Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

Go down 
+24
the sentinel
UltraMagnus007
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
mez
James B.
Metal Misfit
XYZ
tohostudios
Troublezone
HellRaiser
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
TrogDawn
mr.electric39
Shiney
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
mc666
Tall Tyrion
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:23 am

spectrefate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Duran Duran are a good band...

Duran Duran are a GREAT band.

I third this notion. Great band.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:29 am

Eyesore wrote:
#21. Track 1 on On Through The Night is not called "Metal Brigade."

#22. Track 8 on On Through The Night is not called "Metals Off."

#23. Track 1 on Pyromania is not called "Metal Metal ('Til You Drop)."

#24. Track 7 on Pyromania is not called "Metal Of Ages."

#25. I win! cheers

Eyesore, what are your thoughts on Black Sabbath, Ozzy & Dio? Are they Heavy Metal bands/artists?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:40 am

Ozzy will call BLACK SABBATH "Rock and Roll"...but the style they created went on to be copied and expanded upon by bands that were indeed Heavy Metal...in that sense, BLACK SABBATH were the first Heavy Metal band. At the time, there was not a single Rock band anywhere composing the sort of eerie, creepy, dark songs that BLACK SABBATH did...this went on to define Heavy Metal and spawn many sub-genres...some even say that BLACK SABBATH wrote the first Punk Rock song ("Paranoid")...
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:41 am

rattpoison wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Duran Duran are a good band...

Duran Duran are a GREAT band.

I third this notion. Great band.

Ehhh.. Maybe, but I still can't stomach their music, and the first two
Def Leppard discs have little to NO influence from those sorts of bands
that I can hear. They are straight up metal, no matter what Joe Elliot
says.

Song titles mean nothing as well. Judas Priest had Rock Forever; I'm a
Rocker; Rock Hard, Ride Free etc... but they are still a metal band.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 10:46 am

Song titles don't mean anything...agreed...I think Eyesore was being funny.

Also, the one thing that DL did have from the beginning were layered vocal harmonies...listen to "Hello America" and "Rock Brigade"...at the time it must've sounded like The Beach Boys singing backup for a bar band...LOL!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:17 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Also, the one thing that DL did have from the beginning were layered vocal harmonies...listen to "Hello America" and "Rock Brigade"...at the time it must've sounded like The Beach Boys singing backup for a bar band...LOL!
Of course I was being funny (or trying to). "Rocks Off" isn't even a reference to music. Haha.

Either way, I still think songs like "Rock Brigade," "Hello America," "It Don't Matter" are rock songs, as well as most others. There are songs, however, like "Overture," that lean much closer to metal than rock. I just don't think there's enough of those songs/moments to label the band as metal.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Of course I was being funny (or trying to). "Rocks Off" isn't even a reference to music. Haha.

Either way, I still think songs like "Rock Brigade," "Hello America," "It Don't Matter" are rock songs, as well as most others. There are songs, however, like "Overture," that lean much closer to metal than rock. I just don't think there's enough of those songs/moments to label the band as metal.

See, I really dont consider the albums purely metal as much as I consider them part of the NWOBHM movement. More of a case of place and time to me. There are songs on the albums I DO consider metal however.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am

Eyesore wrote:
"Rocks Off" isn't even a reference to music. Haha.

What does it refer to? surprised
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 am

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I was hoping you were kidding, because if we're going to use song titles as reference to whether bands were metal or not (by the fact that they used Rock 'N' Roll in it), then every metal band in existance would most likely cease to exist. I thought to myself, wow this is going to be the easiest theory I've ever been able to debunk in my life.

Dio- We Rock
Dio- King of Rock 'N Roll
Dio- Rock 'N' Roll Children
Dio- Rock 'N' Roll
Black Sabbath - Rock 'N' Roll Doctor
Ozzy - You Can't Kill Rock 'N' Roll
Ozzy - Rock 'N' Roll Rebel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:38 am

Quote :
More of a case of place and time to me.

That's all it ever was.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 12:22 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I was hoping you were kidding, because if we're going to use song titles as reference to whether bands were metal or not (by the fact that they used Rock 'N' Roll in it), then every metal band in existance would most likely cease to exist. I thought to myself, wow this is going to be the easiest theory I've ever been able to debunk in my life.

Dio- We Rock
Dio- King of Rock 'N Roll
Dio- Rock 'N' Roll Children
Dio- Rock 'N' Roll
Black Sabbath - Rock 'N' Roll Doctor
Ozzy - You Can't Kill Rock 'N' Roll
Ozzy - Rock 'N' Roll Rebel

Twisted Sister - You Can't Stop Rock And Roll
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm

Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
MSG - Rock Will Never Die

🤘
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 11:07 pm

DeathCult wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

See, I really dont consider the albums purely metal as much as I consider them part of the NWOBHM movement. More of a case of place and time to me. There are songs on the albums I DO consider metal however.

About a year ago at this time I posted that I felt that DL were a metal band and had always been. But, after reading through this thread and the more recent one where Joe Elliot and Bret Michaels were arguing, I have changed my opinion. Due to the intelligent arguments of many posters here, both for and against, by boardmembers like Eyesore, rattpoison, soldierundercommand, metalinmyveins, shawn of fire, metal misfit and a few others whose names escape me at the moment (sorry), I have reversed my thinking and would now agree that they are a hard rock band(and have always been just that) and have the right to be whatever kind of band they want to be right now and into the future. I guess what brought me around was the fact that the band (like many others) never declared themselves to be heavy metal, but were instead placed there by the press, Mtv, and various publications.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 12:18 am

the sentinel wrote:
I guess what brought me around was the fact that the band (like many others) never declared themselves to be heavy metal, but were instead placed there by the press, Mtv, and various publications.
And that's what this is all about. I only started listening to W.A.S.P. like last year sometime. What I hear with that band is rock music. I don't hear a metal band. Most of the board scoffed at that notion. I don't think AC/DC is metal; I don't think Aerosmith is metal; I don't think Twisted Sister is metal. But does it matter? Do I give a crap if Dee Snider says Twisted Sister were always a metal band and were never a part of that crap rock scene? Who gives a crap! I don't know why people get so sauced over silly things. I care about this:

Do I like the music? Yes or no. That's it.

If Def Leppard say they're not metal, and have never declared themselves a metal band, then they're not metal. You can choose to not believe them, of course, but it doesn't make it so. And it doesn't make sense getting all riled up over it.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 1:01 am

Close the thread. We keep going in circles!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 11:57 am

Eyesore wrote:

Do I like the music? Yes or no. That's it.

Exactly. It's a free country, listen to whatever you like. I do. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 12:40 pm

Wrong. Everyone has to agree with me, or else! angry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 2:43 pm

Def Leppard are a Hard Rock band with Pop and Metal elements. IMH(umble)O.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
"Rocks Off" isn't even a reference to music. Haha.
What does it refer to? surprised
Well, it references a show, but it's more about just getting off. Particularly in or on that girl in the red satin dress. Laughing
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 5:36 pm

How is this thread still alive?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 5:39 pm

xyz wrote:
How is this thread still alive?

Stubborness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 6:12 pm

Because it's not a flamewar. No sense in closing it if people aren't fighting. Of course, there are two identical conversations going on here and that other thread.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 10:37 am

Eyesore wrote:

Well, it references a show, but it's more about just getting off. Particularly in or on that girl in the red satin dress. Laughing

Oh c'mon, Eyesey Eye, I was kidding! Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 11:31 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Oh c'mon, Eyesey Eye, I was kidding! Razz
Oh. Haha. Hey, I thought maybe that was an unknown term where you live.

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 382568
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:58 pm

Right now, I'm watching a DL bootleg from 1983 on DVD from their Rockapalast date that year. They sure sound pretty metal to me. Smile Joe had such a strong voice and Steve Clark was so much the soul of the band at that time, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next