
martinsane
Vordul
Shiney
jstate
ghost
rattpoison
Tall Tyrion
Fat Freddy
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

The Warrior Soul Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:18 pm

The Warrior Soul Thread Warrior-Soul-Salutations-From-375021

(Thread started by popular demand... well, demand by Spectrefate and me, anyway)

Any other Warrior Soul fanboys out there besides me and Spec? I Love, love, LOVE this band and have since I first heard'em on college radio in the early 90s. They should've been huge cuz they had the complete package. This band created some of the catchiest punk/metal anthems ever written, delivered by a killer frontman who had a big mouth, tons of attitude and the smarts to back up everything he said. The entire Warrior Soul catalog is ESSENTIAL in my humble opinion, but my fave album would be the above pictured SALUTATIONS FROM THE GHETTO NATION (1992), followed by the debut from 1990, LAST DECADE DEAD CENTURY, but truthfully they're all solid as a rock. The rather weird CHILL PILL (93) would probably be my least favorite disc, but then they did that one weird on purpose simply to get out of their record contract by delivering a "f**k you" to their record label. It was commercial suicide of course, and I didn't like that one much at all when I first bought it back in the day, but nowadays I understand why they did it and totally respect them for it.

Kory Clarke is apparently running around Europe right now with a new Warrior Soul lineup and a new record is supposedly in the works for 2008... I know I'm stoked... anybody else?

Those who are unfamiliar with this fantastic band, peep the tunes on their official MySpace and BELIEVE...
http://www.myspace.com/warriorsoulinfo

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 pm

"We Cry Out"

"Hero"

"The Wasteland"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:23 pm

I have been waiting for this thread! What can I say that hasn't been said? They are the best band you haven't heard. Kory Clarke is their vocalist and brings a punk attitude to the punk/metal/hard rock music written by Pete McLanahan and John Ricco. They initially seem very simplicitic but if you delve a little deeper, you can see their underlying genius. This band didn't sell records, but they gave their fans the best music ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OB2TJF_4h4&feature=related
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:24 pm

My fav album is Salutations because I Love Destruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_WnXI7s1A

Yours, Freddy?

Last edited by on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:25 pm

spectrefate wrote:
My fav album is Salutations.

Yours, Freddy?

As mentioned earlier, SALUTATIONS would be my numero uno pick, followed closely by LAST DECADE DEAD CENTURY.
THE SPACE AGE PLAYBOYS is no slouch either.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:26 pm

Sorry. Drunk + Excitement does not = Reading comprehension. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:28 pm

Chill Pill was weird, but can you beat Cargoes Of Doom for a lead song? I think not. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:29 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Chill Pill was weird, but can you beat Cargoes Of Doom for a lead song? I think not. Smile

Great opener. "Ha, Ha, Ha" and "Shock-Um-Down" off of Chill Pill kick ass too. They sound like long lost Sex Pistols tracks.

Sadly, as I mentioned in another thread, the first time I saw W.S. was during their tour for this album and it was a complete train wreck...

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7TvTaSpP-o
"The Losers"

OK, how come the YouTube Window Thingy is only working some of the time for me?? I got it to work a minute ago now it's pissing me off. Screw it. Click the link if you wanna see that one.

Last edited by on Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:32 pm

Apologies. I haven't listened to this music in awhile. So I am happy to hear it again. Last Decade is an album I didn't like years ago because I felt it was too political. Now the politics aren't relevant so it sounds so much better these days. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:34 pm

Crap. I guess other have to have room to post as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:35 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Apologies. I haven't listened to this music in awhile. So I am happy to hear it again. Last Decade is an album I didn't like years ago because I felt it was too political. Now the politics aren't relevant so it sounds so much better these days. Smile

Well, Kory was NOT a big fan of the Republican Party back in the day (witness "The Party" off of SALUTATIONS)...personally I'd say that they're pretty damn relevant again...

Why do you think they went all cyber punk and dropped the politics on "Space Age Playboys?" The Democrats were in office then, so Kory had nobody to rage against...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:39 pm

I think Kory wasn't making money with the Ricco formula so he brought in old punks to round out his sound. I preferred the more metallic sound of Ricco in the band. But Space Age is a natural sounding album. But other than a couple songs, the Space Age Playboys (New Rock Underground) band album did not appeal to me.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I think Kory wasn't making money with the Ricco formula so he brought in old punks to round out his sound. I preferred the more metallic sound of Ricco in the band. But Space Age is a natural sounding album. But other than a couple songs, the Space Age Playboys (New Rock Underground) band album did not appeal to me.

From what I understand, Ricco and Kory nearly killed each other during the making of CHILL PILL so that's why Ricco exited. There were a lot of drugs in the band at that time.

I liked the Space Age Playboys' NEW ROCK UNDERGROUND disc to some extent, but it's not as cool as Warrior Soul's SPACE AGE PLAYBOYS -- too fuzzy sounding.

Have you heard the one album Kory did as Dirty Rig's frontman (ROCK DID IT)? Much more simplistic than his Warrior Soul stuff (which may explain why he left after only one record) but it's OH so ass kickin' ... their song "Drunk Again" contains one of my favorite lyrics of the past few years:

"Read the warning on my forehead, dude
It says instant a**hole, just add booze
I'm drunk again! I'm drunk again!
Christmas parties, I'm the life
Told the boss off and humped his wife
I'm drunk again! I'm drunk again!"

...Yea, THAT'S Kory Clarke all over!!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:45 pm

I want to check out Dirty Rig. In fact, you may need to send me a copy. Smile

The Warrior Soul "Odds and Ends" disc is pretty awesome as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 11:47 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I want to check out Dirty Rig. In fact, you may need to send me a copy. Smile

The Warrior Soul "Odds and Ends" disc is pretty awesome as well. Smile

I'll see what I can do about a Dirty Rig hookup... wait, that just sounds wrong. Well, you know what I mean. Laughing

"Odds And Ends" has some neat stuff on it. The unused title track to "Last Decade Dead Century" is probably my fave off of that. Kory's liner notes in that one are pretty interesting too.

Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 12:13 am

Ya buncha fanboys. lol!

I need to find me someone else who remembers the Rock City Angels so I can go for hours with no one else having a clue what we are talking about.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 5:05 am

"Boredom, Alienation & Despair"

Rock N' Roll has rarely seen a band as formidable and caustic as Warrior Soul.

Like some unholy psychedelic mix of Black Sabbath, The Cult (Love Era), Midnight Oil and the Sex Pistols. With a guy in the mold of Joy Division's Ian Curtis at the mic, relaying the word to the (non)masses about the stink of the earth.

Fav record would be Salutations, cause Kory's sounding more the man on the edge. His rantings sounding like the manic conspiracy theories you'd expect from a crazed homeless guy on the street corner, much like those of Stiv Bators in his prime.

Life affirming, in short.

And Tall Tyrion, we could talk all day about the awesome Rock City Angels. Also i hear that Mr. Shiney is a big fan of Bobby and the boys. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ghost
Metal master
Metal master
ghost

Number of posts : 814

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 7:39 am

I have Drugs, God & The New Republic and Chil Pill. I like them both, but I prefer Drugs, God & The New Republic a little bit more. I like that the band changes easy between Punk, Progressive Metal, space Sound and psychedelic ballads. The singer is very good.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 10:17 am

Cool to see all the love for Warrior Soul. First time I ever heard "We Cry Out" was on the old Metal Shop radio show. I was down at the beach and literally drove almost the entire surrounding Eastern shore looking for Last Decade Dead Century. It is easily in my top ten favorites. The others are really great too.

They were one of those bands that only I seemed to be into amongst my friends. So they were like MY band. In fact when they opened for Queensryche I remember telling some of my college buddies that they were going to be blown away. Well... I thought it was incredible anyway. As mentioned in the Dissappointing Show thread - the audience didn't really know what to make of it, especially Kory's speeches. They weren't hostile exactly just kind of "when is Queensryche coming on". They could of played all night for all I cared.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:26 am

rattpoison wrote:

And Tall Tyrion, we could talk all day about the awesome Rock City Angels. Also i hear that Mr. Shiney is a big fan of Bobby and the boys. Very Happy

Cool! I found out about them on Metal Shop, so it's not like they got no exposure at all, but I usually find very few people who remember them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:51 am

Quote :
I have Drugs, God & The New Republic

Great album.

"WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT
WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT
WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT
WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT....
AND WE ROCK N ROLL!"

🤘

Last edited by on Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 2:01 pm

I dream Supersonic.....I dream supersonic....

LOVE Warrior Soul....LOVE THEM!!!!

And Tall...bring on the RCA thread....

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 12:54 am

man that dude on the right-side of the album cover reminds me of Michael Hutchence of INXS fame (yes they do suck lol! )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 11:42 am

Cool band, that I hardly listen to. should spin them more.

losers rules.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Warrior Soul Thread   The Warrior Soul Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Warrior Soul Thread
Page 1 of 16Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next