Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge

Go down 
+24
the sentinel
UltraMagnus007
metalinmyveins
thejokeriv
mez
James B.
Metal Misfit
XYZ
tohostudios
Troublezone
HellRaiser
DeathCult
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
TheGooch
Chairman_Smith
TrogDawn
mr.electric39
Shiney
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
rattpoison
mc666
Tall Tyrion
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 8:42 pm

Night of the Living Thread.

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 9:23 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Right now, I'm watching a DL bootleg from 1983 on DVD from their Rockapalast date that year. They sure sound pretty metal to me. Smile Joe had such a strong voice and Steve Clark was so much the soul of the band at that time, IMO.
Is that where they play "Medicine Man," the early version of "Rock Rock (Till You Drop)?"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 9:27 pm

No, it is dated 83 but it has to be 84. The tracklist is Rock Rock, Billy's Got A, Foolin, Rock of Ages and Let It Go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 pm

spectrefate wrote:
No, it is dated 83 but it has to be 84. The tracklist is Rock Rock, Billy's Got A, Foolin, Rock of Ages and Let It Go.
Yeah, maybe. There's not many boots from the early 80s. The most common is the Reading Festival where they play "Medicine Man."

I have that show on an old cassette tape I bought from a bootlegger at the Brockton Fair back in the 80s.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 10:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0dHLI-XS1k

1979. Steve's rainbow tights are pretty metal, if you ask me. And those ruffled shirts...awesome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 10:13 pm

Here's the bootleg I was referring to earlier. Not the best quality, but an awesome document, methinks.

http://rapidshare.de/files/39564493/Def.Leppard.-.Rockpalast.1983_by_DarkBattM14.mpg.html
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 10:31 am

I see ...Sparkle Lounge is starting to pop-up in the used bins already. I still ain't getting it though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 4:59 pm

WOW !!!! The thread that would not die indeed, I enjoyed reading all the different opinions on Def Leppard, not just Sparkle Lounge Lp. I actually like " Sparkle Lounge', for some reason everytime I pick up a Def Leppard cd I am always expecting to be disappointed, maybe it is because I read advance reviews which are always negative and state how they have turned their backs on their formative metal roots, but I always ending liking their albums, I think " Sparkle Lounge" is a good not great Def Leppard album, I can't imagine them ever coming close to writing songs like their first two albums, but I am glad they made a solid rock album with plenty of pop hooks, at this point in their career I couldn't ask for anything more. I am glad to see that it did as well as it did.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 pm

The thread that would not die is RESURRECTED!!!

I just received a copy of this album. First spin...I'm not sure. I'm having a hard time even calling this rock. It's very pop oriented.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Did you expect anything less than "pop oriented"? Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 12:38 pm

My final verdict, after much back and forth, is that I hate this album...
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 am

S wrote:

I'm with you. There is just nothing on here for a rock or metal fan to like. This is just pure pop dribble. My review is written. I really did attempt to like this album. I gave it plenty of spins before finally writing a review.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 61

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 4:55 pm

I hate Sparkle Lounge...one of their worst offerings. However I love sLang & Euphora of the post Hysteria albums.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 5:31 pm

I must be a bigger fanboy of Def Leppard then I suspected, I actually liked the album. No they never go back to the days of 'High n Dry' ( too bad) or even 'Pyromania' but I still liked the album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 19, 2010 5:37 pm

I like it ok and isn't the real question: is it good pop? Cheap Trick do a lot of pop music and since DL claim bands like Sweet are their inspiration wouldn't this fit?
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 9:55 pm

I started liking "Love" a lot, it has a Stairway To Heaven meets Queen feel to it.

"Go" is also a catchy tune, but "Come On, Come On" practically drove me over the edge and on a drinking binge.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Just saw their episode of btm remastered I think I want Yeah I love their Bowie cover
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 6:16 pm

I like this one from Yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouCjVCIA6gU&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Yeah is a great album. It was basically the soundtrack of that summer for me and my fiancee.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 11:48 am

Quote :
Yeah is a great album.

That's the last album I've heard (and liked) since RetroActive. I thought they did a nice job both in the selection as well as the execution of the songs they chose to cover.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 8:04 pm

If I like it it would be my first probobly since Adrenelized
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 10:41 am

Addy wrote:
If I like it it would be my first probobly since Adrenelized

I remember thinking Adrenelized wasn't too bad, but I've never bothered upgrading from tape. Haven't heard that one in a long, long time, but I'm familair with the singles.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 8:51 pm

Adrenelized was one of the very first CDs i ever bought
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 10:30 am

ultmetal wrote:
S wrote:

I'm with you. There is just nothing on here for a rock or metal fan to like. This is just pure pop dribble. My review is written. I really did attempt to like this album. I gave it plenty of spins before finally writing a review.

The only difference between what DL is attempting and what Bon Jovi are attempting is that Bon Jovi is having more success with it. They've both become such watered-down drivel that I can hardly stand it. But, they make more money than me so more power to them.

I think X has much better songs, better hooks, better everything than Songs From...

The thing is, I don't know why DL keeps making new albums. Bon Jovi chases trends and it works for them and they capitalize on it and stay relevant to the times (like Aerosmith did, good or bad)...although since Crush I think each album has steadily sold less and less.

DL keeps trying to to what Bon Jovi and Aerosmith managed to do...and they keep failing miserably. At this point, I seriously doubt there can be any artistic satisfaction for DL turning out stuff like "C'Mon C'Mon". I mean, they've had their fluff lyrics at times but that takes the cake. Slang...IMO...was the bands last great record...and that followed the boring Adrenalize...the others have had some OK songs on them (for my taste) but as a solid front to back listen, Slang was the last glimpse of greatness from them.

IMO, they need to stop trying to have their big platinum resurgence and just do a farewell tour and break up...but what do I know?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge   Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Def Leppard - Songs From The Sparkle Lounge
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10