Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

Go down 
+24
the sentinel
UltraMagnus007
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
mez
James B.
Metal Misfit
XYZ
tohostudios
Troublezone
HellRaiser
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
TrogDawn
mr.electric39
Shiney
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
mc666
Tall Tyrion
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 2:07 am

So here's some promising news, I guess:

Quote :
Tim McGraw joins Def Leppard on Nine Lives, the first single from the band's Songs From the Sparkle Lounge album. Nine Lives came about after the country singer sang Pour Some Sugar on Me with the band at a 2006 Hollywood Bowl concert. They reconnected at a Nashville show. McGraw tour manager, Robert Allen, is Leppard drummer Rick Allen's brother."

The article continues: "Sparkle Lounge also breaks a 25-year pattern of using single-word album titles. The name refers to a backstage area on the 2006 tour for the members to write songs. "The whole record's got a '70s feel," Leppard's Joe Elliott says. "By our standards, it's a very adventurous album. It's not OK Computer [the acclaimed Radiohead classic], but it's got moments that some of our fans are going to think have gone slightly left field." Sparkle Lounge is out March 18, nine days before the band starts its tour with Styx and REO Speedwagon."

So that's good. I didn't know there was an actual connection between McGraw and Def Leppard. Cool, but I still remain a skeptic. Laughing
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Why are all these former 80's rockers going this route?
Surprisingly, it's not uncommon. Only since Bon Jovi did it has it become a mainstream fact. But a lot of old 80s rockers turned toward the country thing long ago. Tons of them have country-esque side projects, whether largely acoustic or bluesy, there's country there. I never understood it either.
Like Rebel Meets Rebel perhaps? Laughing
No. That's still metal.

i think thats the only country album i would ever buy if i ever saw it anywhere
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 3:06 pm

TheGooch wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Chairman_Smith wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Why are all these former 80's rockers going this route?
Surprisingly, it's not uncommon. Only since Bon Jovi did it has it become a mainstream fact. But a lot of old 80s rockers turned toward the country thing long ago. Tons of them have country-esque side projects, whether largely acoustic or bluesy, there's country there. I never understood it either.
Like Rebel Meets Rebel perhaps? Laughing
No. That's still metal.
i think thats the only country album i would ever buy if i ever saw it anywhere
It's not a country album.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 3:28 pm

is it not? i heard rebel versus rebel had a country singer and dimebag darrel playing guitar.

obviously the music dimebag darrel did with pantera was not country music but i heard this was a country side project

i mean to get it one day

Last edited by on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 4:58 pm

TheGooch wrote:
is it not i weird it had a country singer and dimebag darrel playing guitar. obviously nothing he did was country music
Huh? surprised
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Eyesore wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
is it not i weird it had a country singer and dimebag darrel playing guitar. obviously nothing he did was country music
Huh? surprised

sorry, i wrote weird instead of heard for some reason

i have edited the post
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 5:34 pm

Oh. No, it's not a country album. There is some southern influence, and the singer is a country singer, but musically it's a metal album. The singer isn't great anyway, so it's not an easy album to get into.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 5:44 pm

shame about the singer being bad. do they sound like Down for instance being the only southern metal band i can instantly think off
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:38 pm

The singer (David Allan Coe) on the Rebel Meets Rebel CD is definitely an acquired taste, he sounds kinda like a drunken Kermit the Frog!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:40 pm

TheGooch wrote:
shame about the singer being bad. do they sound like Down for instance being the only southern metal band i can instantly think off

What the heck is "southern metal"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:53 pm

spectrefate wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
What the heck is "southern metal"?
Down. Laughing

I consider southern metal to be a band that is clearly channeling that Lynyrd Skynyrd sound, but much heavier. Corrosion Of Conformity, for example (the latter stuff).

I visited a friend up in Maine this past Summer and down in his basement (Man Land) he had a PC with a ton of MP3s. We were drinking, playing darts and stuff, and this old-sounding country song came on and the guy kept saying some ridiculous things and ending it with "...if I was a nigger." It was David Allen Coe.

That song became the running joke of the weekend. Haha. It was so stupid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 6:55 pm

Yeah, DAC is a regular genius with a racial slur. He also thinks everyone should speak English only in America. Hmmm.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 9:19 pm

Eyesore wrote:

I visited a friend up in Maine this past Summer and down in his basement (Man Land) he had a PC with a ton of MP3s. We were drinking, playing darts and stuff, and this old-sounding country song came on and the guy kept saying some ridiculous things and ending it with "...if I was a nigger." It was David Allen Coe.

My sister had that album, I think. It was pretty dirty as I recall, but also very funny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 10:26 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

My sister had that album, I think. It was pretty dirty as I recall, but also very funny.
My friend said he heard it was supposed to be a joke. But the song sounded like it was recorded about a hundred years ago.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 10:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:

My friend said he heard it was supposed to be a joke. But the song sounded like it was recorded about a hundred years ago.

That was my recollection as well. It was a very badly dubbed tape and very polically incorrect, but I'll admit I found it funny as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 10:56 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

That was my recollection as well. It was a very badly dubbed tape and very polically incorrect, but I'll admit I found it funny as well.
Oh, it was funny. And safe up there in northern Maine, where only white people live. Haha. It was funny, though, when someone would say something like, "Hey Jeff, can you grab me a beer while you're over there?" And Jeff would go, "I would...if I was a nigger." Haha. It was just stupid, random nonsense (nothing racist about it, for anyone feeling super-sensitive). Good times, though.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 12:10 am

Honestly, I don't remember a whole bunch of racism, just that it was filthy. My sister lived in Bisbee AZ at the time, not exactly a racist haven. I wonder if DAC had more than one "underground" album? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 1:52 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Honestly, I don't remember a whole bunch of racism, just that it was filthy. My sister lived in Bisbee AZ at the time, not exactly a racist haven. I wonder if DAC had more than one "underground" album? scratch
Well, some people, especially white people, will label the most nonsensical crap as racism. That was just a disclaimer. Afro Lint is my username on another forum, and apparently that's racist, according to some people. Haha. Those are the people I was putting that out there for, though I do think we're all adult enough here that it wasn't needed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 9:24 am

Afro Lint. I like that.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 9:45 am

Quote :
Corrosion Of Conformity

Deliverance has that dirty "southern" sound to me. I love Deliverance.

Black Label Society = "southern metal" to my ears.

Not a genre per se, but just a sort of general feel I guess.....
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 10:15 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:

Try looking up "Johnny Rebel". The urban legend is that it is David Allen Coe singing really over-the-top racist songs. DAC was on the Howard Stern show and they brought up Johnny Rebel and he neither confirmed nor denied that it was him.

CAUTION: The Johnny Rebel songs are not for the faint of heart or easily offended.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:19 am

http://cdbaby.com/cd/johnnyrebel

Aint America grand??
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:47 am

spectrefate wrote:
http://cdbaby.com/cd/johnnyrebel

Aint America grand??

I heard some of these songs on the Howard Stern show years ago. If memory serves, "She Ran Off With a N***er" caused the most in-studio hysterics among Howard and his crew. Jackie the Joke Man had the most fun with it, i.e. "Imagine the recording sessions for this stuff? Big rebel flag in the background, Jack Daniels bottles everywherre... do they have charts for this in Billboard? 'Topping the Racist Music Chart this week at #1 with a bullet, here's Johnny Rebel!'"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 2:04 pm

Holy crap! I can't believe CD Baby sells that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Holy crap! I can't believe CD Baby sells that.

I gotta say I'm a bit surprised about that too. CD Baby truly IS for the independant artist.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Page 2 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next