Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard...

Go down 
+21
manny
Metal Misfit
journeyman
Glenn Rogers
TrogDawn
KissinMaiden
7thSecond
Required Fields
DallasBlack
rattpoison
Troublezone
mr.electric39
thejokeriv
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
mc666
caniplaywithmadness?
kmorg
zombiewalkin
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
25 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Were Def Leppard ever a heavy metal band...
YES! Of course they were a heavy metal band when they started.
Def Leppard... Vote_lcap80%Def Leppard... Vote_rcap
 80% [ 37 ]
NO! They were always a pop band.
Def Leppard... Vote_lcap20%Def Leppard... Vote_rcap
 20% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 46

AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 8:56 am

I have a lot of respect for the wealth of metal knowledge this board has. Soooo, here's the question. Do you think, in your opinion, that Def Leppard were ever a heavy metal band, or do you agree with the band that they were always just a pop band. I am curious to see what other opinions of the matter are.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 8:56 am

I am of the opinion that they started out in much the same way as the other New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands like Saxon and Maiden, influenced by the likes of Thin Lizzy, UFO, Sweet, Mott the Hoople, Wishbone Ash, etc. Their first EP, On Through the Night, High & Dry and to a lesser degree Pyromania, were most certainly heavy metal albums. As they became more popular they went more and more glossy pop, which is fine. That's the direction that they chose. However, there is no doubt in my mind that they started out as a metal band, even if Joe Elliot now claims they never were a metal band to begin with. Thoughts? Comments?

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 9:55 am

Well, my favorite album of all time is High N' Dry, so that tells you something...

Def Leppard kills me. Listen to 'Overture' from On Through The Night and then 'Make Love Like A Man' from Adrenalize...like wtf.

First two albums were heavy metal in the NWOBHM vein, Pyromania was American Glam, Hysteria was American AOR, and the rest were pretty much a poor man's Bryan Adams 'effort'.

It's a sad state of affairs to be honest. I'd look forward to reading their autobigraphy whenever it comes out. I'd be curious to know how they went from High N' Dry to bouncy formage teeny bop 3 albums later.

I realize the bullshat they went through with Rick Allen's arm to Steve Clark's death...it's just these fellas were ridcliously promising at a young age, and then all too soon became a whoar to the allmighty dollar.

Sad.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:34 am

Sure. On Through The Night and High N' Dry were classic metal albums that still sound great today. Pyromania was a little more polished, but still had it's metal elements. Then for me, they just went downhill from there. Sure, they've sold millions of albums, made some great coin and faced great adversity and was still able to keep it together. Good for them. The path they chose was the right one for them. It got them the fame and fortune they wanted. They could have stayed the course of metal and ended up either a forgotton footnote in the history music like so many other NWOBHM bands of the era or a washed-up joke, touring the mid-west with Poison & Ratt.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:50 am

Yep....first two were great NWOBHM....Pyromania much more polished but still very metal.....then the end of a great band. LOL
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:56 am

Of course they started out as a metal band.

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 11:59 am

their first 3 are metal albums i fink. pyromania was just more polished than the other 2. stagefright rocks
Back to top Go down

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 11:59 am

Stagefright was a wicked tune...when I was out with injury for the high school hockey team I'd play Stagefright and Switch 625 during warm-up...I was cool then.

I remember Blabbermouth recently had an article in it sayin that Joe Elliot never considered Leppard to be a metal band...right.

Joe's a flamer.

Last edited by on Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 12:03 pm

Yes, Joe Elliot has been saying that Def Leppard were never a metal band since the late 1990's when heavy metal became a dirty word.

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 1:20 pm

Mutt Lange was the Bob Rock of the 80's.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 1:35 pm

i don't think they started out metal, however they have not always been a pop band. that really didn't start until Pyromania imho.

they started out a regular rock band.

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 1:40 pm

mc666 wrote:
i don't think they started out metal, however they have not always been a pop band. that really didn't start until Pyromania imho.

they started out a regular rock band.

Do you also think that about Saxon, Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Satan, Blitzkrieg, etc.? They all had a sound not far off from "On Through the Night" and "The Def Leppard EP".
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 1:42 pm

I would say they were a rock'n roll band, or if you really stretch it maybe hard rock. We've had this discussion before and I don't consider artists like Meatloaf, Bryan Adams, or Def Leppard to be heavy metal.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 1:55 pm

Meatloaf and Bryan Adams? What do these two bands have to do with "High n Dry", "On Through the Night" and the Def Leppard EP? Not the same style whatsoever. Sure on later albums Def Leppard were a pop band not unlike Bryan Adams, but those early albums were NWOBHM in my opinion and in most records of metal history.

Check out www.nwobhm.com

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Ult: I don't think these people have heard those albums, and they certainly weren't around when Def Leppard, together with Iron Maiden and Saxon fronted the NWOBHM scene. It's a historical FACT, not something you can look back upon and claim it never happened.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 2:41 pm

I would say they started out metal and evolved into the polished pop rock they are known for today
Back to top Go down

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 3:09 pm

lol Meatloaf or Bryan Adams??...lol ok.
Back to top Go down

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 3:26 pm

I don't think they were ever a heavy metal band, nor do I think they've always been a pop band. Obviously now they're much more pop than their early years, but only on X would I ever really consider them a pop band. Was Hysteria really any different from the countless other rock albums out at the time? Of course not. Sure, their choruses were big and catchy—bigger and catchier than most—but they were still a rock band.

As I've mentioned before, Def Leppard is my all-time band (shut your mouth!), but I've always had problems with people calling them a heavy metal band. If On Through The Night came out in 1987, it would have sounded like Hysteria. Just listen to the vocal harmonies on that album—"Hello America," "Rock Brigade," "Satellite," "When The Walls Came Tumbling Down," etc. It was all there. They were obviously a bit more raw back then, with them being young and all, playing a more aggressive style—relatively speaking—but all the latter day ingredients are present on the early Def Leppard albums, they were just recorded in a sort of "sign-of-the-times" kind of way, which made it seem different. It's all perspective—I think—and I don't hear a heavy metal band; I simply hear a raw version of what the band was later.

With X, though, they fully turned down that pop rock road. They were surely never glam or AOR, though.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 7:07 pm

They were a metal band, I agree that the first 3 were metal albums. Joe Elliot had no problem being called metal when they were selling millions of albums in the US
Back to top Go down

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
They could have stayed the course of metal and ended up either a forgotton footnote in the history music like so many other NWOBHM bands of the era or a washed-up joke, touring the mid-west with Poison & Ratt.

Just got my tickets to see them with Foreigner and Styx at the Kentucky State Fair in August. May not be Poison and Ratt but I know a washed-up joke when I hear it.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:32 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I am of the opinion that they started out in much the same way as the other New Wave of British Heavy Metal bands like Saxon and Maiden, influenced by the likes of Thin Lizzy, UFO, Sweet, Mott the Hoople, Wishbone Ash, etc. Their first EP, On Through the Night, High & Dry and to a lesser degree Pyromania, were most certainly heavy metal albums. As they became more popular they went more and more glossy pop, which is fine. That's the direction that they chose. However, there is no doubt in my mind that they started out as a metal band, even if Joe Elliot now claims they never were a metal band to begin with. Thoughts? Comments?

I couldn't agree more. They had the same management as AC/DC at the time so you can see the Mutt tie in there.

Joe has probably grown as an "artiste"...... yea..... I still like 'em for what they were and what they are. cheers !!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:52 pm

quiettype wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
They could have stayed the course of metal and ended up either a forgotton footnote in the history music like so many other NWOBHM bands of the era or a washed-up joke, touring the mid-west with Poison & Ratt.

Just got my tickets to see them with Foreigner and Styx at the Kentucky State Fair in August. May not be Poison and Ratt but I know a washed-up joke when I hear it.

Whoops. No offense to you, though Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 10:58 pm

And for the record, Def Leppard are still selling out arenas. They may be far from what you once liked about them, but they're far from washed-up.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2007 11:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
And for the record, Def Leppard are still selling out arenas. They may be far from what you once liked about them, but they're far from washed-up.

I was just trying to make a joke. Lighten up, Francis.
Back to top Go down

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 12, 2007 12:44 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
I was just trying to make a joke. Lighten up, Francis.
They're my favorite band. angry

Might I also add that it's not just Joe that talks the "we were always a pop band" crap. They all do it. Of course, when I think pop, I think of NSync and crap. I don't think they mean it that way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Def Leppard... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard...   Def Leppard... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard...
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next