Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

Go down 
+24
the sentinel
UltraMagnus007
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
mez
James B.
Metal Misfit
XYZ
tohostudios
Troublezone
HellRaiser
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
TrogDawn
mr.electric39
Shiney
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
mc666
Tall Tyrion
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:01 pm

If Al Sharpton ever finds out about that, he's gonna OWN CDBaby.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:11 pm

http://www.defleppardsol.com/images/files/nine_lives.mp3

Can't tell much, but it sounds more rockin' than nearly all songs on X. Sounds pretty good, actually. Nothing like the early stuff, though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
http://www.defleppardsol.com/images/files/nine_lives.mp3

Can't tell much, but it sounds more rockin' than nearly all songs on X. Sounds pretty good, actually. Nothing like the early stuff, though...

That sounds pretty awesome, actually. I'd like to hear this whole album....
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 11:48 pm

Sounds like the sun sounds like fun!

When i heard the lyrics Dueces are wild and the title Nine Lives, i thought it was an Aerosmith song.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 2:08 am

Just found a link to the whole song, apparently was broadcast on New Zealand radio!

You can download or play the whole thing here
http://www.melodic.net/newsOne.asp?newsId=9750
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 3:21 am

Hmmm...I don't know. I need to hear a high-quality version and crank it before I make a decision. It's catchy, and definitely better than everything I hate on X. Good to hear a solo, too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Tim McGraw sounds good on it too...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 4:27 pm

Not too bad, actually. I don't know that I'd buy it, but it's not horrible. Now except for the marketing aspect, making it more middle-America/NASCAR friendly, what is the point of having Tim McGraw on it? Did he co-write the song or something? Because from what I can hear, his vocals don't add anything to the mix. Are you telling me Phil Collen couldn't have done those vocals?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 5:14 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Not too bad, actually. I don't know that I'd buy it, but it's not horrible. Now except for the marketing aspect, making it more middle-America/NASCAR friendly, what is the point of having Tim McGraw on it? Did he co-write the song or something? Because from what I can hear, his vocals don't add anything to the mix. Are you telling me Phil Collen couldn't have done those vocals?
I guess Rick Allen's father is his manager, or something like that. So they know him. And they did some performances or award ceremonies with him last year or so. Something like that. The connection isn't so random as it appears.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:53 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
I guess Rick Allen's father is his manager, or something like that. So they know him. And they did some performances or award ceremonies with him last year or so. Something like that. The connection isn't so random as it appears.

ok, I can see that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:41 pm

Ugh...horrible.

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 2008_03_06
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:44 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Ugh...horrible.

Is that the new album cover or some Photoshop collage project that Joe Elliot's son did for school?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Ugh...horrible.

If they were going for a "Sgt. Pepper" style parody, I'd say they failed miserably.

Good grief, that is ugly. It won't exactly scream "BUY ME!" from the store shelf to all those Wal-Mart shoppers will it??

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:49 pm

I thought the backdrop of that video link above was cool. I wouldn't mind that cover. They could at least make a slipsleeve like that and have this dreadful smearing of poop underneath it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 2:56 pm

Quote :
It won't exactly scream "BUY ME!" from the store shelf to all those Wal-Mart shoppers will it??

In all fairness, have you ever seen a Wal-Mart shopper with good taste? I mean, really, matching your XXX-L flannel pajama bottoms, pink fuzzy slippers and a Dale Earnhardt jacket just comes naturally to these people. A horrible mosiac of a cheap Sgt Pepper knock-off will look great in the trailer, next to the Gatorade lamp, football phone, a 40 of PBR and bag of cheesy-poofs.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:05 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

In all fairness, have you ever seen a Wal-Mart shopper with good taste? I mean, really, matching your XXX-L flannel pajama bottoms, pink fuzzy slippers and a Dale Earnhardt jacket just comes naturally to these people. A horrible mosiac of a cheap Sgt Pepper knock-off will look great in the trailer, next to the Gatorade lamp, football phone, a 40 of PBR and bag of cheesy-poofs.

But... but... I LOVE Cheesy Poofs!!

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 200px-211_poofs_commercial

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:09 pm

Since I'm late to this party I want to first say, I'm also a big 'ol DL fanboy. Sickeningly so at one time, wearing out Hysteria and making everyone around me learn the lyrics to, Gods of War. Yeah, they changed but most groups do to some degree and I found stuff to like. Except maybe X. What bothers me is their insistence that they've always been more glam then Judas Priest. WTH? Listen to, On Through The Night and tell me thats not NWOBHM. Makes me think Clark was what was driving the metal machine and now they are floundering a little. Though I can't remember if he was on, OTTN. Anyways.
And no more going country.
I don't hate that cover. Hand me some cheesy-poofs.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 3:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

As do I. The difference is we don't leave the bag laying out as a "conversation piece" because of the Toby Keith beltbuckle giveaway promotion on the back.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2008 6:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

As do I. The difference is we don't leave the bag laying out as a "conversation piece" because of the Toby Keith beltbuckle giveaway promotion on the back.

If we didn't eat cheesy poofs we'd be lame
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 2:54 am

So it's official. I'm excited for this album! I can already say it blows X away. Not that that was hard.

BAD ACTRESS
C'MON C'MON
GO

There is definitely an old school rock feel to a lot of these songs, but I wouldn't say it's a Def Leppard sound. A lot of the songs seem like they're channeling their influences rather than playing things you'd have heard on High N Dry, or any other album. Just listen to "Bad Actress" and "C'mon C'mon" (played on the radio, so there are overdubs and fade ins/outs).

There are some experimental tracks—like "Cruise Control" and "Gotta Let It Go"—that could have easily been on later albums, but even most of those tunes have something retro about them. "Go" is probably the most experimental and modern-sounding, but it's a great song. Nice and heavy.
Back to top Go down
HellRaiser
Metal student
Metal student
HellRaiser

Number of posts : 242

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 4:21 am

Thanks for the links Eyesore - been dying for some sneak previews of songs from the album Very Happy (aside from the McGraw song of course)

I'm a Lep fanboy, so take my comments for whatever they're worth, but my hope for this album was simply that the band would take their 70s rock influences (as demonstrated on 'Yeah!') and translate them to an album of original material. I've pretty much accepted that they won't be doing another 'On Through The Night' or 'High N Dry' as the band seems to want to, at least, partially cater to current trends. Those previews pretty much affirmed what I'd been hoping for and expecting - the band's trademark big harmonies combined with a retro 70s rock feel (with some modern leanings).

Much better than 'X' though - that's for sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 5:10 am

I definitely think them doing all those cover songs for Yeah! put them in a different headspace. For X they were clearly going for acceptance in the mainstream pop-rock crowd, which is why they had those "songwriters" co-write—or in the case of "Long Long Way To Go," completely write—most of the songs on the album.

I hope to see just the band credited as songwriters on this upcoming album. Collaborating with people is different. Def Leppard collaborated with Mutt Lange. Bon Jovi collaborated with Desmond Child. When a songwriting team is brought in to the studio, that's not collaborating. So we'll see, but the album is solid, from what I can hear. And I should have linked this before, but there are samples for every song here:

http://www.deflepparduk.com/sparkleloungepreview.html
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 5:23 am

ultmetal wrote:
Ronnie Keel anyone?

Eric AK from Flotsam has a country band called The AK Corral. I'm not kidding. Laughing

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2005-09-01/music/cowboys-from-hell/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 12:08 am

The samples don't sound too bad. Some of the BGV's are really classic DL.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 11:49 am

I've bought every album that they put out, but I am not going to waste my money again with the new one. I wasted every dollar with the releases after Hysteria, and I could have bought something that was worth it. I makes ME WANNA smurfing CRY! Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next